Street Fighter 6

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Lol I feel the "ImTooOldForThis" in my bones. I actually haven't bought it yet. I have a ps3 era madcatz stick that i modded with an octo gate and a bat-top and a brooks converter to use it with ps4. And a hori ps4 stick that i halfway got setup to my tastes. Neither of which helps/works for a ps5 which i ideally would buy it for. I just am not in the spending another ~300 for a ps5 stick mood at the moment. I plan on picking it up for sure tho. Might just buy a ps4 version for the short term.

That said controller players do well if that's your setup. Or keyboard/(cheat)hitboxes. If you haven't grown up with sticks- the learning curve may not be worth it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Oh yeah, I think he got Modern Luke to Master before too?

Modern Luke is pretty good though, compared to Ryu.
I'm a shameless Modern Lily player. Working my way into Platinum atm.
According to his bot he's done these to master- Master characters: Cammy, Chun Li, Jamie, Zangief (Modern), Manon, Lily, Dhalsim, Honda, Luke (Modern), Marissa

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not too many Lily fans that I've seen. Other than Mike Ross. KEK.

They better buff her! Mike has been threatening to quit once they add Rashid! lol

The problem with Rashid is that it's not Karin instead!

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol I feel the "ImTooOldForThis" in my bones. I actually haven't bought it yet. I have a ps3 era madcatz stick that i modded with an octo gate and a bat-top and a brooks converter to use it with ps4. And a hori ps4 stick that i halfway got setup to my tastes. Neither of which helps/works for a ps5 which i ideally would buy it for. I just am not in the spending another ~300 for a ps5 stick mood at the moment. I plan on picking it up for sure tho. Might just buy a ps4 version for the short term.

That said controller players do well if that's your setup. Or keyboard/(cheat)hitboxes. If you haven't grown up with sticks- the learning curve may not be worth it.
How do you like Octo gate and do you think there would be any benefit to charge characters? Friend got one and started loving it.

Im currently running Qanba obsidian

bolok

Trakanon Raider
How do you like Octo gate and do you think there would be any benefit to charge characters? Friend got one and started loving it.

Im currently running Qanba obsidian
So basically i've just been trying to reproduce my understanding of how the arcade sticks were setup during my formative years of SF. Other countries for sure had different setups. Given than MAS sticks are no longer avail- and it's kind of a pain for me to get out to galloping ghost in the suburbs.
As far as my gut and some surface level research has backed it up- the SF machines i grew up with were technically circle gates. I definitely recall some oddball snk cab conversions and what not that had square gates. Now that said- i briefly tried a circle gate on the madcatz stick. Completely Unplayable. However you can't really compare a jlf stick with a circle gate- to an IL stick. Vastly different throw ranges and resistance. Just not comparable. I'd still like to get a old school mas setup and a supergun or whatever- but that opportunity is shrinking.

Octogate- i enjoy them quit a bit. It feels more like the old school circle gate from the US stick setups. Less sharp angles on the full stick movements. IF you have verry good stick disciple to hit the switches just right you may not like it. It's kind of like bottoming out on mech keyboards vs just hitting the activation. Depending on the stick you have swapping from a square gate to an octo is a generally a trivial mod. For most JP sticks- you basically just swap one plastic disc for another. Just don't lose the stick spring and retainer.
For charge characters in particular- if you bottom out the stick travel as it were- you get a couple more "nooks" you can rest the stick in for mental feedback that you are in fact getting charge frames. Probably one of the better theoretical uses for an octo gate.

• 1Like

BrellWatcher

Trakanon Raider
So basically i've just been trying to reproduce my understanding of how the arcade sticks were setup during my formative years of SF. Other countries for sure had different setups. Given than MAS sticks are no longer avail- and it's kind of a pain for me to get out to galloping ghost in the suburbs.
As far as my gut and some surface level research has backed it up- the SF machines i grew up with were technically circle gates. I definitely recall some oddball snk cab conversions and what not that had square gates. Now that said- i briefly tried a circle gate on the madcatz stick. Completely Unplayable. However you can't really compare a jlf stick with a circle gate- to an IL stick. Vastly different throw ranges and resistance. Just not comparable. I'd still like to get a old school mas setup and a supergun or whatever- but that opportunity is shrinking.

