Terraria

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I couldn't figure out how to talk to the "guide". WoW has ruined me... feels bad man.

DavivMcD

Peasant
I bought this game when it first came out and couldn't get into it. Just gave it another try, figuring I'd check out how much it's changed.

I really really dig the exploration, the crafting progression, the music, the sense of atmosphere. But the combat just feels like shit. Unless the mechanics of it dramatically change later in the game, I don't think I will ever be able to enjoy it. I'm talking like, being able to build turrets and hire mercenaries who do all your fighting for you so you can just focus on the exploration and crafting.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Combat gets about a billion times better later on. Once you have double/triple/quad jump, flight, gravity control and ranged/spells/bombs etc it becomes a lot more interesting.

Holy shit they aren't kidding about hardmode though. Everything just went from faceroll to I'm scared to go below dirt level.

Goonsquad Officer
With careful building you can avoid almost all mobs.

I found combat more enjoyable when you have broadswords (for reach) or muskets (for fast killins of trash mobs) or magic (vile thorn, various wands). the starting weapon is miserable.

you can also set up traps eventually to kill trash near your base. not really gonna help you explore tho.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Combat gets about a billion times better later on. Once you have double/triple/quad jump, flight, gravity control and ranged/spells/bombs etc it becomes a lot more interesting.

Holy shit they aren't kidding about hardmode though. Everything just went from faceroll to I'm scared to go below dirt level.
Hardmode so far has been kinda weird. It starts out as a huge step up in difficulty, but you get so much OP gear that we progressed through it insanely fast. Me, Hatorade, and Devroe just started hardmode yesterday, and we've already almost completed it. In 4 hours I had a full set of Palladium, Orich whatever, Adamantite, Hallowed (minus 1 piece), and Chlorophyte. I would finish 1 set, then have the next almost done 20 minutes later. A lot of that for me is cause we've got an awesome plant farm and tons of spelunker potions, but we just ripped through stuff really fast. The hardmode gear makes everything so much more fun though.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
There are items in 1.2 that give you combat pets. With the right equipment, you can have multiple in fact. I read about astaffthat drops that lets you have up to 6 pygmy minions that follow you active at a time. There's also a hardmodesuit of armorthat gives you a permanent leaf above your head that fires at enemies in range. So your request of mercenaries and turrets is in fact in this update!

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So I bought this game a long time ago but never really played it until now. What should my first real goals be? As it is, I've got a dinky little house that I've plopped down some chests and workbench/forge/anvil in and generally just use to dump loot. I'm mostly just dig-dugging away in search of treasure. So far I've found a pink-text Bone Sword that does decent damage, a green Boomerang for range, wearing a suit of Iron armor, gold pick/axe, silver hammer (what's a hammer for, anyway?), and I've found a tan-text Lucky Shackle for 1def and +2 crit, a Menacing Flipper that has +4% dmg and lets me swim (super fuckin helpful!), 3def +5% speed Aglet, and Hermes Boots that let me run real fast and have +1 def. I also have an equip-able Depth Finder that displays how far down I am in meters, but I don't see the use in that.

Oh, I also just randomly started running across the small world I made and found an ice biome quickly followed by a desert biome. Right at the start of the desert one was a temple type thing with an old man who said something about a curse, then turned into a Skeletron and destroyed me...

Caliane

Hammers smash background walls.
of note for anyone new.
In order to smash background walls underground, you need to have a "path" from open air. You can't just smash it out randomly.
However, when you PLACE background walls underground, you simply place your walls OVER the rock/whatever background.

Also, I wasted alot of time trying to figure out how to make grass/moss/leaf backgrounds grow in 1.2. don't bother. Dryad sells them at 10copper each.

Brikker, you have several goals atm.

gold or platinum pickaxe and armor. (one or the other will have spawned for you.)
hook
town. like 10 rooms for npcs. seriously there are alot of them now.

collect over 200 life. This will cause Eye of Cthulu to start spawning at night. This will give you crimate ore, or shadow ore. for the next teir of weapons.
Alternatively, go find the Jungle. Explore this for better gear.

then, explore crimson or corruption.
At the base of either will be demon hearts or shadow orbs. Smash these with bombs. for nice loot.
And danger. smashing 1 will spawn a meteorite. you can back out, and go find this for meteorite gear.
Or smash 3. and spawn a new boss. This boss is the gateway to pre-hardmode end game. it will drop crimate or shadow ore, as well as the extra material needed to craft next teir pickaxe/armor.
which will allow collecting of everything pre-hardmode.

fighting bosses. won't get specific.
But a few very useful things for all of them.
1. potions. Ironskin potion is amazing and cheap. especially early game where it basically doubles your armor. regen is good too.
Campfires are super strong as well early. A large flat area is best. prepping an area in front of the dungeon(oldman/skeletron), or area in crimson/corruption for that boss is a very good idea. a good screen wide flat area. with some wooden platforms, so you can jump up and avoid attacks.
Ranged weapons are generally far better then melee. Flails, boomerangs, flame arrows. +archery potion.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Alright... this game is awesome. Exploration and actually learning the game is something I haven't appreciated in a while.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So how do I get this Guide feller to move into my house so I can more easily figure out what random materials can make? He's fallen down a hill into a pit thing and it's kind of a pain in the ass to go talk to him...

