The Astronomy Thread

ShakyJake

<Donor>
We had 80% but it you couldn't tell unless you had glasses. I'm planning on going up north for the one in 2024, so I can experience the full eclipse. Either way, it was pretty cool to see.
What's interesting is that even the outer most planets must still get plenty of sunlight. I think I read somewhere that even on Pluto one could still easily read a book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We flew to visit my wife's family, who are between Hopkinsville and Carbondale. Which is basically dead center between the two big points.

Was pretty awesome. Sounds like everyone north and south of us had clouds.

We got to see everything, including the shadow snakes (prior to C2, C3 they weren't really visible).

Honestly, outside of the stuff a minute before and minute after, it didn't remotely compare. Partial eclipse and total are vastly different experiences.

I'd say the coolest parts were the diamond ring, seeing the sunset effect 360 degrees around, the actual total eclipse, and the shadow snakes. Definitely worth flying here for. The temperature drop wasn't as large as I'd expected. Although we were in a pool most of the day.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Oldbased

> Than U
What's interesting is that even the outer most planets must still get plenty of sunlight. I think I read somewhere that even on Pluto one could still easily read a book.
From images I've seen Antonio Paris show lately with different lens off the rovers on Mars it appears to be about the level of the 80% covered eclipse which was still pretty damn bright. I'd imagine pluto of being near the total eclipse level which wasn't total darkness, but no shadow and everything was still well defined.

We could block the sun 98% and still be light conditions. That sun is overpowered.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
We flew to visit my wife's family, who are between Hopkinsville and Carbondale. Which is basically dead center between the two big points.

Was pretty awesome. Sounds like everyone north and south of us had clouds.

We got to see everything, including the shadow snakes (prior to C2, C3 they weren't really visible).

Honestly, outside of the stuff a minute before and minute after, it didn't remotely compare. Partial eclipse and total are vastly different experiences.

I'd say the coolest parts were the diamond ring, seeing the sunset effect 360 degrees around, the actual total eclipse, and the shadow snakes. Definitely worth flying here for. The temperature drop wasn't as large as I'd expected. Although we were in a pool most of the day.
Ya same experience I posted above. The minutes before/after was like dawn/dusk levels but still bright. The 1 minute prior, 2 minutes during and 1 minute after was insane though. One of our cats was howling/crying inside during it. Same thing he does in bad storms. Has to fuck with animals that don't know what is going on.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
From images I've seen Antonio Paris show lately with different lens off the rovers on Mars it appears to be about the level of the 80% covered eclipse which was still pretty damn bright. I'd imagine pluto of being near the total eclipse level which wasn't total darkness, but no shadow and everything was still well defined.

We could block the sun 98% and still be light conditions. That sun is overpowered.
Nerf the sun!

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
DHxZNjOXYAQ7BPg.jpg:large

Amazing that we've got 6 of those built.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Ya same experience I posted above. The minutes before/after was like dawn/dusk levels but still bright. The 1 minute prior, 2 minutes during and 1 minute after was insane though.
Any good videos out there that show this effect?

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Any good videos out there that show this effect?
Not that I've seen as of yet. Surely there is. I can tell you for about 4 minutes time all the streetlights came on and my motion lights that has a light sensor all activated and my phone started using flash during camera shots. That gives you a basic idea how dark it got for a few minutes. Was far from middle of night darkness though.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
All the fake glasses stuff got me paranoid, even though I bought mine direct months ago. Only 70% ish here, but still looks cool.
I got mine on amazon, what I did was check who was selling them. Mine were from lunt solar, the makers of solar telescopes. I del checked address etc. Glasses worked great.
I
I only had 62% here. The one in 2024 I'll be about 300 miles from totality path. Will plan on a mini vacation to catch totality.

• 1Like