The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Hayabusa 2 going to drop a third rover on Ryugu. Think it also has a small impactor to fire at it and at some point during the mission is going to land for sample collection.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Thread was getting too low....

All the videos you have been posting lately look like this.
Screenshot_20181008-113348_Chrome.jpg

Why?
Wru content?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
28 years of distinguished service certainly doesn't count as a career cut tragically short, but it would be a shame if they can't get the backup reaction wheel working. I assume 'gyro' means reaction wheel because I own Kerbal Space Program and that makes me an expert.

It's a shame we don't have some kind of "above-atmosphere expeditionary service" that could fix it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
28 years of distinguished service certainly doesn't count as a career cut tragically short, but it would be a shame if they can't get the backup reaction wheel working. I assume 'gyro' means reaction wheel because I own Kerbal Space Program and that makes me an expert.

It's a shame we don't have some kind of "above-atmosphere expeditionary service" that could fix it.

Space X could grab it and bring it back, for a wild not crazy expensive publicity stunt.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh shit, a soyuz crew mission to the ISS had a booster failure. Both astronauts (an American and a Russian) are still alive and search and rescue got them quickly.
Gizmodo said:
Soyuz Space Crew Makes Emergency Landing After Terrifying Booster Failure
“The Soyuz capsule is returning to Earth via a ballistic descent, which is a sharper angle of landing compared to normal,” NASA tweeted. “Search and rescue teams are heading towards the expected touchdown location of the spacecraft and crew.”

They got video of the moment the booster failed and it looks like it was forceful enough to buffet the crew capsule. I can't even recall the last time a soyuz launch blew up, they're pretty cheats on Kerbal.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Hubble hobbled (sorry), Kepler on fumes and now 19 year old Chandra in safe mode, cause under investigation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I cant even imagine how terrifying it is to have the e-brake pulled on a fucking rocket launch. Lol

But prolly also fun as fuck

• 2Like