The Astronomy Thread

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree whole heatedly, but it's Tuesday and I'm trying to tint my realism with optimism.

It won't be cancelled prior to it's first launch. Best I'm hoping for is after the first launch.

There is an argument to be made for rocketry as a national security item, but that should be done from the ground up with the same reusable methods as blue origin and space x

If Nasa can get rid of the whole cargo aspect of space exploration, they will. They would rather spend $$ into kick ass satellites and incredible space missions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Musk and the Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa being sent to the moon.

i69myfmol1n11.jpg

"OK, who is the lightest rich guy we can send to the moon?"

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Musk and the Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa being sent to the moon.

i69myfmol1n11.jpg

"OK, who is the lightest rich guy we can send to the moon?"

They picked a doozy. Not only is the guy a legit billionaire----he's a fucking koolaid-inhaling BELIEVER, and even before all this he was already famous as a self-promoter right up there with Musk himself.

And the viral video he's produced with SpaceX, and the #dearMoon hashtag to go along with it, more or less hammers that point home: if this was a publicity stunt, it's an extraodinarily savvy one:

Word is that the global art contest to become one of the artists to get on the ship will require art/film/music to be produced specifically for the application and all entries will be public. Dude is playing this better than Musk.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Looks like we've sent the equivalent of a flip phone camera to an asteroid.

Dnsx6QmUwAA26zx.jpg

DnszMxtUUAAS_cD.jpg

Dns1vIhU8AEJeXX.jpg

For context, you can read this thread:

• 4Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
First time capturing space junk in space. Actual video.

Watch This Net Capture Orbital Space Debris for the First Time in History

he test was carried about by the RemoveDEBRIS satellite, an experimental space debris removal platform built by an international consortium of space companies and university research centers. There are tens of thousands of pieces of fast-moving space junk in orbit, which range from the centimeter-scale all the way to entire rocket stages. Some of these pieces are moving faster than a bullet and all of them pose a serious danger to other satellites and crewed capsules.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Opportunity, who has not phoned home in 100 days since the dust storm... imaged from orbit.

Dn9UX6xUwAA23lS.jpg

News |

• 4Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I think so, this is the tweet I got it from that I meant to include. Other tweets said it's from 64m above the surface, first photo w/ that camera on the rover. Not sure if this is during a hop or descent.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think so, this is the tweet I got it from that I meant to include. Other tweets said it's from 64m above the surface, first photo w/ that camera on the rover. Not sure if this is during a hop or descent.

Makes me wonder if there are a couple brothers somewhere in Japan who, while looking up at the night sky, have decided to become astronauts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users