SWTOR

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I played through as Jedi Sage a month or so ago. I didn't sub until I hit 50, and the free-restrictions weren't bad at all, so if you're bored give it a shot.

The story was pretty decent, but at least in my story arc, I was rolling my eyes by the literally 10th time some random jedi master was taken over by some evil force. Like really? I was having flashbacks to FarCry5 and getting captured 15 times :p

Also, it was 0 challenge, I was under no threat of dying, at least while working on the main storyline quests. Companions can feel a bit OP, but I guess at the end of the day most of us find it fun to be godlike :p Just know it's easier than most MMOs
IT was def not like this when the game launched. Travel times sucked plus story shit was harder and also you had to do the planet stories as well as the most of the side shit as well to advance. There was no way to hit cap with just doing the main story like it is now. At some point, who knows when, they made a whole bunch of changes, some QOL and some to leveling and such to make it easier. Which is fine I guess if you just want to play through the story shit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Played a trooper at launch and got somewhere in the top five world-wide for the first two raids. The story was good and I legit thought I was going to fail in more than one spot in a lot of it.
Played a Sith inquisitor about 6 months to a year ago and the difficulty of the game has gone down dramatically. Never raided with it, nor did it have gear anywhere close to the same tier of gear the trooper had and I could just rofl-stomp my way through everything.
The stories are still good, don’t get me wrong. But all but the lowest common denominator are going to breeze through the base story.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I think once you get to the newer stuff there are difficulty settings even for solo content.

Malakriss

Silvers used to be heavy hitters while gold enemies were beefier. Along the way silvers lost their punch and companions got stronger, so the threat diminished.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
All companions can be healers now as well, remember early on some classes were fucked for a significant portion of their main story before they finally got their healer companion.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

All companions can be healers now as well, remember early on some classes were fucked for a significant portion of their main story before they finally got their healer companion.
Ahh shit, I had forgotten about that. Wasnt necessarily "fucked" but shit felt almost impossible at times until I found a cheese method.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Outside of WoW 2004-2010ish, I'd say this game was the most fun I've had in video games. Mostly because I was a star wars nerd and missed Galaxies due to some IRL situations and knowing my own addicitve personality.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I missed out on Galaxies as well, one of my close friends played the ever loving hell out of it for the year I was out of touch with everyone, and made me wish I had gotten in on it. SWTOR was a swing and a miss when it first came out, wasn't until later that I got back into it and played quite a bit. Especially in it's trimmed down state these days, would be a better game for them to add controller support for so you could kick back on the couch and enjoy. Even the worst class stories were still pretty good if you were just looking for a Star Wars fix. Just enough world building and lore to whet you appetite, but unfortunately it never really satisfies fully.

Star Wars as a video game franchise has really missed it's mark over the years. It's criminal how much universe building they could have been doing in a massive MMORPG setting. A lot of minutia that could be used to flesh out and breath a lot of life into the IP that just never gets touched. Imagine a star fighter game that delved into upgrades and ship customization to the level that some driving games or the depth older MechWarrior games do. Literal miles of open canvas just waiting to be painted, and it is always stuck in the same faction and story cycles with very few exceptions.

I'd like to see a horror survival game set in the Star Wars universe, or take something like No Man's Sky and give it a good Star Wars IP make over and make a sandbox that just focuses on letting people do an off rails deep dive into a handful of different systems. Really explore all the nooks and crannies of everything from the mundane, all the way to full blown cosmic scale force lore mumbo jumbo. Honestly, where are my coming of age Jedi stories, Jedi mother fucking Hogwarts for fucks sake. The IP is literally pearls cast before corporate swine, and it pisses me off. How do these companies fail so completely and utterly at realizing the untapped gold mines they have at their finger tips?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I missed out on Galaxies as well, one of my close friends played the ever loving hell out of it for the year I was out of touch with everyone, and made me wish I had gotten in on it. SWTOR was a swing and a miss when it first came out, wasn't until later that I got back into it and played quite a bit. Especially in it's trimmed down state these days, would be a better game for them to add controller support for so you could kick back on the couch and enjoy. Even the worst class stories were still pretty good if you were just looking for a Star Wars fix. Just enough world building and lore to whet you appetite, but unfortunately it never really satisfies fully.

