Thailand

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So, my wife's brother and his wife are living in Thailand, and have been for some time, on the outskirts of Bangkok. They have the weeks of x-mas and news year off work, and my mother-in-law is going out to stay with them for those 2 weeks. My wife would like us to go as well. I get along with my mother-in-law fine, but my wife's brother and his wife are basically the most stereotypical "woke" people I have ever met. They are like a poster for every annoying thing you can think of, and all conversations revolve around them complaining about everything in the world, and letting you know how much better they are than other people. A typical encounter is them complaining they can't get the correct(?) vegan food, then while eating telling you how all white people are inherently racist, then refusing to tip because they don't want to be a part of that system or some dumb shit. Basically, I can handle them for a bit, but I'm not spending 2 weeks with these idiots.

So, my plan is to leave the US Friday Dec 13 for SOMEWHERE for 1 week. Then, meet up with my mother in law in Bangkok a week later (when she flies in around Dec 20th) and spend 1 week with her and my wife's family (her brother suggested a couple of days in Bangkomk and a few days in Chiang Mai). Then, my wife and I will split off on our own again for the 3rd week and go SOMEWHERE. So my plan is a 3 week vacation total, with only the middle week actually being with in-laws in Thailand.

So, as someone who has never been out of the US, and who this is likely my only trip to this area, what would some of you suggest? I have a friend who said Thailand is fine, but that we should hop a bus to Cambodia. I met a guy who was talking about how much better Vietnam was than Thailand as well. I'm wondering if I should fly in to Japan for a week, then do Thailand, then the last week in Cambodia or something?

If it helps, my wife and I like trying new things (shes 33 and I will be 40, so not crazy kids or anything), we both pack light (probably just a single backpack each), money isn't a hug concern, and would prefer just soaking in a lot of once in a lifetime places or things to do. I guess that's probably all pretty normal vacation stuff.

If you don't think you'll ever come back to Asia, and it's your first time there, I'd suggest going to Japan, Taiwan or Korea + Thailand. You'll see two very different faces of Asia. Combodia by bus, I wouldn't recommend on the first trip in the area, even Vietnam is getting difficult these days (not dangerous at all, but easy to waste your time & money, tourism has shifted there from western tourists to Russian, Chinese and Korean tourists, and they aren't looking for the same stuff as we do). If you're lucky maybe you can find a plane ticket that would do USA -> Tokyo -> Bangkok -> Taiwan -> USA that isn't much more expensive than USA->Bangkok->USA.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I liked vietnam a lot more than other poor asian countries. It felt a lot safer. I think a big part of it is the lack of a tipping culture. In thailand or other tourist overrun countries everyone has their hand out, they follow you around, harass you for tips etc. Had numerous tug of wars over my luggage with "porters"... none of this happened in vietnam. Yes some parts of vietnam are overrun with russian and chinese tourists (avoid nha trang!) but others are not. I highly recommend going to Hue, and some of the vietnam war sites/museums around central vietnam are interesting as you will get to see the viet Kong's perspective on it.

For rich asian contries to visit it has to be japan. Korea, shanghai, hk, singapore all have their merits (korean theme parks are awesome) but Japan is peak in terms of alien experiences. In many was it feels like they're living in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I liked vietnam a lot more than other poor asian countries. It felt a lot safer. I think a big part of it is the lack of a tipping culture. In thailand or other tourist overrun countries everyone has their hand out, they follow you around, harass you for tips etc. Had numerous tug of wars over my luggage with "porters"... none of this happened in vietnam. Yes some parts of vietnam are overrun with russian and chinese tourists (avoid nha trang!) but others are not. I highly recommend going to Hue, and some of the vietnam war sites/museums around central vietnam are interesting as you will get to see the viet Kong's perspective on it.

For rich asian contries to visit it has to be japan. Korea, shanghai, hk, singapore all have their merits (korean theme parks are awesome) but Japan is peak in terms of alien experiences. In many was it feels like they're living in the future.
DON'T TRAVEL TO CHINA OR HK

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I highly recommend going to Hue, and some of the vietnam war sites/museums around central vietnam are interesting as you will get to see the viet Kong's perspective on it.
Just don't call them vietcongs when in vietnam ! And Yeah do not go to nha trang it's unfortunately a lair of lower middle class Russians looking for young prostitutes.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Planning a trip to Thailand in January. Thinking four days in Bangkok, fly to Siem Reap and spending two days exploring Angkor Wat, fly to Chiang Mai and spend four days in that area. Most of the time would be spent out of the city in the wilderness but I'll spend a day and a half or so in the city itself. Then fly back to Bangkok to spend one final day there before heading back to the States.

