Terraria

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Corruption becomes something of a problem after Wall of Flesh (hardemode gateway mob) also small maps have 3 islands, medium have 4, and large have 5. Generally speaking, of course. THe Minishark is worth it... sort of, if you like ranged combat a bunch. And you generally should! It eventually upgrades (with lots of hardmode boss killing) to the Megashark, which becomes quite the rape weapon with the right prefix from the goblin merchant.

Gold is spent best on shit you are going to use, up until you hit hardemode stuff that just requires you to find the top tier ore or boss mobs. Which happens super fast after the Wall if you managed (and you sort of have to) to explore your corrupted/crimson areas to find the altars you break with the hammer.

Anecdotal evidence and all, but I killed the Wall with hell armor and a star fury, using a night's edge to just cull the hungry. Always use the regeneration and ironskin pots, and if possible make yourself a meal with the clay bowl/goldfish/mushroom, as the stats do sort of make a difference.

Caliane

I just killed brain, and hornet yesterday.

Had a MASSIVE power boost over the day.
started at 2out of 3 platinum armor. plat pickaxe, and enchanted boomarang. a cool chain knife as weapon after boomarang.
But finished my 3/3 plat armor, and make a diamond staff. whooooooo boy that diamond staff. That thing is NUTS for a pre-hardmode weapon.
I am not sure how the lower teir crafted staves are. ruby/sapphire etc. but diamond is beast.
It fires very fast. straight line. piercing enemies, but not blocks. 5mpish/shot. 4-5 shots per star.
This thing obliterated brain. And bee.

Dryad comes after you kill the eye. you found goblin tinkerer in the dungeon.

Extractinator is stupid overpowered.
The thing that turns slush/silt into random ore and gems. But its ALWAYS ore or gems.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
This game feels overwhelming after the last few posts/seeing those houses you guys made. Shit, all I've been doing is digging and looking for golden chests. I didn't even know there were fuckin islands in the sky! How do you get to them?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This game feels overwhelming after the last few posts/seeing those houses you guys made. Shit, all I've been doing is digging and looking for golden chests. I didn't even know there were fuckin islands in the sky! How do you get to them?
Gravity potions or build shiny wires of hope(FF7 reference) and climb!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude, being overwhelmed is the best part. Sooooo much shit to do. I have a shithole tower for my NPCs atm, but this is going to become a glass castle in the sky in the very near future. Still working on getting Titanium gear made (no I don't have a decent farm setup =/ It is things like this that keep me from having nice things) before I start really aiming for the hardmode bosses. I do have a poison staff that absofuckinlutely rapes most stuff with a few clicks, making me feel way more badass than I am. The caster gear just adds duration, not power in most cases, to caster scenarios. I'm having much more luck with the melee helms and the increased AC et al vs. having extra mana. Your mileage may vary, though.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Extractinator is stupid overpowered.
The thing that turns slush/silt into random ore and gems. But its ALWAYS ore or gems.
Oh! I totally found one of these, too. Wasn't sure how to use it, but good to know what it does!

Caliane

"place" silt or slush into them. like you would place a block on the ground. use the block on it directly. not in the crafting menu.

And again, its kindof stupidly overpowered.

its neat in that it spawns all kinds of ore. pre-hardmode anyway. so, in 1.2 worlds have alternates.
meaning. you get copper OR tin. not both. iron OR lead. Gold OR platnium. silver OR tungsten. the extractor will give you all kinds, even ones that are not in your current world.
But the relative ease of getting slush, and even silt is just super easy. Turning 200 slush into 25 platinum, and 5 diamonds is a bit silly. (and 170 OTHER ores/gems)

Dont know if post hardmode, it will give post hardmode ores as well.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah my limited experience with extractor was that it is pretty crazy good.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I had been playing this with my kids a few weeks ago ad we got to the level of the first few bosses, got some stacks of that special ore (demonic I think?). We were able to craft nightmare pickaxes axe ans sword for all 3 of us plus one suit of that armor that gives the shadow/speed boost. Sorry I don't remember the names but I hope you all know what I mean.

So, being nowhere near end game, would we miss out on early game new content by not starting over? We literally only did the iron->gold->nightmare/demonic gear climb. As far as special items we have hooks, miner hats and a few wands we found in the dungeon. We're not planning on moving our chests over to the new world either.

