The Astronomy Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
oqxLnYd.jpg

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Watched the eclipse in totality, felt very surreal with how fast the light changed from dark to light. 10/10 would eclipse again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Shoebox viewers suck, find glasses.

We had 90% blockage here or something, disappointing. Should have made the trip to Oregon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They said we were going to get 90% blockage, but it looked more like 97% to me. Pretty surreal to have it so dark in the middle of the day.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I was outside for totality, had a little over a minute of it. Was pretty cool. Wish I would have had a filter for my camera to take photos.

• 1Like

Cybsled

All the fake glasses stuff got me paranoid, even though I bought mine direct months ago. Only 70% ish here, but still looks cool.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All the fake glasses stuff got me paranoid, even though I bought mine direct months ago. Only 70% ish here, but still looks cool.

Yeah, Amazon really needs to get their shit together will all the chinese fake bullshit. It isn't only contained to the glasses either. The website is littered with all these ripoff 3rd party sellers.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
The ones I used were issued by WKU and had a lannard. Wasn't even glasses was a reflective card you couldn't see through unless you looked at the sun. 10 minutes ago we hit total 100% eclipse for 2 minutes. Near total darkness then everything started to brighten. Insane shit to be honest. The temperature change, the lack of movement from birds and noise. Was very creepy feeling as all the shadows we are used to seeing at dusk were out of place.
I probably fried my phone camera but I took over 300 photos.
The nutty thing to me was the fact that at 0% sun hidden by moon it was 90% dark. A minute later with just 1% of the sun exposed it was 50% dark. That sun is one powerful bright motherfucker. Hopefully this steers kids more into space and science and away from gender study degrees.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
Dupe... ignore.
Recently I went to buy stuff for my van. A year ago it didn't exist like this but I was able to buy a knock sensor, coolant sensor, cam sensor and 4 oxygen sensors for $76 between amazon and ebay. Autoaone/advance price? $390 for those 7 sensors. I can buy a brand NEW complete radiator on Ebay atm for $62 shipped. Autozone $169+ core+tax. Many ebay sellers are stocking their goods into Amazon warehouse now as well. Many things I buy on Ebay get 2 day shipped from Amazon.
Goodbye old world, hello new. BTW those sensors work perfectly. I tested with OBD and ECM voltage and codes. All working to spec and reading as they are supposed too.

The glasses are fucked up though. Amazon is notoriously bad about not vetting sellers( causing people to wait weeks/months for a item that never ships ) and products. More than once I had a full refund because flea medicine for my cats were counterfeit.

At 10 minutes until eclipse through the sun protector and at 1 minute till.

yaba.png

yab.png

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Welding mask is the way to go. If you have one and it doesn't auto darken aim a TV remote at the sensor.

20170821_141317.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
After I few minutes I went mad with power

WIs6O0U.png

ECLIPSE MADDNESS

• 2Worf

Oldbased

> Than U
100% clear here, I left that out. The total part was the best part. Even 5 minutes before and 1 minute after it only looked like it was dusk. When it hit total, it didn't get pitch black but there was no shadows and it was like being inside a house in late afternoon. It was pretty freaky. Just prior and just after, not so much. I wish I had recorded it now.

Taken 1 mile from me downtown.

DHxhGxuVoAElbqB.jpg

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We had 80% but it you couldn't tell unless you had glasses. I'm planning on going up north for the one in 2024, so I can experience the full eclipse. Either way, it was pretty cool to see.

• 2Like