*Edit: Think I need to re-construct my little house to make it more NPC friendly, I guess. Assuming he just will teleport/spawn into it when I meet the NPC Housing requirements?

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Make sure your house meets all the requirements for npcs to live in it. You can use the ? icon on the housing menu to check. Here's alistof all the things a house needs for a npc to move in. If the house is suitable, and the npc is assigned to it, they will walk towards it if they can, or if they can't walk there, such as stuck down the pit you mention, you have to wait until night time, then move away. Npc's will teleport to their home even if they can't reach it during the evening, but only if you are far enough offscreen.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Started playing again after 1.2, but I have never really played it much before. I bought it within the first few episodes of the TB series of Terraria, but didn't even spawn a single boss before, so it is all new to me.

Currently my world looks like this

rrr_img_45586.jpg

Home looks like

rrr_img_45587.jpg

Crafting became a lot better once I started trying to get the crafting equipment as close together as I could. I am sure there is more efficient ways to set it up than I have (lower left room), so any tips there would be good.

Questions I have are

- What plants etc should I get, do I need to set up some farms? Would be nice if I could put potions into the crafting window to see what is used to create them.
- Do I do dungeon first, or are there other bosses I should spawn first? I have never fought any of the bosses before (so obviously never spawned hard mode before either).
- In hell I found chests I couldn't open. Are the keys craftable? Or do I need to progress in other areas to get them? I'm guessing hell tier items are better than what I can find in other areas. Found a gold key before the guardian killed me, but not found any gold chests where I needed a key to open them. Guessing it is further into dungeon?
- Found 2 sky islands so far, how many are usually per map? Wondering if I should go try to find more gravity potions since they have had the best treasures so far.

As to gear right now, I have a platinum pickaxe and iron/platinum armor. I still can't mine anything from hell, but I have found 2 bars of demonite ore, and from the crafting tips I see I can make a nightmare pickaxe from it. I guess that is next?

I found a gravity potion which let me find a second sky island. In that I found

rrr_img_45588.jpg

This thing I really love. Is it rare or craftable? It shoots stars down (does around 44 damage) where I hold my mouse pointer, as well as hit for 20+ in melee range. The stars also work underground, so just spamming it will let me see where all the caves are below as the stars fly into them. Can also clear out all rooms with it before I even enter them. It is exceptionally better than any other item I have found. Are there other weapons like this? Not in terms of damage, but to make the exploration easier with being able to see what is in unexplored areas? I am quite addicted now, but going really slow as I don't really know what to do. Exploring as much as I have has probably taken me over 10 hours and still not done a single boss or progressed at all
smile.png

I have 6 npcs. Guide, old vendor, dye, paint, nurse and explosives. Nobody else has moved in for ages, so guessing I have to find the others or do they not spawn until hard mode?

Caliane

you can place things on wooden platforms, which are passable, instead of wood blocks, like you have. That should make things easier for you.

you are basically at the same point brikker was earlier as I mentioned.

Nightmare pickaxe is what you need to progress yes. however, there is alot of side progression you can do first.
And you need nightmare scales to make it. which come from bosses. The shadow ore alone isn't enough.
Eye of Cthulu will drop the ore. but you need to kill the Eater of worlds for scales.

The first 3 bosses are near each other in difficultly. Eye being the easiest. and will spawn by himself at 200 life randomly.
Eater of worlds is just a bit harder. not much. And skeletron a bit more.

Hornet in the jungle now is also pre-hardmode. not sure where it sits.

Side progression you may want. Again, jungle for hooks, or magic armor, etc. Ice biome has strong gear. (too strong) you want a double jump if you dont have one.

get a set of gear equiv to gold or platinum. jungle, etc.

Bow, boomarang, starfury will make cakework of eye.
Starfury should be decent vs eater. grenades, or a strong sword. aoe is good too. build an arena.

use potions. iron skin, thorns, regen. place campfires.

dungeon drops keys.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Just as some additional tips, you should build your npc housing a few screens away from your main "base". This is because there's a spawn limit of creatures on the screen at a time, and npcs count against that limit. This means if you have all 19 npcs walking around your main base of operations, you won't ever see monster attacks outside of special events like the solar eclipse that override the spawn limit. While you may prefer to not have monster attacks at your main base, that means you miss out on a lot of the random rare loot they can drop. Instead, I suggest you setup auto-kill mechanisms at your base for the monsters.