Rime

<Donor>
Holy heck is the Hardmode Dungeon a murder factory.

Even with full Adamantine Armor and an Excalibur, I get absolutely demolished.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
So, being nowhere near end game, would we miss out on early game new content by not starting over?
I strongly recommend you spawn a new world to play in for 1.2 content. Just off the top of my head here's a list of what you're missing out by keeping a pre-1.2 world instead:

-- The biggest one is no underground jungle temple. This means you will completely miss out on Golem, the new final boss of the game, who drops the best pickaxe available, along with some amazing gear.
-- None of the new 1.2 items that come from chests. This means you have no chance to find in boxes amazing items like water walking boots, lava charm, (which upgrade to the amazingLava Waders), etc.
-- No ice biome. That means you miss out on a lot of new enemies, along with the gear and materials they provide.
-- No hives. That means no Queen Bee boss, which is a new normal mode boss.
-- No unique biome chests will be in your dungeon. This means if you win the lottery in hardmode and get a biome key, you won't be able to use it in your world (you can bring them into other worlds, but yeah...)

There's probably more things you will miss if you don't remake a world post-1.2, but that should be enough reason!

You can keep your old characters though without missing anything.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not very far yet, having just started the new patch last night, but I remember from previous games that the thing this game needed most is a Wand of Equal Trade (from Thaumcraft/Minecraft). It lets you click existing blocks and it magically replaces them with the new blocks you determine. Makes switching your house from stone to cooler stuff later on a lot easier. I don't suppose they've implemented something like that now, have they?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sinzar, did you keep your character when you went to the new patch?

I started a new character, now I've killed everything to the Wall of Flesh. Full molten, Night's Edge, requisite accessories, etc. Now that I am back at the hardmode point, I am strongly considering switching back to my main character. Not sure I really want to grind out hardmore ore progression when I have a full Hallowed character I worked hard to get. I think I'm ready to jump into hardmode content.

Unfortunately I don't have Crimson. Had I known you need Crimson to get Vamp Knives, I probably would have rolled worlds until I got it.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
It lets you click existing blocks and it magically replaces them with the new blocks you determine. Makes switching your house from stone to cooler stuff later on a lot easier. I don't suppose they've implemented something like that now, have they?
They do not have an item such as you are describing. The closest thing is the newclentaminator. It lets you "spraypaint" entire sections of the world to instantly convert that entire area to new biomes. You can mass convert sections of world to corruption, crimson, hallowed, mushroom, or back to the default grass/rock. It's not a precision tool though. When you fire it, it covers an enormous area per blast.

Sinzar, did you keep your character when you went to the new patch?
I started completely fresh for 1.2. I figured if I brought over my earlier gear it would just shorten the lifespan of the new content patch for me. As it is, I played 1.2 kinda hardcore the past week, and have already "beaten" the game again. Skipping over normal mode and half of hardmode by starting at hallowed would have given me even less mileage from the patch!

I did port over a lot of house decorations and vanity gear though. I just limited myself from anything progression or combat power related like armor, weapons, accessories, consumables, or tools.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
So I used bombs to blow up three shadow orbs to get EoW to spawn, but then left. He is no longer around is there anyway to respawn him? I'm trying to get a nightmare axe built.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I used bombs to blow up three shadow orbs to get EoW to spawn, but then left. He is no longer around is there anyway to respawn him? I'm trying to get a nightmare axe built.
Yes, craftworm foodat a demon alter, then use it at night in the Corruption. Or break 3 more orbs.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I have broken 2 orbs, when I break the third, does he spawn immediately where you are so you have to prepare ahead of breaking it, or do I have time to mirror and run to a pre-set up arena? I did that when eye spawned. Mirrored at first message that the eye was watching me and had time to run to a long flat area I sat up filled with campfires before it spawned around a minute later.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Thanks guys, total newb. Seems like everyone says to get full gold set of gear before attempting him, but gold seems to be real scarce, any tips for finding more gold?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
He's not bad, just bring dynamite with and it'll almost oneshot him.

If anyone hasn't found it yet, make some farm worlds and check deserts for underground tombs. There is another cloud in a bottle type item that comes from there, as well as one in the ice biomes. Can combine all of them together to make a quad jumping hilarious accessory.