SWTOR

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would not necessarily call this "burning your money" when you sub for a month to this for $15 and get hours and hours of story and content.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The sub reward for logging in 4 days this week is an extra galactic seasons token.

If you're already burning your money might as well maximize.
Can only can login 3 days this week starting now since i just saw this today. Shame

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
man they went overboard on the ability pruning, not necessarily the total number of skills you have, that's fine, hell it was fine before, maybe only needed to trim down like 2-3 skills. The problem is when you get them, it's almost as bad as FF14.

The combat style changes are amazing for customization but the ability prune means you start with like 3-4 skills and barely get anything as you level up, don't really feel like you have your basic kit til around lvl 20 or later now when before you had your basic skills by level 10.

The UI changes are meh, I understand some of the things they changed, but some of them are just mind boggling.

• 1Like

Malakriss

50% off collection unlocks this week along with 2x XP

Also if you're not already at Hero rank for the seasonal reputation you are not going to max it. 9 weeks left x 5000 cap = 45000 (15000 + 30000) for last two ranks

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
50% off collection unlocks this week along with 2x XP

Also if you're not already at Hero rank for the seasonal reputation you are not going to max it. 9 weeks left x 5000 cap = 45000 (15000 + 30000) for last two ranks
Have they fixed the UI & combat complaints that were had when this expansion first came out? Getting the itch to hop back into this in a few weeks.

Malakriss

Have they fixed the UI & combat complaints that were had when this expansion first came out? Getting the itch to hop back into this in a few weeks.
Still plenty of complaints. Also, this is another week with an extra season token if you log in 4 days as a sub.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I did get get an itch to play this and went back. I had a few characters sitting around waiting that I had made way back when, I mean close to launch. 2895 day old mail and everything, my level 4 Chiss Imperial agent and my level 6 Human Jedi Knight. I never really had a plan for the Chiss IA other than the rumor was at the time it was the best story of the eight at launch, and it was kind of a James Bond experience, so I started one right at the end of my very first playthrough. My main was like a 40-something Trooper and I burned out right as I started to get to whatever the end game was at launch in early 2012 or whenever. Played them both to 20 over the last day or so.

Still, lots of issues they never fixed: Fight your way in/Fight your way out of missions, With a 40ms latency, some of the weirdest shit happens that really looks like laaaaag or rubber banding, I don't know; combat can be ok/good/fun but seldom great. The Republic planets seem so much more poorly designed than the Imp ones, at least the 4 that I have seen in my play through again. I guess they were expecting far bigger crowds on the Republic planets and weren't doing ANYTHING dynamic. Huge waits for respawns on some quests, and quick pops for others, seemingly separate from server pop, or at least "zone" pop.

It's so Star Wars, though, and really does such a better job than Lucasfilm of capturing the feel of what Star Wars was trying to do. Even the stupid shit they do in this game plot and narrative wise, and there is a TON of stupid story line, is better than anything in the Sequel Trilogy. People were still trying to group with me; I legit asked one guy if he realized he was playing SWTOR, the best single player MMO ever. He didn't answer. With a companion JK with healer and taunt I was soloing equal level elites and doing the Heroic +2 missions with only a little bit of worry.

Will play it out and see how long I enjoy it, subbed for 60 days, with the collectors ed from 2011 still paying Dividends.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
Anyone have any tips or a link on how to install on WIN 10? The launcher literally stalls out and becomes unreponsive.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Still, lots of issues they never fixed: Fight your way in/Fight your way out of missions, With a 40ms latency, some of the weirdest shit happens that really looks like laaaaag or rubber banding, I don't know; combat can be ok/good/fun but seldom great. The Republic planets seem so much more poorly designed than the Imp ones, at least the 4 that I have seen in my play through again. I guess they were expecting far bigger crowds on the Republic planets and weren't doing ANYTHING dynamic. Huge waits for respawns on some quests, and quick pops for others, seemingly separate from server pop, or at least "zone" pop.
If it wasn't for that bullshit latency I would still be playing it.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
If it wasn't for that bullshit latency I would still be playing it.
Still playing, lots of work keeping my play time down but almost done with the JK Origin Story, on Corellia at level 55. I have figured out a bunch of workarounds for my issues above, some were me issues, some are game things. Still fun, though. Combat is mostly just an obstacle/to complete quest objectives as I am overleveled and equipped to the gills.

Story is pretty good. Ready to start back on the Imp Agent and finish up the Republic Trooper. EDIT: Knowing there is a ton more story to go with all the expansions in the Jedi Knight story past the Origin story.