I know it sounds weird to go to Thailand and not do any of the beach/island activities, but I'm not the biggest beach guy and I'll be doing this trip solo so a beach destination with an area full of couples doesn't sound fun.

I'm really stoked to see Angkor Wat. It's in my Top 2-3 of places I want to see.

Vinen

God is dead
Planning a trip to Thailand in January. Thinking four days in Bangkok, fly to Siem Reap and spending two days exploring Angkor Wat, fly to Chiang Mai and spend four days in that area. Most of the time would be spent out of the city in the wilderness but I'll spend a day and a half or so in the city itself. Then fly back to Bangkok to spend one final day there before heading back to the States.

I know it sounds weird to go to Thailand and not do any of the beach/island activities, but I'm not the biggest beach guy and I'll be doing this trip solo so a beach destination with an area full of couples doesn't sound fun.

I'm really stoked to see Angkor Wat. It's in my Top 2-3 of places I want to see.

Make sure to talk to your PCP and get your vaccines updated.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Will definitely do that. Already have yellow fever covered from my Peru trip a couple years ago but I'll need to get malaria as well.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Angkor Wat will be tough to do in 2 days, there is a ton to see and the backpacker "scene" in Siam Reap is fun enough to extend that portion of it. Also, I've done that trip solo multiple times and I can't imagine going all that way and not hitting up at least one of the gulf islands for a few days. It's backpackers, lots (LOTS) of solo or girls trip backpacker girls and the beach backpacker scene is much more fun than the mountain one for that kinda stuff. Plan it around a full/half moon party on Koh Phangan and it's almost a slam dunk you'll get laid.

Have fun, really great countries to visit solo

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I did my fair share of research and most people say three days tops in Angkor Wat is enough and that includes the smaller not-as-impressive temples.

I would like to squeeze in the beach and I planned to but as I started mapping it out I would have to take over two weeks off work and that's tough. It would either be beach or Chiang Mai and jungle exploration is just way higher on my interest list. It's really hard to cover an entire country - especially one as big as Thailand in a single trip.

EDIT: Eh, you're probably right. Seeing if I can get 11 days off and stay over there ~15 days so I can do it all. It is towards the end of our quarter so hopefully it isn't a big deal.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Vacation approved and flight purchased. Staying over there 16 days. Gonna hit up a Full Moon Party while there. Money isn't really an object since everything over there is so cheap so I'm going to ball out with a nice bungalow for that.

Also want to get a tailored suit or two made while there. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Vacation approved and flight purchased. Staying over there 16 days. Gonna hit up a Full Moon Party while there. Money isn't really an object since everything over there is so cheap so I'm going to ball out with a nice bungalow for that.

Also want to get a tailored suit or two made while there. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go?

Grab me some knock off North Face coats.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Any of you have experience with the ferries? Taking a ferry from Koh Phangan to the Surat Thani airport and only giving myself 90 minutes between that and my transfer to my flight. But after reading reviews I'm getting nervous about potential delays. Alternative is possibly sitting at the Surat Thani airport for six hours but that's a lot better than throwing my entire itinerary out of whack.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

These guys made some great suits for a friend of mine while I was in Bangkok

• 1Worf

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Thread too long can't read...
DON'T TAKE DRUGS .. Half the dealers are on the take with the cops and will dob you in.. Years ago I was there, a local bloke comes over to myself and the crew on the beach with a 90L backpack full of weed and tries to sell to us.. Luckily I had seen him already and the cops who where watching him..

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I'm not the biggest beach guy

Yeah, I wouldn't bother so much with the beaches.. Nice and all, but it could be because I come from a beach town too.. but I find the country side/jungles are heavily underrated and the beach area's are overpopulated via tourists and such; unless that is the experience you want. Imo; better experience avoiding that and just finding the locals. I'd really only plan a trip around a beach area if you wanted to scuba/snorkel or full moon party, which you've said.

Definitely look into renting motorcycles, and traveling the country roads that way. I don't know how accessible as a foreigner that can be, but I've seen youtubers do it; so I can't imagine it being difficult. I grew up back and forth in Thailand, and that has been some of my favorite experience was just renting a motorcycle and riding through the backroads from a town to town on the northern side; you see a lot of interesting things, and very interesting/friendly people.

I haven't watched the whole thing, so sorry if hes obnoxious or annoying; clicking through it is pretty relative to my experience.

want to get a tailored suit or two made while there. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go?

I'd definitely get that done in your time in BKK... just for a better turn rate/service/abundance.. as a specific recommendation, I can't say but I know they're all over from what I remember. I haven't been in almost 10 years, but planning to figure out my citizenship mid next year to do a 6month stay or longer depending on work.

Also, the youtuber Mark Weins has some good videos of him going around Thailand, mostly BKK and getting down on some local 'secrets' I hate his face and expressions.. but credit cause boy deepdove this passion, married a Thai wife, and now lives there basically doing this. The foodie dream.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I wouldn't bother so much with the beaches.. Nice and all, but it could be because I come from a beach town too.. but I find the country side/jungles are heavily underrated and the beach area's are overpopulated via tourists and such; unless that is the experience you want. Imo; better experience avoiding that and just finding the locals. I'd really only plan a trip around a beach area if you wanted to scuba/snorkel or full moon party, which you've said.

Definitely look into renting motorcycles, and traveling the country roads that way. I don't know how accessible as a foreigner that can be, but I've seen youtubers do it; so I can't imagine it being difficult. I grew up back and forth in Thailand, and that has been some of my favorite experience was just renting a motorcycle and riding through the backroads from a town to town on the northern side; you see a lot of interesting things, and very interesting/friendly people.

I haven't watched the whole thing, so sorry if hes obnoxious or annoying; clicking through it is pretty relative to my experience.

I'd definitely get that done in your time in BKK... just for a better turn rate/service/abundance.. as a specific recommendation, I can't say but I know they're all over from what I remember. I haven't been in almost 10 years, but planning to figure out my citizenship mid next year to do a 6month stay or longer depending on work.

Also, the youtuber Mark Weins has some good videos of him going around Thailand, mostly BKK and getting down on some local 'secrets' I hate his face and expressions.. but credit cause boy deepdove this passion, married a Thai wife, and now lives there basically doing this. The foodie dream.
Yeah, I think I'd have to hardcore plan if I ever went back. Not planning made my trip...odd. There's just too many scams and 'services' that will try to get their hooks into you if you just wander around aimlessly without a destination.

The suits I bought were very nice, still have them, but I rarely if ever wear them. Still need to lose another 10-15lbs.

My only gripe with staying away from the beaches was that...I dunno if it was just me, but whenever I did, the humidity jumped up to like 80%. I'd just been in Iraq, 100+ degrees, and the heat/humidity in Thailand just fucking kicked my ass, LOL. I remember thinking multiple times to myself "Jesus, this sucks" and started looking for stuff closer to the ocean.

Otherwise, if I went back I'd love to get out further into the countryside, but then again, some of what I saw just seemed kind of...pedestrian, I guess.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
These guys made some great suits for a friend of mine while I was in Bangkok

Lol homie is literally pointing you to the infamous Bangkok jewelry and suit scam.

Beaches and full moon parties are overrated. You'll be partying next to fucked up drughead Aussies and stepping on syringes on the beach. Bangkok sucks but it's a right of passage so just spend 2 days there. Go to Chang Mi in Thailand, hit up Laos, Angkor wat - do 3 days, and Vietnam.

Get off the beaten path. Thailand is overrated. Except for the food which is maybe best in world for price.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Lol homie is literally pointing you to the infamous Bangkok jewelry and suit scam.

Beaches and full moon parties are overrated. You'll be partying next to fucked up drughead Aussies and stepping on syringes on the beach. Bangkok sucks but it's a right of passage so just spend 2 days there. Go to Chang Mi in Thailand, hit up Laos, Angkor wat - do 3 days, and Vietnam.

Get off the beaten path. Thailand is overrated. Except for the food which is maybe best in world for price.

What’s the scam? The place is literally owned by a Canadian expat. I think they charged my friend $300 bucks a suit for something of quality that i’d pay close to a grand in the US.