Tablets

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
May want to check your Amazon. You can get Kindles and Kindle Fires pretty dirt cheap if your account is flagged. Picked up a Paperwhite for $44 and the Fires are like $75 off.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On Nexus side of the equation apparently HTC is going to be doing the Nexus 8.

So expect the build quality in the N8 to be top notch.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
May want to check your Amazon. You can get Kindles and Kindle Fires pretty dirt cheap if your account is flagged. Picked up a Paperwhite for $44 and the Fires are like $75 off.
Flagged for what? I'd kill for a $44 Paperwhite.

Gusgus_sl

shitlord
Not sure how it is on Amazon, but many shopping sites if you put an item in your cart but never check out you will eventually get some deal offer sent your way on it to encourage you to buy it.
I use this tactic all the time. Amazon has always sent me a deal after a few days.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Finally ordered a Venue 8 Pro, 64gb refurb from Dell for like $191 + tax. Think i might keep my w700, still can't find the missing piece for the stand anyways.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
My venue order was delayed a week, kinda makes me want to cancel and wait until after the MS Surface event if that's going to release another generation of tablets. If it was me the $200 I probably would have already.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i "think" i read somewhere the surface event with the "surface mini" (all speculation) would be RT and not full windows, plus i'm sure it's gonna be like 3x the price of a venue pro 8.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LG G Pad 8.3 with Verizon 4g for free at Verizon this weekend. Anyone tried it out?

Siliconemelons

Work had budgeted for 4 iPads - one slated for me, I told my boss to save the money or get me a surface- so I did a quote for a Surface 2 and sent it in, it was approved and ordered last Thursday so I expect it anytime.

Had to be a "tablet" aka windows RT - or it would have been flagged as a full computer - as our last refresh surface pro's and win 8 tablet laptops where options and purchasing would have had a fit if someone had TWO computers!

So from what I have read it seems like it will be a lot more useful than an iPad with full office and crap etc- just need to get them to buy me a type cover :) our information systems department refreshed their desktops with Surface Pro 2 256bg's with docks and the whole nine yards.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watching the Surface Pro 3 announcement now. Doesn't look like they are pushing out a mini, which is good. Unfortunately it looks like they are making the new ones even bigger. My Surface Pro seems like just the right size. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like maybe they are just changing the aspect ratio on this one and the actual width of the Pro 3 will match the width of my Pro 1. If that is the case I will consider an upgrade. I wish it had more of a battery increase on it, that is the one thing that sucks on my Pro.

I wonder how much of the aspect ratio change is just to force people to buy new keyboard covers. I'd like to be able to upgrade and continue to use my current cover but it won't fit due to the aspect ratio change.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Surprised there was no Mini announcement. $799 seems like a nice starting point, so $999 for the i7 I guess?

Was hoping for a nice Surface mini, but I guess that would have detracted from all of the laptop replacement stuff they went on and on about.

Siliconemelons

Didn't the 256/512 pro 2's just come out a few months ago?

Still eagerly awaiting my surface 2 - dropping random hints that I /need/ a 150$ "case" aka keyboard for it- to spend the little bit left in our department budget :p

Column_sl

shitlord
Well for artists that new Surface Pro sucks ass.

They dumped the wacom pens for Ntrigs which are 256 levels of pressure.
It's amazing they would demo it with Photoshop, and go backwards on the stylus technology. No artist will ever use that for anything professional.

I love the Pro 2, and I would have definitely upgraded it if they would have kept wacom involved.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watching the Surface Pro 3 announcement now. Doesn't look like they are pushing out a mini, which is good. Unfortunately it looks like they are making the new ones even bigger. My Surface Pro seems like just the right size. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like maybe they are just changing the aspect ratio on this one and the actual width of the Pro 3 will match the width of my Pro 1. If that is the case I will consider an upgrade. I wish it had more of a battery increase on it, that is the one thing that sucks on my Pro.

I wonder how much of the aspect ratio change is just to force people to buy new keyboard covers. I'd like to be able to upgrade and continue to use my current cover but it won't fit due to the aspect ratio change.
It is wider, the new form factor won't work for me but maybe I can get a good deal on a used or refurbed Pro 2 and trade in or sell my Pro 1.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
We outfitted our entire mobile workforce with Surface 2 Pros, docking stations, Arc Mouse, and a USB 3.0 VGA adapter for a 2nd monitor and haven't looked back. They replaced a combo of a Lenovo X230 and Ipad for each user, and with the exception of one (out of fifteen), all of them prefer the Surface over the laptop/Ipad combo. When I took one on vacation with me, it tackled everything from standard productivity apps all the way to Might and Magic without a hiccup. I seriously feel that the Surface is a game changing device and am surprised it hasn't sold better. MS needs to improve their marketing for these, their commercials are gay as fuck.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I was really hoping for an 8 inch surface pro. I know it's not as practical for many users (which is probably why it got canned), but I was dreaming of an ultra portable full laptop replacement the size of a pad of paper. If would completely replace my lab notebook. I understand that the market probably just isn't there, but I was clinging to some hope! Now I want to wait for the crazy price drops on the surface pro 2. The original hit 399 a few times and battery life was the only thing holding me back. A pro 2 for under 500 is a no brainer in my opinion.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not sure where the complaints about battery life are coming from. With a fully charged battery I was able to watch seven hours straight of video before it died, and on a second test 3 hours of Might and Magic before it shut down. Pretty much every laptop I've ever tried goes about four hours no matter what the manufacturer claims. I used a 14 hour plane ride to torture test it every way I could think of before pulling the trigger for our mobile users.

Siliconemelons

HP and Dell make some killer detachable keyboard surfaceesque laptops, especially the envy line that are insanely nice... I think it's the Envy x2 or split or something.

Anything running win 8 pro is a laptop class, just because it's keyboardless/optional it's a full fledged computer the RT is imo a tablet... but the lines of laptop and tablet are already blurring so...