Last edited:

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't find the JK story to be particularly compelling, middle of the road at best, but some people really love it. It's definitely better than some of the other storylines (Sith Sorcerer/Jedi Sage for example) but there's definitely better class storylines to enjoy. Most people rate trooper pretty low but I enjoyed it, to each their own I guess. Imperial Agent story line is probably rated the best or 2nd best (to sith warrior) but what's unique about it is that you actually make choices that impact the game. most storyline choices result in (light side choice) X happens (dark side choice) X happens + some unimportant npc dies but X still happens and so the story just goes forward pretty linearly. Agent storyline truly branches and gets very convoluted in an interesting/james bond/betrayal upon betrayal sorta way. It's kinda like they designed that class story first, very single player RPG style, realized it was way too much fucking work for an MMO and simplified the other class quests they designed afterwards.

Right now is probably the best time to play new classes because of the playstyle settings. I never really liked how they implemented rogues in this game (agent, smuggler) and ended up opting for sniper/gunslinger specialty classes because I hated the cover mechanics only slightly less than I hated their stealth mechanics. But now the game is way easier and any companion can be a healer so you can easily breeze through no matter how lame the play style is....Or you can just play the agent class but use bounty hunter power tech skills (probably my favorite non-force playstyle animation/skills/weapons) and actually enjoy combat.

Once you complete the 1-50 class story there's only 1 more follow up quest in Rishi that kind of ties a bow on/wraps up loose ends/concludes the original class story line, so it doesn't take too much time to experience all the class stories.

So after the original content there's basically 2 stories, an Imp side and republic side storyline to follow, so you really only need to level 1 republic character and 1 imperial to see Hutt Cartel or Shadows of Revan. Later eventually this drops down to a single story line (outlander) in the Knights of the Fallen Empire/Knights of the Eternal Throne storylines. In the latest expansion it branches back out to an imp and republic storyline again.

Daidraco

Didn't find the JK story to be particularly compelling, middle of the road at best, but some people really love it. It's definitely better than some of the other storylines (Sith Sorcerer/Jedi Sage for example) but there's definitely better class storylines to enjoy. Most people rate trooper pretty low but I enjoyed it, to each their own I guess. Imperial Agent story line is probably rated the best or 2nd best (to sith warrior) but what's unique about it is that you actually make choices that impact the game. most storyline choices result in (light side choice) X happens (dark side choice) X happens + some unimportant npc dies but X still happens and so the story just goes forward pretty linearly. Agent storyline truly branches and gets very convoluted in an interesting/james bond/betrayal upon betrayal sorta way. It's kinda like they designed that class story first, very single player RPG style, realized it was way too much fucking work for an MMO and simplified the other class quests they designed afterwards.

Right now is probably the best time to play new classes because of the playstyle settings. I never really liked how they implemented rogues in this game (agent, smuggler) and ended up opting for sniper/gunslinger specialty classes because I hated the cover mechanics only slightly less than I hated their stealth mechanics. But now the game is way easier and any companion can be a healer so you can easily breeze through no matter how lame the play style is....Or you can just play the agent class but use bounty hunter power tech skills (probably my favorite non-force playstyle animation/skills/weapons) and actually enjoy combat.

Once you complete the 1-50 class story there's only 1 more follow up quest in Rishi that kind of ties a bow on/wraps up loose ends/concludes the original class story line, so it doesn't take too much time to experience all the class stories.

So after the original content there's basically 2 stories, an Imp side and republic side storyline to follow, so you really only need to level 1 republic character and 1 imperial to see Hutt Cartel or Shadows of Revan. Later eventually this drops down to a single story line (outlander) in the Knights of the Fallen Empire/Knights of the Eternal Throne storylines. In the latest expansion it branches back out to an imp and republic storyline again.
Just comes down to what classes people play, I think. Not everyone is going to level up a second class, much less multiple, to see the stories. I thought Trooper storyline was fine, but I never made it past 20 or 30 on any other class. My fondest memories is just tanking as a Vanguard in Eternity Vault and being in the top 10 for world first clears. I think we would have got world first had the Pylons not been buggy as fuck for us. But we had a lot of fun and I wish it would have lasted longer.

I may come back at some point and force myself to stick with it till end game once again. But every other time, there is just so much shit on top of shit in the game now that I get tired of alt tabbing to google what this is and that was and learning that I just wasted the last hour of my life on something that isnt even relevant anymore etc.

