Survivor 26: Caramoan

Sumorex

Molten Core Raider
I find it hard to believe Shamar is a survivor fan, or if he is, the requirements to be called a "fan" are extremely low. His act that he didn't think Survivor would be this way is ludicrous if he's ever seen the show. Phillip is the best.
Hate that this might come off as defending Shamar, but I think the vast majority of Survivor contestants say it is harder experience than they thought it would be. It looks hard on TV, but it is actually even harder once you have to do it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm sure it's harder than it seems on TV, but Shamar was surprised that people were basically competing, scheming and possibly lying. Yeah, he's obviously never even watched the show.

Sumorex

Molten Core Raider
Oh yeah you're right. I think I was listening to him bitch and chalking it up to exhaustion and hunger.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
So, Shamar's goggle thing brought up something that's been bugging me for awhile. They get to wear contacts? So, do they have a little area with disinfectant and saline and stuff or are they allowed to bring enough daily ones for the duration of the show? That's kinda retarded, but I guess they don't want all their "pretty people" wearing glasses.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
No shit, but having access to contact supplies is a little different than handing out rubbers.
I thought some girls got razors on some reward once, but didn't realize it was a regular thing. Do they give out sunscreen, too?

Sumorex

Molten Core Raider
No shit, but having access to contact supplies is a little different than handing out rubbers.
I thought some girls got razors on some reward once, but didn't realize it was a regular thing. Do they give out sunscreen, too?
If they give out sunscreen, Cochran missed that! His burn the first few days was so brutal his feet swelled.

I think a minimum of certain supplies probably makes for better television. Contacts instead of glasses, tampons/pads instead of yeck... with someone med evacing out about once every other season, I'd think they'd supply them with some off screen care like wound care ointments/liquids and laxatives. Now that I think of it, didn't they give Boston Rob bottled water during his Fans and Favorites season when he passed out? The tribe had fire, which meant water, but it's still no hardcore survival.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every single person that goes on Survivor comes back from the show saying they didn't realize just how difficult it would be. Yet, people on the internet, all they can bitch about is how easy it is (or it has become). I am in the boat of saying that I don't think a lot of the hardships translate to TV.

Sure, there have been some years, where they seem to be getting much more food than other seasons, but I don't think it is something where you can appreciate both the mental and physical strain until you actually do it. Even the best player ever, Boston Rob, had a mental break down out there and almost removed himself from the game.

Thank god they give the women razors and a minimum amount of hygiene products. This is a TV show, for entertainment. Not some social experiment with the hippies from your college psych class. All that Survivor needs to provide is a level playing field and the most entertaining people they can find.

lindz

#DDs
Afaik the women don't have razors. I remember Parvati saying after Heroes vs Villains how she had gotten laser hair removal everywhere before going on the show because she absolutely hated how hairy the women got. Maybe it has changed since then, but even a couple seasons ago I noticed hairy armpits.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Glasses or contacts aren't really a luxury item like a razor, so I don't really see any issue with allowing them. I'm sure they allow prescription drugs as well, like blood pressure meds, etc.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
http://theashleysrealityroundup.com/...vor-questions/

Question: Do the contestants have access to anything else that we don?t see on camera?

Answer: Yes. According to Jeff Probst, the women receive tampons, and all of the contestants have access to condoms in case they want to get hot-and-heavy in the hut during filming. In addition, according to the article, they are given vital medications, contact lens solution, sunscreen, and insect repellent.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Even the best player ever, Boston Rob, had a mental break down out there and almost removed himself from the game.
He caught the Samoan Flu, which is apparently nasty as hell.

I agree with what you're saying though. Being exposed to the elements 24/7 for up to 39 days is rough. Then throw in a severe lack of sleep, calories and the fact that there is a game for a million dollars going on at the same time. It takes as much of a mental adjustment as a physical adjustment, and that's why returning players have such a huge advantage in the game. They're more prepared mentally by a long shot, and they usually come into their 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) seasons much heavier than their first. See Penner last season or Boston Rob in s20 or 22.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that they have relaxed the food shortages since they had 3 or 4 seasons where people quit and fucked up the show. That's not to say that it's not stressful and physically challenging, but it used to be worse.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
The lack of food had nothing to do with the mass exiles. Na'Onka and Purple Kelly had as many hot dogs and theater food as they could eat the night before they quit. Casting failures trumps shitty conditions. Saying "it used to be worse" is subjective. On season 1 they had fucking tents, rice and beans, a shitload of comfort items (guitars and shit), and had fishing equipment from day 1. Season 2 was bad due to the lack of anything to forage at all, and Jeff ended up having to go to camp to give them bags of rice. From there until all-stars, the tribes all had plenty of rice to eat on top of whatever they could fish/forage.

My point is that you're misremembering shit. So far in this season they haven't gotten anything above what any other season has gotten, and in some cases less.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think that they have relaxed the food shortages since they had 3 or 4 seasons where people quit and fucked up the show. That's not to say that it's not stressful and physically challenging, but it used to be worse.
I remember seeing an interview with Mark Burnett a while ago (maybe 5-6 years ago?) and he basically said they had to provide more food simply for the sake of drama. In some of the earlier seasons people would literally lie around and sleep/do nothing for 20+ hours a day, and it became too difficult to piece together a compelling show.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My point is that you're misremembering shit. So far in this season they haven't gotten anything above what any other season has gotten, and in some cases less.
I'm not talking about this season, we've only seen three episodes, but in recent seasons hunger has not been an issue. In Samoa it was partly due to the fact that there is fruit everywhere and you can get as much of it as you want with very little effort, but there have also been a lot of food rewards in recent season (meaning the last 8-10). Penner even said late in the last season that they had been eating well and he didn't really care about winning a food reward.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I imagine Penner is just the type of person who as long as he gets his calories can be satisified. But a lot of the contestants seem like the type who would gorge on donuts if they could. So they bitch about rice and beans because it's not what they want. Then when they get a food reward go apeshit. Not because they're necessarily starving, but because it's a comfort food.

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shrekamar passed up a golden opportunity to go down in history as an extreme survivor badass. When Jeff asked him if he wanted to try and continue on or go home, he should have looked up and said, "Well, shiver me timbers and pieces o' eight! Get me an eye patch, arrrrhh matey!" That tribe is royally fucked.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The last two weeks, they've shown previews of Hantz Jr that I don't think were actually on the show. The one for next week though, holy shit...motherfucker is crazy.

Also, Shamar is such a little bitch. Fuck that dude.