Terminator Genisys (2015)

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
The flip side of that is you can only go forward (in making new timelines, not time itself) and seems like no way to go back to your old timeline. Your going to be constantly in a episode of Sliders/quantum leap with no chance the next leap is the leap home!!
But there was the episode of Sliders where they made it home, they just didn't know because someone had just finished oiling the squeaky hinge......and I have nfi how I remember that.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Because it was one of the most dramatic thing any of us have every been exposed to, that's how.

Column_sl

shitlord
It really is not that bad. It just isn't a Cameron terminator film, and it also isn't as hardcore as a rated R version would be.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok so if Genisys creates a new timeline in which none of the other movies/TSCC happened, heres a question.

Why the fuck did failing to kill Sarah Connor as a nine year old push Judgement Day back 20 years? I mean they blew up goddamn Cyberdyne and it only pushed Judgement day back to 2004. Trying to kill Sarah shouldn't have changed anything, and since they jumped forward from 1984 to 2017, the only time period where things could have changed was from whenever Sarah was 9 to 1984 when Genisys started.

Sterling

El Presidente
Just saw this. It certainly is no masterpiece, but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be going in. Better than 3 which I think people bash on a bit more than it really deserves, and certainly better than Salvation, but a pretty huge step down from the first 2.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its ok, much better than salvation at least. why didnt arnie destroy skynet when he was an employee there?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah that's a plot hole that slipped past me. If he could arrange for a fucking panic room to be built in anticipation of them blowing up the building, why couldn't he have set up the explosives himself?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah that's a plot hole that slipped past me. If he could arrange for a fucking panic room to be built in anticipation of them blowing up the building, why couldn't he have set up the explosives himself?
He was laid off before he had the chance.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It really is not that bad. It just isn't a Cameron terminator film, and it also isn't as hardcore as a rated R version would be.
I honestly thought it was pretty enjoyable and I went in with terrible expectations about the movie sucking rocks and was fully prepared for that. At least they are in the movies starting to wake up to the fact that the time lines are totally fucked up and casuality may not be a thing any more.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Ok so if Genisys creates a new timeline in which none of the other movies/TSCC happened, heres a question.

Why the fuck did failing to kill Sarah Connor as a nine year old push Judgement Day back 20 years? I mean they blew up goddamn Cyberdyne and it only pushed Judgement day back to 2004. Trying to kill Sarah shouldn't have changed anything, and since they jumped forward from 1984 to 2017, the only time period where things could have changed was from whenever Sarah was 9 to 1984 when Genisys started.
Maybe because t1 and t2 did not happen in that timeline anymore. Didn't they use some t1 left over parts to make sky net in t2? If they don't have those parts it takes should take longer to make. I did not watch the tv show so no idea what they did, is the tv show considered cannon still? Is it worth a watching now?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'd recommend watching the tv show for entertainment value. I think in relation to this one it doesn't fit the story line though. Although, I could be completely wrong. Time travel is hard.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe because t1 and t2 did not happen in that timeline anymore. Didn't they use some t1 left over parts to make sky net in t2? If they don't have those parts it takes should take longer to make. I did not watch the tv show so no idea what they did, is the tv show considered cannon still? Is it worth a watching now?
*edit* When i first wrote this post, I misunderstood what you were saying. You are absolutely correct, the lack of T800 parts from the original terminator is why Judgement Day was pushed back so far.

That's my point. In that timeline, destroying all of Cyberdyne's research and the leftover T800 parts still only pushed Judgement day back from 1997 to 2004. The creation of Skynet is basically a causal loop. In T2-3 and TSCC, Skynet is always developed out of the research done by Cyberdyne related to the leftover T800 parts.

Incidentally, I just answered my own question. The reason Judgement Day was pushed back so far in the Genisys timeline is because Sarah and Pops completely destroyed all the parts of the T-800, leaving nothing for Cyberdyne to research. Skynet was forced to rely on sending itself back in the form of John, which is, amusingly, another causal loop. I guess it's not a predestination paradox because of the way time works in Terminator. By sending itself back through John, Skynet is essentially creating a new nexus at the point that it sends John to, causing the timeline he sent John back from to immediately become divergent.

Honestly, the more I try to pick it apart, the more I like the movie. If it had been rated R with better chemistry between Courtney and Clarke, it would have been just as good as either of the first two.

As for canon, nothing but Genisys is 'canon' now, because Genisys is now the main timeline, and all the other movies and shows are divergent. TSCC was always a divergent timeline that picked up after T2 and assumed T3 never happened. Judgement day happens in 2011 in the tv show.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ive only seen t1 and t2. Should I watch 3 and 4 and tv show before this or just jump back in.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There aren't any plot elements from 3 or 4 that show up in this. If you've seen T1 and T2 that's all you need.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're fine only having seen 1 and 2. Genisys is a new timeline that replaces the old movies, and TSCC was a divergent timeline that replaced T3.

The TV show is pretty good and worth watching, but you aren't missing anything by not seeing 3 and 4.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I didn't watch T4, but this one does seem very different in the fact that:

The end of the movie was the end. Terminators dead. Skynet done. No pieces left to or teaser for next episode. Happy ending. I'm sure the alternate timeline bullshit gives them options, but this seemed very final compared to the other films

I was hoping there would be post-credits scene with Pops working as a construction worker and picking up the forklift full of shit and moving it or something. Would've been nice laffs.

8/10