The Astronomy Thread

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Its just shit management combined with the inbred fucks in Congress carrying more about muh pork than a competent, aligned space program.

Just build Saturn Vs again at this point. Its an absolute God damn crime we let such expertise and industrial capability just vanish.

Those are REALLY expensive. Assuming the Falcon Heavy proves reliable and the cost stays down, you can get a lot more done using those instead with a given amount of funding. A _lot_ more.

As an aside, I was looking up the BFR and as the information stands at the moment, it is supposed to be more capable than a Saturn V (or SLS) for less money per launch. We'll see, but I hope so. SpaceX has done amazing things so far, it's fairly exciting that they finally got to the point where they're working on this. If they pull it off, it will be amazing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
He won't beat SLS/Orion to the moon next year I don't think
image.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
To clarify, the main reason we haven't done more in space is that it's REALLY expensive. That's the real reason we haven't returned to the moon or sent people beyond low orbit since Apollo. Administrations come and go, and sometimes they make grandiose plans, but until the costs come down, these sort of things are just never going to happen. It's been more than 40 years now, and unless SpaceX or _somebody_ succeeds in this (or some incredibly valuable thing is discovered out beyond low earth orbit) this isn't going to change.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Mysterious interstellar object is spinning out of control

"It has sparked something of a revolution for astronomy.

It’s the fist known object to enter our Solar System from deep space.

Though the truth is there are more than likely thousands of similar interstellar asteroids captured by the gravitational pull of our Sun. It’s just that we didn’t see them arrive.

It’s estimated at least one turns up every year.

Potentially, they offer a unique sample of the mechanics of star and planetary formation across our galaxy.

But Astronomers are as yet uncertain as to what ‘Oumuamua actually is.

It looks like a rocky asteroid. It certainly didn’t flare up like a comet does when it passed very close by the Sun (37 million kilometres) last year.

But it also appears to be thickly coated by organic-carbon substances — probably generated by its long term exposure to raw interstellar radiation in the void between the stars. This could be insulating an icy core.

It’s also being seen as potential evidence for the theory of lithopanspermia — the transfer of microbial life between planets and stars through comets and asteroids. Such an object — crashing into our surface as a meteor — could have seeded the building blocks for life on Earth.

We haven’t sampled such an interstellar visitor, yet.

So it remains just an enticing idea.

‘Oumuamua itself isn’t going to hang around long. At its current speed, it will pass Jupiter in May and Saturn early next year.

It won’t be long until it has left our Solar System behind.

Meanwhile, astronomers are racing to find the next interstellar visitor. Or identify ones that have been snared by the Sun’s gravitational pull.

This involves backtracking orbits. Watching the skies in generally ignored directions. Analyzing the spectroscopy of known objects for variations in oxygen isotope ratios that indicate they are not made of the same stuff as the rest of our Solar System."

Clearly this is an ancient spaceship that's dead and uncontrollably locked in a death spiral through space. I'm sure all the "satellite launches" world wide the last month, many of them unannounced, had nothing to do with secret space probes with AI robots to identify it, and perhaps, attempt to dock with it before it gets out of range.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure if serious but we have as much chance of "docking" with Oumuamua as a guy in a wheelchair has of catching up with a train that left the station two hours ago. It's too far away and moving way faster than we can.

Our best hope of sampling one is improving detection of these things as they come in and having a probe ready to go when we find one with a trajectory that will bring it close to Earth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if serious but we have as much chance of "docking" with Oumuamua as a guy in a wheelchair has of catching up with a train that left the station two hours ago. It's too far away and moving way faster than we can.

Our best hope of sampling one is improving detection of these things as they come in and having a probe ready to go when we find one with a trajectory that will bring it close to Earth.

Oumuamua is moving around 85,000 mph and we have gotten satellites faster than that (Juno was over 100,000 mph). The bigger challenge would be slowing down enough to dock with it after you catch up to it. The Parker Solar Probe scheduled to launch this summer will really be hauling ass over 400,000 mph.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't really compare speeds like that, the probe will reach a higher speed because it has a far lower perihelion.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Mysterious interstellar object is spinning out of control

"It has sparked something of a revolution for astronomy.

It’s the fist known object to enter our Solar System from deep space.

Though the truth is there are more than likely thousands of similar interstellar asteroids captured by the gravitational pull of our Sun. It’s just that we didn’t see them arrive.

It’s estimated at least one turns up every year.

Potentially, they offer a unique sample of the mechanics of star and planetary formation across our galaxy.

But Astronomers are as yet uncertain as to what ‘Oumuamua actually is.

It looks like a rocky asteroid. It certainly didn’t flare up like a comet does when it passed very close by the Sun (37 million kilometres) last year.

But it also appears to be thickly coated by organic-carbon substances — probably generated by its long term exposure to raw interstellar radiation in the void between the stars. This could be insulating an icy core.

It’s also being seen as potential evidence for the theory of lithopanspermia — the transfer of microbial life between planets and stars through comets and asteroids. Such an object — crashing into our surface as a meteor — could have seeded the building blocks for life on Earth.

We haven’t sampled such an interstellar visitor, yet.

So it remains just an enticing idea.

‘Oumuamua itself isn’t going to hang around long. At its current speed, it will pass Jupiter in May and Saturn early next year.

It won’t be long until it has left our Solar System behind.

Meanwhile, astronomers are racing to find the next interstellar visitor. Or identify ones that have been snared by the Sun’s gravitational pull.

This involves backtracking orbits. Watching the skies in generally ignored directions. Analyzing the spectroscopy of known objects for variations in oxygen isotope ratios that indicate they are not made of the same stuff as the rest of our Solar System."

Clearly this is an ancient spaceship that's dead and uncontrollably locked in a death spiral through space. I'm sure all the "satellite launches" world wide the last month, many of them unannounced, had nothing to do with secret space probes with AI robots to identify it, and perhaps, attempt to dock with it before it gets out of range.
Build the wall

You have to go back

• 1Worf

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Build the wall

You have to go back

You couldn't pay me enough to go back to IslamCanada good sir. And we can't afford to wall off the northern border :/

I'm certainly serious about the tech.
Not crazy either as there is plenty of evidence to prove the existence of technologies that we aren't being told about.
I'll make a post about such technologies later, and in another thread so I don't shit this one up. If you want to educate yourself about the black project tech and how it works based on many intelligent minds hypothesizing, read up on Project Aurora. Countless sightings since the 90's and many high clearance whistle blowers since then. And this picture.
33.jpg
Knowing such things exist, and what they are seemingly capable of, you can bet your ass they 'could' at least go take a look at it with an unmanned drone.

All that said, I wasn't totally serious. However, a hell of a lot of people, including the press and multiple science publications world wide have suggested the same thing.
The suggestion of how it was formed in that article is a hypothesis. And just as likely as it being an ancient spaceship.

• 1Picard

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If they were looking at us now, that's what they should be doing.

i'll just copy pasta a post I just made to someone else suffering from hysterics in a diff thread

"lol literally the safest and most prosperous times the world has ever been in. The least amount of violence. Very few wars. Very little starvation. "

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i'll just copy pasta a post I just made to someone else suffering from hysterics in a diff thread

"lol literally the safest and most prosperous times the world has ever been in. The least amount of violence. Very few wars. Very little starvation. "

This is all true, although not sure what hysterics you think I'm going through. I'm saying they look at us and are just like "yeaaaahhhh, maybe give 'em another hundred years or so". We're not quite there yet.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

If aliens landed now, too many people would lose their shit. People shoot up other people because of religious or political differences. Can you imagine an alien race? Some fucko would try to assassinate one and start a damned war with a far more advanced civilization.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users