The Astronomy Thread

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Well I did not go blind, I'm already home, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The temperature drop was severe, maybe being in a desert area it dropped more, but I think it was 20 degrees. Watching the shadow approach and wash down the mountains into the valley, and up and out the other side was pretty epic. The 360 degree sunset effect was memorable. The corona was just a Diablo Tyrael wings bright hyper white, it was thicker directly around the moon than I was expecting. The outer corona was awesome to see for sure, but it seemed pretty static during my watching. Was lucky to watch in a small group of 16 in an almost empty high desert valley in Eastern Oregon, right on the Idaho border.

We had some clearly scam glasses in our group, the lenses were missing an obvious metallic coating, not to mention the ISO/Safety regulation number on them. We had enough legit pairs to go around though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Same, probably gonna aim for Burlington, or somewhere in upstate NY.

Same. Burlington is only 3 hours or so away (assuming no traffic), so I'll probably try for that area. Although 91 scares me traffic wise since the damned highway is only 2 lanes wide the more North it goes.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
So I was showing this 50+ year old woman how to use my viewer:

"so just look into this hole and then position this other one to the direction the sun in shining"

She immediately looks behind her to see where the sun is and I clasp my hands over her eyes.

You didn't fucking learn that shit in your 5 decades on earth?

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Same. Burlington is only 3 hours or so away (assuming no traffic), so I'll probably try for that area. Although 91 scares me traffic wise since the damned highway is only 2 lanes wide the more North it goes.

We should do an FoH Eclipse End of the World Cult party!

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I just wonder how many early hominids/humans fried their eyes before they realized not to look at the evil demon eating the sun. Certainly just as smart as some of these assholes.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
gXDmygh.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 5 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
2024 meet up, couple of places would be awesome for different reasons:

1. Sandusky ohio...,2 words....Cedar Point. Best damn amusement park I have ever been too. Sucks that it's april and park closed

2. Geneva NY. Why Geneva? ...finger lakes region, one of the best wine country areas around, bring wives/husbands/whomever, head off do some wine tasting, see eclipse while tasting, then go wine tasting some more. though april be a bitcold. Been in the area in april. Was good. Great hotel I know about an hr away. Has a great water park for kids etc. Going there tomorrow in fact, would not be hard to time the path of totality correctly.

3. Dallas tx....

Mazatlan mexico

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Traffic into portland has been fucked all weekend from the north and south. Todays its equally fucked in the opposite direction. Id plan on crazy traffic.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'll probably go south from saint Louis to the bootheel area for the 2024 one. My son will be 9, so smart enough to not stare at the sun with out glasses.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I was planning on driving to Plattsburgh for 2024 since it's just a 2 hour drive up I-87 for me. A friend was thinking we should go camping for it, but I think April 8 might be a touch early for that.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I was planning on driving to Plattsburgh for 2024 since it's just a 2 hour drive up I-87 for me. A friend was thinking we should go camping for it, but I think April 8 might be a touch early for that.
Nah. It'll make that fire feel that much better. It'll be like 50-60s high and 30-40s low in April. That is about 10 degrees lower than I like it to be but still very comfortable even in a cheap bag inside a tent these days.

Looked it up on WU 61/42 and this year was 60/39. Perfecto. No bugs or much else to nibble on you for that matter. Days before it was 70/50s and April 11+ was 80/50s this year in PA area. Do it. You can doooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeet

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I have friends in Buffalo I haven't visited since they moved there (so what's 7 more years?), though a trip to Newfoundland to see eclipse and then aurora would be quite a bucket list event.

lol:

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I have friends in Buffalo I haven't visited since they moved there (so what's 7 more years?), though a trip to Newfoundland to see eclipse and then aurora would be quite a bucket list event.

lol:

MSNBC Void and vacant haha. I can't remember what this reminded me of but it was some movie where the reporter just no longer gave a shit. It seems Seth Rogen and Jim Carrey comes to mind and probably 2 different movies but one of them.

• 1Like

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MSNBC Void and vacant haha. I can't remember what this reminded me of but it was some movie where the reporter just no longer gave a shit. It seems Seth Rogen and Jim Carrey comes to mind and probably 2 different movies but one of them.
Bruce almighty?

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Nah. It'll make that fire feel that much better. It'll be like 50-60s high and 30-40s low in April. That is about 10 degrees lower than I like it to be but still very comfortable even in a cheap bag inside a tent these days.

Bullshit. I've witnessed snow in May up in Potsdam. Plattsburgh on April 8th would not be viable camping weather.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Seems fine to me. Ya it is possible to get shitty weather, spoiler alert that happens no matter where and when you go someplace, but looking at this data from this year in the month of April at that location, it appears chances are it'll be ok. Always have a backup plan.

rass.png

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm just saying, don't bank on camping. I almost died of hypothermia while camping the second week of September in the north country. The cold is no joke up there.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Especially with rain on >50% of the days. Big fucking difference between 55 degrees with the sun shining and 35 soaking wet in the dark.

• 1Like