The Astronomy Thread

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The glasses I ordered off Amazon for my girlfriend and I turned up yesterday and were not legit. Amazon is refunding me but everywhere around here is sold out. Time to go old school shoe box method.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Once again bros. Be smart.

From the article.
As noted by Karl Denninger at The Market Ticker, while the August 21st solar eclipse may be a once in a lifetime sight to see, the actual act of seeing it may cause serious damage to your eyesight:

You’ve probably seen various sites talking about safety issues. The issues are real, and what I’m sharing with you on this post is important.

Read it, understand it, do not believe for one second that any of this can be trifled with and if you have young people around you make damn sure they understand all of this as well.

There will be thousands of people who will either damage or entirely lose their eyesight tomorrow and there is exactly zero that a doc in the ER or anywhere else will be able to do for you if you wind up screwing yourself by being ignorant, stupid or both.

Please do not be one of the people that have that happen.

Denninger’s full warning can be found here.

Because the eyes do not have pain receptors, if you are looking at the eclipse you will not know that your eyes are literally burning.

There will be no forewarning that you are about to lose your eyesight. And there will be nothing a doctor can do to restore your vision once the damage has been done.

Sun glasses will not help.

Only a commercial grade visual-rated solar filter will safely protect the eyes and as reported earlier this week, even those have been counterfeited and sold at places like Amazon.com.

We urge our readers to speak with friends and family about this very serious threat to your vision, especially if you have young children.

Amazon Issues Refunds For Knockoff Solar Eclipse Glasses

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
And thereby, hundreds and hundreds of new welfare/aid recipients because they made themselves go blind staring at the goddamn sun

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I just put VHS tape over my cell phone camera and cast to a screen.

Im actually gonna try this doubling up sunglasses over my camera. In due for a new phone anyways if i fuck this one up.

Also made a shoe box viewer

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I had to try to make sure some idiot doesn't blind himself tomorrow.

u1pNWr2.jpg

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I had to try to make sure some idiot doesn't blind himself tomorrow.

u1pNWr2.jpg
There is going to be lots of people with perm blind spots if not blind after tomorrow. I was more worried about the people here. If people here cannot see then they cannot see me shit posting them and that is very bad for business. It's amazing people and animals alike are not blind really. We spend a good majority of our waking hours exposed to something that can blind you in seconds and yet most still live out long solid lives without having screwed themselves. Until that is the eclipses happen and people stare at the sky like ohhhh colors.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Gonna watch the after video on space.com myself or youtube. I'm sure there'll be plenty.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, I got scared last night when I read this shit. Im thinking to myself, well thats probably what my 2 dumb kids would do, fuck, its midnight and one of them already sleeping and both me and wife are gone tomorrow to stop the stupid from happening.

So I go into 13 yr olds room, wake his ass up and tell him, dont fucking look into sun tomorrow when eclipse happens. The kid looks up at me and says why the hell did you wake me up, do you think im stupid?

Go visit the basement dweller 16 yr old, and tell him the same thing, I tell him, but then I think to myself, well hell be safe, he sits in basement all day playing xbox with his xbros, lol.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob

also much simpler way of watching the eclipse/partial live - put your back towards the sun so you are facing away from it, point your phone at yourself so its in selfie camera mode, and just watch the eclipse on the screen. Your camera lens won't burn out or any shit. I never understood people who wanna watch an eclipse inside a pinhole box or something, might as well just watch it on youtube

• 2Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Sweet, my job is gonna let everyone go outside and check it out. We made a few shoebox viewers.

• 2Like