Octogate- i enjoy them quit a bit. It feels more like the old school circle gate from the US stick setups. Less sharp angles on the full stick movements. IF you have verry good stick disciple to hit the switches just right you may not like it. It's kind of like bottoming out on mech keyboards vs just hitting the activation. Depending on the stick you have swapping from a square gate to an octo is a generally a trivial mod. For most JP sticks- you basically just swap one plastic disc for another. Just don't lose the stick spring and retainer.
For charge characters in particular- if you bottom out the stick travel as it were- you get a couple more "nooks" you can rest the stick in for mental feedback that you are in fact getting charge frames. Probably one of the better theoretical uses for an octo gate.
To add to this, I bought the new Hori PS5 stick which is square gate, I hated it. I swapped to a Sanwa stick and changed it to a circle gate and found I kept missing low block. I switched to octo gate and jumped from gold to platinum and pushing diamond now. I agree that octo feels more like the old sf2 cabinets for some reason. I also ended up swapping my buttons to Sanwa.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Im a scrub, but have been having fun with Cammy and Chun Li, even rocking a pad. Yuri on classic is obviously strong thanks to her basic moves (great overheads and lows) and RYU is pretty much where he always is, but its nice to see Chunner and Cammy being as well rounded as they are in this game. My old man hands especially appreciates the new inputs for the thunder kick and all the classic basic attacks Chun Li has in this game.

• 1Solidarity

BrellWatcher

Trakanon Raider
I feel you on the old man hands thing, trying to do Guiles drive rush combo feels impossible and I just hate spending the little bit of play time I have labbing it.

• 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I feel you on the old man hands thing, trying to do Guiles drive rush combo feels impossible and I just hate spending the little bit of play time I have labbing it.
I haven't actually PLAYED SF in a quite a while, I'm mostly a watcher at this point. Though I did play a little bit of SF4 and I remember this feeling with any character with superjump combos such as C Viper and Ibuki. How am I supposed to put a down-up motion in the middle of this super tight link combo? Is there some shortcut that I don't know about? This seems impossible, even with my pre-old man but post 20 year old hand speed (at the time).

I really liked fighting games back in the day, but I'm too competitive and would end up getting all the sticks and boxes and shit to go with it, and it just seems like a bit much for a game these days what with actual adult responsibilities and shit.

Or at least that's what I tell myself :I'm Fine:

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Combos aren't too bad in this. BB and MVC had much harder combos.

What I find difficult is DR canceling hit confirms. Seems like the best do it constantly when doing footsies but they might also just be buffering.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I haven't actually PLAYED SF in a quite a while, I'm mostly a watcher at this point. Though I did play a little bit of SF4 and I remember this feeling with any character with superjump combos such as C Viper and Ibuki. How am I supposed to put a down-up motion in the middle of this super tight link combo? Is there some shortcut that I don't know about? This seems impossible, even with my pre-old man but post 20 year old hand speed (at the time).

I really liked fighting games back in the day, but I'm too competitive and would end up getting all the sticks and boxes and shit to go with it, and it just seems like a bit much for a game these days what with actual adult responsibilities and shit.

Or at least that's what I tell myself :I'm Fine:
My Livingroom is set up to be a party room (karaoke rig ect) and we couch play a lot of games, including fighters that are more casual accessible like the MK series. This is the first game I have been able to bet my wife to like (outside of a little MK) enough to want to play it with friends, thanks mostly due to the modern mode and the campaign mode letting her try shit out. I am still not enamored of Modern Mode, but this Elden Ring approach of making the game accessible to the masses is undeniably successful. My group would not touch SF prior to this game, so my only options were to get curbstomped by super asians online or the CPU, in all my scrubbiness. This game, I can play classic (and avoid playing characters I know to be strong or I am too practiced with) and everyone else can run Modern and mash. And we all have fun. MK used to do that better, but I think shitty music aside Capcom may have closed the gap.

As for Drive Cancels and hit confirms, I think the timing is almost TOO easy in this game for some of it. And the charge moves (never a favorite of mine) are all over the place on sensitivity (Chunners helicopter kick seems easy to pull off while the fireball is super picky). At a scrub level, learning a couple simple combos for punish or jump in is enough to get you by. Ken's KFC combo is still in the game, same as ever. Chunner's tripple slap ground and air combos are the same as they were in SF2. Get a couple of those down so you don't drop them and you can do well enough. Trying to string together the long ass combos with multiple checks and cancels just ends with dropping them and getting punished to death, unless you have that asian gene that lets you memorize all the frame data. Amd even those guys usually stick to bread and butter combos because they are safer. Once you get core shit down like that (and the basic moves so you can overhead or footsie without even thinking about it) then move on to the fancy showboating shit. But always start with the fundamentals.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Livingroom is set up to be a party room (karaoke rig ect) and we couch play a lot of games, including fighters that are more casual accessible like the MK series. This is the first game I have been able to bet my wife to like (outside of a little MK) enough to want to play it with friends, thanks mostly due to the modern mode and the campaign mode letting her try shit out. I am still not enamored of Modern Mode, but this Elden Ring approach of making the game accessible to the masses is undeniably successful. My group would not touch SF prior to this game, so my only options were to get curbstomped by super asians online or the CPU, in all my scrubbiness. This game, I can play classic (and avoid playing characters I know to be strong or I am too practiced with) and everyone else can run Modern and mash. And we all have fun. MK used to do that better, but I think shitty music aside Capcom may have closed the gap.

