The Astronomy Thread

Oldbased

> Than U
They would have needed a boosted antenna and all sorts of other stuff to boost from way out there.
With a radioactive decay power source and ya, at that point you are putting millions into communications and software and all sorts of shit to send back pictures of a spacesuit driving a car through space.
As for the car, I've seen people claim radiation will eat it up in a year or two, but who knows how it will actually fare.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
I wonder how much carbon and tungsten pellets they could’ve boosted to cislunar L5 instead. Just let it chill there till you can eventually get a self-replicating robotic fab to make stuff with it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's impressive.
I wonder if one of those buildings is Jeff Bezos’ massive Blue Origin factory where they’re building a New Glenn rocket for its 2020 launch.

It’s a giant blue box right outside the Space Center’s gates:

EE1EDD42-42F1-432F-90AC-1906F3AD7300.jpeg

The New Glenn is gonna have more capacity than the falcon heavy and its 2nd stage is also supposed to land. They just got their first paying customer too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I wonder if one of those buildings is Jeff Bezos’ massive Blue Origin factory where they’re building a New Glenn rocket for its 2020 launch.

It’s a giant blue box right outside the Space Center’s gates:

View attachment 161431

The New Glenn is gonna have more capacity than the falcon heavy and its 2nd stage is also supposed to land. They just got their first paying customer too.

It only counts when they actually build and launch it (and it doesn't blow up). So far, BO has launched X number of orbital missions, where X is a non negative integer less than one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If that car isnt in a museum by the time im on my death bed humanity has fucked up.

• 2Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Fuck that car.

The first of either SpaceX or Bezos or Virgin Galactic to bring our rovers home to the Smithsonian after years of tireless service on Mars should get a permanent charter to a third of NASA’s budget forever.

Bring Spirit Home!

09E5413B-1C82-4E51-987B-63D4C6F076FE.jpeg

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
dims

New Horizons probe captures images at record distance from Earth

Voyager 1 has held the distance record for a captured image for the past 27 years thanks to its legendary "Pale Blue Dot" photo (3.75 billion miles away from Earth), but that milestone just got smashed. NASA's New Horizons probe took pictures of Kuiper Belt objects at a distance of over 3.79 billion miles from our cosmic home on December 5th.

That is awesome! However, in cosmic terms going from 3.75 billion miles in 1990 to 3.79 billion miles in 2018 is not really "smashing" a record. I wish they would leave that verbiage out of it. It's cool though.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the whole 'article' is kinda cringey, was just the last one I saw about it and realized I didn't post it.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
re that old IMAGE satellite that was "found" transmitting still.

What one amateur observer did that kicked NASA into action – the backstory and timeline

from the article:

they have acquired the telemetry data and have decoded the data files. it is confirmed that it IS the IMAGE satellite, and the battery is at 100%, they still have not been able to decode the actual scientific data as of Feb 1.

in order to actually get some data...they needed to scrounge up some ...older equipment.. the files were on 16yr old 4mm TAPE cartridges.

Does anyone happen to have a 4 mm tape cartridge reader that will work on a modern Linux workstation and a 16-year-old data tape and not disintegrate it?”

ultimately they were able to use the tape backup drive from SOHO (1995) mission

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus fucking christ.

How many fucking canceled rockets/projects is NASA aiming for?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just write Space X a giant check, and get the BFR development done.

NASAs ability to put things into orbit is a joke at this point. Fucking embarrassing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just write Space X a giant check, and get the BFR development done.

NASAs ability to put things into orbit is a joke at this point. Fucking embarrassing.

I talked to a former astronaut who repaired the hubble telescope about the futur of Nasa rockets, he said that they would be very happy if they could stop building rockets. Their goal is space exploration, not putting cargo into orbit. When they can completly outsource that, I'm sure they'll ditch any rocket developpment.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I talked to a former astronaut that repaired the hubble telescope about the futur of Nasa rockets, he said that they would be very happy if they could stop building rockets. Their goal is space exploration, not putting cargo into orbit. When they can completly outsource that, I'm sure they'll ditch any rocket developpment.

This, they need to be doing the space missions private companies don't want too. They can pay the privateers for the ride.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its just shit management combined with the inbred fucks in Congress carrying more about muh pork than a competent, aligned space program.

Just build Saturn Vs again at this point. Its an absolute God damn crime we let such expertise and industrial capability just vanish.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard