Tenet (2020)

iannis

Musty Nester
The only issue with Interstellar is the lol-worthy 'love is the answer to the universe' ending. If they could have come up with literally any other vaguely science-y ending to resolve the plot it would be an excellent movie instead of just good with a terrible ending.
M my issue was Matt damon. His part of the movie was an encapsulated short. It was well done and everything, but it was a very long diversion.

The ending... I understand and appreciate what he was trying for. But he was just trying for it, he didn't accomplish it.

Ending of 2001 is about the same. That idea doesn't translate well to a visual medium. But it fits perfectly in a book.

THe prestige though is an amazing movie. Inception was another one where I appreciate and understand what he was going for, and he gets a lot of credit for the attempt. But ultimately I feel like it was an attempt, even though the movie isn't bad by any means.

aLl it really means is that his failures are better than most other people's successes. He does have a little bit of reach exceeding his grasp on his movies. But whatever, he's still very good.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
aLl it really means is that his failures are better than most other people's successes. He does have a little bit of reach exceeding his grasp on his movies. But whatever, he's still very good.

I think Nolan had total control / final cut on all his early movies (Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, etc) and kind of lost that with The Dark Knight Returns or Interstellar. It's understandable, self-producing a $40m budget movie gives you a lot of decisionship, while directing a venture-produced $100m blockbuster forces you to please everyone. Which might be worrying since TENET is already rumored at +$200m budget. Lots of people breathing down your neck comes with that kind of budget.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
M my issue was Matt damon. His part of the movie was an encapsulated short. It was well done and everything, but it was a very long diversion.

Yeah I can kinda see that. It was foreshadowed earlier in the movie when they were talking about people who will choose to doom their species in order to save themselves.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
What a world, when a Nolan movie is #2 that I'm most excited about.

Looks fantastic, and original. Dude is a monster.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
God Damn this movie looks good! (not sarcastic)

Can't wait for the bad guy to be an evil white dude! (sarcastic)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I can't wrap my mind around all of the possibilities this opens up; some are obvious, others are not.
shit looks like a mindfuck.

I'm in.
That's it. We'll know it when it gets here. We'll see if he can pull this off. All signs point to yes, however.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will be heavily breathing into my mask at the theatre for this entire movie.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I'm definitely going to watch it, but I feel like I'm not going to be satisfied with whatever explanation is given for how time would flow backwards for certain areas/things and not others.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Not a fan of Nolan but this premise looks interesting

giphy.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Looks fucking awesome!

-

Can we have a discussion about Interstellar and the "love" that some people complain about? What did that actually mean? I haven't watched it in 4-5 months so I may be missing something, but I took it as he knew that when he was in the extra dimensional world (the bulk), he could save his family/planet by doing morse code on the watch, and that she would have the watch because his daughter knew he loved her? I always thought the anne hathaway love speech was just to set that up? I know her boyfriend's planet ended up being the one that could remotely sustain life, and maybe that went along with it too?

could you imagine not seeing your daughter her whole life, then seeing her crying saying "did my daddy leave me here to die?" FUCK

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Looks fucking awesome!

-

Can we have a discussion about Interstellar and the "love" that some people complain about? What did that actually mean? I haven't watched it in 4-5 months so I may be missing something, but I took it as he knew that when he was in the extra dimensional world (the bulk), he could save his family/planet by doing morse code on the watch, and that she would have the watch because his daughter knew he loved her? I always thought the anne hathaway love speech was just to set that up? I know her boyfriend's planet ended up being the one that could remotely sustain life, and maybe that went along with it too?

could you imagine not seeing your daughter her whole life, then seeing her crying saying "did my daddy leave me here to die?" FUCK

I interpreted the watch the same way when I first saw the movie. Also that love is what made future humans bother to construct the tesseract. And that Brand got lucky guessing the correct planet and Cooper made the right decision overruling her. My interpretation was that "love" as referred to by Cooper is a force only in the sense that it propels and motivates people to thought and action they would not take otherwise, not in the sense of Brand's description as a physical, quantifiable force.

Going back and reviewing the scene, it seems more likely that the intention was the other way around. Cooper specifically states that "Love" was how he found the bedroom moment in the first place and says Brand was right and it is a quantifiable force (first 30 seconds):

Even though I think my first impression was wrong, I can still interpret the movie's love as being "a force that makes people chemically think/feel/act", as we understand it today, and not "a force that physically impacts the universe" and still fit everything pretty much into place. The tesseract is built to allow navigation via brain chemicals, those brain chemicals are quantifiable, Brand took a lucky guess. Bam! Hard sci-fi.

Even if not, the movie is just so good that I'm happy to let another force into the universe to make it work--it really just means that what present-day humans call "love" is only a surface understanding, and possibly even a misinterpretation, of this previously unknown force.

Definitely one of my favorites, and probably one of the movies I'm happiest I got to see in theaters.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It just came off as cheesy the whole "don't do the obvious logical thinking/science stuff to save the human race, LOVE will get us there". Honestly the whole Brand being in love with the other guy and his planet being the right one shouldn't have even been a need to be a thing...if Dr. Mann hadn't been a giant pussy and led them to the wrong fucking planet, they would have just been left with Brand's love's planet and gone there anyways.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah it was just bad. It's unfortunate too because most of the movie was some of Nolan's best work.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I interpreted the watch the same way when I first saw the movie. Also that love is what made future humans bother to construct the tesseract. And that Brand got lucky guessing the correct planet and Cooper made the right decision overruling her. My interpretation was that "love" as referred to by Cooper is a force only in the sense that it propels and motivates people to thought and action they would not take otherwise, not in the sense of Brand's description as a physical, quantifiable force.

Going back and reviewing the scene, it seems more likely that the intention was the other way around. Cooper specifically states that "Love" was how he found the bedroom moment in the first place and says Brand was right and it is a quantifiable force (first 30 seconds):

Even though I think my first impression was wrong, I can still interpret the movie's love as being "a force that makes people chemically think/feel/act", as we understand it today, and not "a force that physically impacts the universe" and still fit everything pretty much into place. The tesseract is built to allow navigation via brain chemicals, those brain chemicals are quantifiable, Brand took a lucky guess. Bam! Hard sci-fi.

Even if not, the movie is just so good that I'm happy to let another force into the universe to make it work--it really just means that what present-day humans call "love" is only a surface understanding, and possibly even a misinterpretation, of this previously unknown force.

Definitely one of my favorites, and probably one of the movies I'm happiest I got to see in theaters.
It just came off as cheesy the whole "don't do the obvious logical thinking/science stuff to save the human race, LOVE will get us there". Honestly the whole Brand being in love with the other guy and his planet being the right one shouldn't have even been a need to be a thing...if Dr. Mann hadn't been a giant pussy and led them to the wrong fucking planet, they would have just been left with Brand's love's planet and gone there anyways.
This just really gets my goat when people say "UGH love" and treat it like people writing poems to each other, as if they are SO beyond "the cheese" and then don't hear any of the arguments the movie makes about it NOT being that. Well, sophisticates, don't think about rock songs and holding hands: while it's not a precise analogy, its much more like quantum entanglement where two particles even separated across vast distances are affected by state changes: Without such an intimate connection, the "aliens", who aren't able to pinpoint specific moments in space-time, need 3D humans' assistance to find such a moment to make sure that the future unfolds in a certain way. We know they get this help because linear causality gets fucked at higher dimensions because 4D time isn't linear and now my head hurts. It's really an elegant physics construct that lots of people overlook because they can't get past the word "love" and its 201X and love is for children blah blah blah.

Yes, "love" is an emotional state that has a physical effect, and yes, Cooper and Brand speculate its a connection to a higher dimension, and all kinds of things that scientists trying to make a convincing argument facing the end of humanity in a distant galaxy far from Earth might do. To sharpen the quantum entanglement analogy, love is like an entanglement with an internal shadow copy of a particle that keeps getting updated from reality, and that can get thrown off, and not get good updates, or get bad updates, or get no updates at all, and this is how relationships end or people carry torches for old flames for decades, etc. In this movie, however, it ties Cooper to that bedroom and gives him the ability to send the message, as well as explains the "ghost" she sees in there her whole life, and really touches on the connection between a father and a daughter.

Given all the thought that went into this movie, which was started out as a script that his brother wrote, and the effort that was spent engaging Kip Thorn, etc. and all of the amazing concepts Nolan has brought to the big screen, I think that Tenet is going to be amazing.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users