Here's my main base for example:
20icjn7.jpg

Notice how on each side I have an activated "drawbridge". When I run across it opens and closes automatically for me. When monsters approach, instead they fall through into the teleporters I setup. Those teleporters port the monsters to the little death room I have in the basement area, where they are killed automatically by spear, spike, and super dart traps, along with a thin layer of lava, that still deals damage, but is too shallow to destroy the dropped items. While I'm putzing around my base, monsters are constantly spawning, approaching, getting caught in my traps, dying, and when I'm ready to leave, I swing by the basement and collect a huge stack of coins, along with any other rare loot.

This setup is especially great during invasions, as the whole invasion kamikaze's for you, putting the loot in a nice neat pile, and all you have to deal with is the few magic mobs that teleport inside. For that, you can just rig some dart traps to a timer, and activate it for automated home defense during invasions!

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
That looks sweet. Got a link to a guide on how to set up the monster trap?
I do not have a link to a guide, but I can explain how I made it. Here's a pic with my wiring shown:
15cfzn7.jpg

With the teleporters in the "moat" pits that monsters fall into, use yellow pressure plates for activation, since only monsters can trigger them, thus saving you from accidentally killing yourself. When wiring the moat teleporters to the receiving teleporter, make sure you don't overlap the receiving teleporter's pressure plates. That keeps the trap a one way trip for the monsters. For the pressure plates inside the little death room that activate the traps inside, just make sure to use a different colored wiring so they don't link with the outer wires. Also make sure the left and right side wires don't cross the central teleporter middle block, again so that it stays a one way trip.

For the lava part, once the trap is fully built, dump a single bucket of lava inside the room. Once the lava settles, take your empty bucket and scoop up the lava on the far side of the little pool it made. This will take about half of your pool back into the bucket, leaving a thin layer of lava that does full damage, but is too shallow to destroy items or coins.

My trap has both the new super traps as well as lava, but once you get access to the new 1.2 traps, the lava is really overkill since the new traps do extreme amounts of damage and can be left out. Of course, the new 1.2 traps are only found while scavaging the new underground jungle temple, which is the final area you unlock in the games progression. Until you reach there to thief some OP traps, lava alone is enough. It just takes a while for some hard mode enemies to die in lava, but they will die.

Teleporters are also a mid to late game item sadly. They are sold by the steampunk npc, who only moves in after you both activate hard mode, and kill at least one of the mechanical hard mode bosses. Until you can obtain teleporters, just use the thin lava layer in the moats instead of teleporters. Enemies will still die in the moat, but you will have to run to each side to collect your loot instead of it being in a single central location. A lava moat trap though can be made right away in a new world though, and requires no progression.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the tips Sinzar and Caliane. Laughed when I saw your house Sinzar. That is just a wee bit advanced. Teleporters and such? Didn't even know they were in the game....

I do currently have the problem with no mobs spawning close to my house, so thanks for that tip. Didn't know about NPCs culling mobs.

So far now I have killed Skeletror or whatever it was called, the dungeon sentry. Also killed the Eye and the Queen Bee. Those are the only bosses I have seen/fought so far. Was just exploring the jungle and found a hive, started digging, almost drowned in honey, then the queen came. Total cheesefest. It was in the cave systems, no flat surfaces anywhere, and the boss got stuck for some reason (even though it apparently can fly through the ground). So I just stood in a corner and pelted it with wooden arrows. Got the Bee Gun that shoots little homing bees.

Tried exploring the dungeon, that place does not have culling. So.... many....skeletons, they also spawn incredibly fast. Rooms there where 3-4 mobs are always coming from one direction or the other. To hell with spikes though, especially chests resting on them. Found a magic missile, cobalt shield and some other things. Also used the bones from the dungeon to create a full set of necro armor.

I still have yet to find any jump item other than a "jump slightly higher" item. I found a Giant harpy feather, which I see can make angel wings, but it requires soul of flight or something, from flying mobs. I haven't seen them drop, so guessing that is a hard mode item? Tempted to just create new worlds to do nothing but explore for sky islands. That is where I got the jump a little higher thing, not seen anything related to jumping anywhere else.

I saw mention of 19 NPCs? I have 9 now. Found a gun and the ammo merchant moved in. Is the minishark/gun worth it? Not sure what I should be spending gold on. Only item I have bought so far aside from ammo is the piggy bank. I have 41 gold.

Also found a dryad bound in the dungeon. She tells me of the corruption level, but it has not changed from 5% since I got her, does that change later if I do not do anything about it? I see she sells potions to reduce the level of corruption.

Really enjoy the game so far.