Malakriss

Apparently when they were hiring developers for SWTOR they couldn't tell them it would be a Star Wars project and claimed it was a Willow MMO. A thread about the upcoming Disney+ series had one of the devs chime in with some studio information. The thread has been removed but is still accessible if you follow the link

My fun random Willow story: when we were making the video game “Star Wars: The Old Republic,” we needed to hire tons of people but we weren’t supposed to tell people we were making a Star Wars game. It was public knowledge that our studio was partnered with Lucas Arts, so most applicants suspected the truth. But during the interviews, we would tell all the writing and design candidates that we were making a Willow based MMORPG, and then ask them to please sketch out some ideas in this space.
The problem was that a lot of the creatives got way too excited about this, and would dive into pitching us really great fucking ideas. Half the staff ended up really wanting to make a Willow MMORPG and it became a moral killer when we’d have to break the news that it was just Star Wars after all. So we stopped that regrettable jackassery. But somewhere in the back of BioWare there may still be ton of quest and level designs for a really ace Willow video game.

We had some people on the server team stage a very nerdy heist. They built a secret back-door into the system that allowed then to transfer out an unlimited amount of the in-game currency, which they could then sell on the black market. We eventually discovered the exploit, years after the programmer-thieves had left the studio. However, it wasn't clear what negative effect this ever had on the game (if any,) so the leadership team decided to just quietly patch away the exploit and never speak of it again.

We ended up gaining more monthly subscribers after we started giving the game away for free. This paradox baffled even the highest levels of the studio.The game launched with 2million subscribers, and then steadily lost a 100,000 subscribers every month for 13 months. We were all sure the studio was headed for collapse (the Christmas party the year after launch was the saddest god damn thing...) But when we switched to free-to-play, a miracle happened. You see, going free to play flooded the game with freeloading parasites who never bought any microtransactions anyway. But we gave monthly subscribers really great weapons, which allowed them to go around slaughtering all the poors. The subscribers loved this! It was all completely unexpected. By accidentally inventing a capitalist dystopia, we managed to keep the game going strong for over ten more years!

Speaking of accidents, we had some designers accidentally invent a programming language in Excel column formulas. They started balancing all the loot and damage tables and stuff in one big Excel Spreadsheet. Then they started computing values from other values throughout the spreadsheet. As the years went on and the game became more complicated, they started making more and more sophisticated methods. Eventually, cells were sending around strings containing properties which would be extracted and reroute the object around to other methods, completely reproducing object-oriented programming. If you started at the top of the excel document and started scrolling down, you'd basically scroll through a miniature history of programming itself. Our designers accomplished this insane feat of programming, out of the mistaken belief that actually learning to program would be too hard for them. We engineers would never have even known about all this, except that they eventually ran out of rows in excel (which was not a thing anyone thought was possible.)

We also had a big gay problem at the studio for a while. Bioware games, like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, are typically super gay. The official reason for that is that we're just a real progressive bunch. But the more true reason is that it's way easier to make RPG romantic content if lots of characters are bisexual or gay, since we don't know what gender the player will play, and lots of straight gamer guys prefer playing a hot sexy lesbian. But Star Wars was very popular among fundamentalist christians and so Lucas Art wanted our game to be heterosexual-all-the-way. But our contract with them only stipulated that they had control over content for the duration of development. They hadn't realized the implications of it being a subscription-based MMO. So as soon as the game launch, we immediately started putting in gay content.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Apparently when they were hiring developers for SWTOR they couldn't tell them it would be a Star Wars project and claimed it was a Willow MMO. A thread about the upcoming Disney+ series had one of the devs chime in with some studio information. The thread has been removed but is still accessible if you follow the link

That's a bunch of bullshit larp. That part about Excel makes no god damn sense, and neither does the 'transferring out currency' thing. MMO currency is just a value in a database, it's not a unique serialized asset or a blockchain.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
SWTOR has grossed over a billion dollars in revenue, after going f2p like a year after release. Bioware wouldn't mask that shit; it's a legit "hey this makes money" product.

Malakriss

That's a bunch of bullshit larp. That part about Excel makes no god damn sense, and neither does the 'transferring out currency' thing. MMO currency is just a value in a database, it's not a unique serialized asset or a blockchain.
One of the original public dupes was abusing non-credit currency purchases, splitting the stack, then buybacking the items 1 by 1 getting full refund price over and over again. Then they did this with companion gifts and vendored entire stacks to generate credits. So maybe they made tradeable PVP commendations, or event currency, cartel certs, raid gear currencies, etc.