Star Wars as a video game franchise has really missed it's mark over the years. It's criminal how much universe building they could have been doing in a massive MMORPG setting. A lot of minutia that could be used to flesh out and breath a lot of life into the IP that just never gets touched. Imagine a star fighter game that delved into upgrades and ship customization to the level that some driving games or the depth older MechWarrior games do. Literal miles of open canvas just waiting to be painted, and it is always stuck in the same faction and story cycles with very few exceptions.

I'd like to see a horror survival game set in the Star Wars universe, or take something like No Man's Sky and give it a good Star Wars IP make over and make a sandbox that just focuses on letting people do an off rails deep dive into a handful of different systems. Really explore all the nooks and crannies of everything from the mundane, all the way to full blown cosmic scale force lore mumbo jumbo. Honestly, where are my coming of age Jedi stories, Jedi mother fucking Hogwarts for fucks sake. The IP is literally pearls cast before corporate swine, and it pisses me off. How do these companies fail so completely and utterly at realizing the untapped gold mines they have at their finger tips?
troll dancing GIF
troll GIF
mickey mouse troll GIF

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

I liked Battlefront II to get my fix of SW type shit in spurts. It had a nice space battle segment and the large" land" battles were really fun. Well, that is until my Origin account got hacked and I could never get it back. Had all kinds of powerups unlocked with like 300+ hrs played.

Caeden

So as I'm still enjoying FF14, but I may give this another try on some other class stories....somehow I feel better about giving this money than I possibly could Blizz for an eventual WOTLK classic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
SWTOR was fucked at launch because they did fuck all to handle the guilds hacking Hutt Ball to farm all the top PVP gear in a week and the end game PVP raid battfield was pointless.

That said PVP servers were fun as hell with the mechanics. Stealth to pull a nub away from guards while your friends pull you back from guard agro was always a good giggle also open word pvp force pushing someone off a cliff to there death was always satisfying.

Biggest open world pvp sploit was folks naming their characters the same as their companions which fubared tab targeting and you blew all your burst dps on something that didn't matter. We bitched by petition and a GM said sorry, thats legal.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The lack of end game at launch, and a group of WoW nerds for friends power leveling to said non existent end game led to a fast drop off. We also got pulled into something else pretty quick, though I don't remember what. I enjoyed the hell out of my Commando, so came back solo maybe a year or so later and played through Jedi Consular. I played a lot with 1 or 2 friends off and on, running dailies on a Jedi Shadow was semi dirty with stealth, hated when my buddy that played Jedi Knight was on, had to actually kill through everything. Still my favorite class. Game use to feel like it held up okay, but the game is seriously dated anymore, needs a major overhaul that I don't ever see happening.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The stories do for the most part. Would just love to see some modern accoutrements and probably a lot of stuff the engine just won't be up to doing. The graphics of the game are stylized just enough that some portions of the game are fine, but a lot of environments suffer from it, for me at least. I will say I oddly still really enjoy both the on rails class star fighter missions and the pvp free roam Star Fighter matches.

Caeden

I’d probably give the another $50 if they could package the game as a single player game with solo-able instances and raids.

Just dump a shit-ton of random NPCs in places.

j00t

there are a good chunk of "dungeons" and even a couple raids i think that have "story" difficulty, which means you run through the whole thing solo with some npc's. as far as i know the gear is the same? but again, it's not all the dungeons though, but they do have a group finder so you can just queue up for the ones you want. the big downside is that unless you are sub'ed, there's a weekly limit on how many dungeons you can do.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Ehhh...sweet visuals and awesome combat, as usual, but I don't give a fuck about S Jedi W and her pink fucking lightsaber.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user