Summer 2014 Anime Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't read the Gun portion of SAO, just everything up to where the anime ended. Really, they are just fantasy animes that have some scenes of RL thrown in and occasional commentary involving it. The mmorpg part is definitely there, but it isn't the end all be all of each series when it comes to setting. Honestly, I think an anime that accurately portrays an mmorpg would be boring as shit, just like watching someone else play one. There's too much involved in knowing what is going on to be excited from an outside perspective. Even EQ, as simple as it was, was hilarious to describe to someone who doesn't know what the fuck you are talking about. "So I sit here, with 40 other people, typing to each other, waiting for this thing to spawn. Spawning means it appears in the game. When it does, we try to kill it so that other people can't, and 4 of our 40 people get minor statistical upgrades with equipment. This specific thing happens once a week. Oh yeah, when it does appear, I press 3-4 buttons occasionally for 10-30 minutes. You can see I'm pressing buttons by these numbers that scroll by in a chat box, and the circular particles of light that appear on the screen occasionally."

Riveting. Now imaging making an anime about that kind of crap. It's audience would be about as big as most EQ Emu populations!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
isn't the main motivation for SAO's kirito gone in s2?

first arc aincrad, you loose you die, pretty motivational

second arc alfheim kirito's gotta find his bitch

then the rest is kirito being a bad ass in other mmo's cuz he's kirito.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
No idea! When I realized what the last episode of SAO was about, I stopped reading the manga/lightnovel thing that is half drawings and half screens of text. What is most likely is that someone uses the Seed deal to make another game, and then something goes wrong so they need the guy who effectively beat both previous incarnations of the technology to help them out. So yeah, basically your point, but with more contextual relevance. Badasses gotta badass, you know?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Kirito gets stuck in a cloned aincrad with nothing to do except read shitty lore. It was a failed crowdfund MMO the developers touted as a return to the glory days of "high stakes gaming" set in ainbrad.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
SAO part 2 is about someone murdering other players in real life after theyve been shot by a certain gun in Gun Gale Online. Havent read it but presumebly its a group of players from the PK guild Laughing Coffin from the Aincrad arc.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Accel World is supposed to be future SAO although they haven't expressed any interest in continuing AW.

Malakriss

Crunchyroll - Korean Station Lists Summer Anime Episode Counts
Terror in Resonance - 11
Persona 4: The Golden - 12
Glasslip - 13
Jinsei - 13
Aldnoah.Zero - 24
Sword Art Online II - 24
Argevollen - 24
Akame ga Kill! - 24
Momo Kyun Sword - 12
Free: Eternal Summer - 13
Sengoku Basara Judge End - 12
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance - 12
Hanayamata - 12
Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun - 12
Barakamon - 12
Bakumatsu Rock - 12
Black Butler Book of Circus - 10
Ao Haru Ride -12

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Netflix, July 4th, all 12 episodes. Aired in Japan in April but figured I'd put it here incase nobody saw it or didn't know about it like myself.

Fadaar

That guy
First episode of Tokyo Ghoul makes it seem interesting so far.
I liked it, but god damn am I getting tired of the black fog or shadows or whatever covering gore in shows. Hate having to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray releases to see shows properly.

Malakriss

Did they seriously put that "SFX: Stare" scene in Argevollen? Jesus. But the other pilot is so much hotter than corporate girl.

Malakriss

Crunchyroll's site is crying like a little bitch from mass abuse today. Sailor Moon, SAO, Aldnoah, Irregular and Captain Earth all released and they could not handle it.

Fadaar

That guy
Crunchyroll's site is crying like a little bitch from mass abuse today. Sailor Moon, SAO, Aldnoah, Irregular and Captain Earth all released and they could not handle it.
Watched SAO as soon as it came out but gave up on Aldnoah for a while because it kept stopping like 2 mins in. Ended up watching it about 30 minutes ago finally. Seems cool... lol @ New Orleans.

Malakriss

I think Aldnoah will be better than Argevollen based on first episodes. I had 3 different hang points on Aldnoah stream but switched resolution and restarted a minute before the hang point to get through them.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I still have my crunchyroll sub but rarely use it nowadays. Usually I don't watch most episodes the minute they are released anyway so I can spare another 3-4 minutes to just download it and watch it issue free.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Aldnoah seems like it may be a great show this season. The song at the end of the episode was pretty damn good too, sounded great on my surround sound.

EDIT: Just noticed Aldnoah's music composer composed some of the best anime music recently, Hiroyuki Sawano. The last song on this episode reminded me a lot of 'Kill la Kill' and Gundam Unicorn

Kill la Kill (people on these forums have made numerous comments about this music)
Attack on Titan
Blue Exorcist
Guilty Crown
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Sengoku Basara

XenoBlade Chronicles (video game for 2015)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
SAO, yesssssss, no clue how it's said LH is better but kirito is still the man. The ending theme and vid is tits.

AldNoah.Zero = pretty fuckin cool

So far it's.

AldNoAh.Zero
Tokyo Ghoul
SoA
Lol, Barakamon is strangely enjoyable.

Season is looking sharp so far, though I watched an episode of sailor moon,...going to leave my childhood behind and never do that again.