As for Drive Cancels and hit confirms, I think the timing is almost TOO easy in this game for some of it. And the charge moves (never a favorite of mine) are all over the place on sensitivity (Chunners helicopter kick seems easy to pull off while the fireball is super picky). At a scrub level, learning a couple simple combos for punish or jump in is enough to get you by. Ken's KFC combo is still in the game, same as ever. Chunner's tripple slap ground and air combos are the same as they were in SF2. Get a couple of those down so you don't drop them and you can do well enough. Trying to string together the long ass combos with multiple checks and cancels just ends with dropping them and getting punished to death, unless you have that asian gene that lets you memorize all the frame data. Amd even those guys usually stick to bread and butter combos because they are safer. Once you get core shit down like that (and the basic moves so you can overhead or footsie without even thinking about it) then move on to the fancy showboating shit. But always start with the fundamentals.
Drive canceling a hit confirms is easy enough when your anticipating it. In talking more about playing footsies and you get a long range counterhit that you have to react to.

Might just be old

1688672080612.jpeg

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As an old fuck, its really forcing yourself to use light attacks for footsies and tap confirms. Scrub Blunder 101 is to never use anything other than fierce attacks, but the minute you start using lights it opens up a whole new world of gameplay. And this is what makes characters like Juri really strong. Several characters Light attacks barely have any kind of reach at all (this is one of Ryu's weak points, but his mediums are so fucking good it hardly matters) but a couple like Yuri have light kicks that reach as far as some of the fierces of others. Chun Li and Cammy are solid in this area too (as is Dhalsim, but he is slow moving so I have not worked with him much). The French Ballerina bitch is good in this area, but lacks good overheads and is super throw oriented which runs counter to my playstyle. Plus I am so fucking sick of her in online play with Modern that I cant make myself play her. Having said all that, my story mode fighter was a giganor bitch who mostly leveled with Chun and Cammy style, maxed Yuri and Ryo. Post campaign farm I run with Yuri style and a lot of Ryu and Kens move tossed in the mix.

I like the build a fighter shit, but the issue is its way to easy to just go Yuri Normals, better specials, and stack kick damage. Yuri normals with Shuryuken is a whole other level of bullshit, especially on a larger body size. The other issue with that mode is the shoto moves are the best cancel into moves of anything in there. Easy execution, big input windows, ect. are casual scrub paradise.

All that shit aside, I want me some Viper and Rufus (and Sakura) in the character addons.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Have you guys been playing ranked?
Where are you at atm?
Ranked is not my favorite mode tbh... I'd rather lose 20-0 to someone on battle hub, versus even losing 2-1 on ranked, I always leave feeling like I wished I could play more and learned more from it.

When I go to ranked I know that everyone only cares about winning, which is fine.
But I really, really want to do a lot of sets with people I know, over it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
i don't play much ranked, i've never enjoyed it in any of the games that have had it but i have a few characters in mid plat which is about as average as you can get in this game lol

BrellWatcher

Trakanon Raider
Im stalled out in Plat just due to play time, probably going to load up a second account on my PC to give me a chance to play some during my work down time.

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got Luke and Ryu to plat using modern control on the pad.
Never gotten this far, was most silver gold on sf5.
Going to try Marisa now on modern, she is rapeish.

BrellWatcher

Trakanon Raider
Hit Diamond with Guile on my PC then went on an epic losing streak. Zoning is more difficult in SF6, so many tools for people to get around it.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Otw to gold with Honda. Marisa match ups suck and been seeing a lot more since people realized they can farm lp with her retard damage.

Also practicing Guile since I'd figure I'd use another charge character, but was also looking at picking up either Dee Jay or Chun.

I realize my limitation right now is getting too static in my tactics. I don't like to play rank as you guys said because I like min best of 5s. And I'm finding I don't adapt well to good people (my friends are mainly Plat). But also Honda is kinda a static champion.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I've literally only played DJ to plat 1, haven't even tried every character yet. Starting a new character just seems so frustrating in comparison. But I only play for like 5 games every few days.

Can barely string a combo with DJ, never use drive rush.