Stranger Things

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pretty sure Ultra Magnus didn't debut until the 1986 Transformers movie but Dustin has the toy in 1985, season 3 ruined
i even made a post about scramble city a month ago
The Video Thread

i also had the same god damn worthless ultra magnus toy

when you pushed the arms up, it had the most distinctive click clack sound.
time stamped

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am as big of a SJW basher as there is, but coming out as gay in the 80s to close friends was not that big a deal, especially for lesbians. Towns are generally small enough that everyone fucking knows who is gay or isn't, anyhow. Pretty every female gym teacher in the midwest was a half in the closet lesbian. And interracial couples might have gotten some jeers, but again small town blacks in the Midwest generally had it normal back then. One black guy who moves in and lives normally is exotic. Its not until more of his pals show up and start fucking things up that the racism really comes out. Or at least that was my experience in rural Wisconsin back in the 80s as a teenager. I mean, there were insults but people didn't get all pussy hurt about it because they saw it on the Jeffersons and elsewhere. Not really that big of a deal, at least where I grew up. You would get more shit for being a single mom or a nerd, honestly.

But yeah, we all know it was tossed in there because Netflix cannot help themselves. Guess we will see how this goes. This is the one season I actually liked, because it was familiar to me (small town kids would regularly go to the mall in the "big" towns where I grew up) and the pop culture reference drops were not as blatant as other 80s period pieces I have seen recently. More importantly, it ended extremely well which seems to be an issue for a lot of these types of shows lately. I agree with Mario that this is probably going to be the last watchable season, but I think that will have more to do with the cast becoming too old and popular sinking the chemistry, rather than Netflix wokeness.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well it also serves the story of Steve never being able to catch a break...which I am okay with since his character arc is amazing.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The one thing I'd say is the story is kinda spinning nowhere, the Illithid Mind Flayer has lost a lot of its fearsomeness because now this is three times where a bunch of kids (along with 11 of course) have kicked its ass, if a bunch of M80 fireworks will hurt it so much how long would it really survive against a M134 minigun or apache chopper? They sorta failed to up the stakes this season, I hope the end stinger goes somewhere meaningful and not just a location fake out.

This, I get it was forth of july and they tried to explain how powerful the fireworks are but was very cheesy. Also all the Russians living under the city they could have done a few things to make this more plausible and not Dr. Evil's lair compleate with little carts.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The coke ads were just egregious, great season though.

That was done by design more so than product placement in my opinion. When New Coke was introduced, the whole world population was in a huge battle of which formula was better until Coke gave in and came back out with Coke Classic. About the only thing missing there would have been a blind taste test booth in the mall with Coke, Pepsi, and RC Cola. But I remember when it was a VERY big deal that Coke changed their formula.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
re: the ending
The one thing I wonder about is time travel, they peppered the end with BTF references so I wonder if Hopper is indeed in Russia... but its a different time?

I do not think it is Hopper at all, but Martin Brenner (Matt Modine from Season 1) as you never really see him die. Or, it could be Eleven's Father who presumably was captured in Vietnam and may have had the same powers now being held prisoner and being used for the same purpose as Eleven was in Season 1.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I do not think it is Hopper at all, but Martin Brenner (Matt Modine from Season 1) as you never really see him die. Or, it could be Eleven's Father who presumably was captured in Vietnam and may have had the same powers now being held prisoner and being used for the same purpose as Eleven was in Season 1.

He was said to be alive during an episode in season 2. He, Modine, will be reunited with 11 and will help her become whole again and bring back her adoptive dad.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
When people ask me who my favorite super hero is, I tell them "Chief Jim Hopper."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think this means next season will

Next season will end up with the experiment/portal being the cause of Chernobyl.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Blown

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

They are usually very tight lipped on viewing numbers so they must be super pumped about this.

I would hate to be one of the dozen+ media executives who told the Duffer Bros to pound salt as they shopped the idea around to everyone before Netflix threw some $ at them as part of their shotgun approach to original content creation.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The whole scoops chick coming out as gay wasn't bad or forced too much and, Steve is the best character and he's going to make her straight anyway

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The whole scoops chick coming out as gay wasn't bad or forced too much and, Steve is the best character and he's going to make her straight anyway
He is awesome. My favorite character on the show.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
its too bad the It remake is already here and popular, I think the Duffer Brothers could have really gone out on a super high final season if they fast forward 10-15 years and have new actors but now that may seem like they are copying It

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just finished S3 tonight. Damn i liked it, more than S2 I think, though the ending of S2 killed it as well. This show really has great actors all around. Was a bit irritated that they telegraphed the ending with the "lets go on a date, after we finally reveal our feelings for each other" trope. But I think half of us are in agreement about who is in that cell, so /shrug

Erica annoyed the ever living fuck outta me, but she eventually grew on me. Lesbian was fine. As someone else said, its Steves job to suffer.

Will annoys me for some reason i cant put my finger on. Love everyone else though. Even Billy, who got his moment.

Season 4 confirmed (duh). Sounds like Netflix may be sucking the brothers dicks for a 5th season.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This show really has great actors all around.

not only this, but there were a lot of times through this season where i was struck by just how BIG this cast is. and you can't really say any one character is more important than the others -- plotwise El and Will are, but they've also had the weakest dialog this season (maybe intentionally to give the other characters room to shine?).

it's really, really rare to have a cast be this big and have everyone on it be pretty good. what an awesome show. the plot for season 4 is going to have to be pretty contrived by this point i think, but i still can't wait for it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Will was me when I was a kid, when all my friends got girlfriends and I was the idiot loser still playing video games.

Maybe that's why everyone hates him.

I kind of hate Mike in the show. Like him getting the role in It amped up his douchiness somehow.

• 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Enjoyed this more than S2, but still feel like S1 was head and shoulders above either of the last two. The best parts of the show are the Goonies, random 80's kids stuff and I feel like there was a lot less of that this season and more suspense/dark thriller stuff. It was still enjoyable, but it's hard to compare to season 1.

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only on episode 3, I was too old for robot toys by 1985, (I had just bought a Commodore 64 with big ass floppy disc drive,) but I"m pretty sure Transformers weren't out yet, it would have been Micronauts at that time.

Was the main kids mom that hot in season 1 and 2? I do not remember that.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was not a massive fan of S1 and S2 watched as it a fairly short show and there was so much hype but must say this one was a lot better I thought. I liked the different arcs and each group having their own stories before all linking in to the final few espiodes. The thought the story overall with a lot more interesting as well not all just about the shadow realm danger