The Astronomy Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If any number of problems happened and we take Musk at his word, mankind's exploration of space could have been set back decades

Makes you wonder what we're missing out on from ventures that did fail on the brink of life-changing success, or if we could have had existing developments decades or centuries earlier if circumstances had been more generous.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre

This is an interesting tweet. I don't know what the situation with SpaceX was at the time, but SpaceX is definitely a stand-out corporation that has advanced the state of space exploration beyond the typical coattail riding of world-wide technological improvement. If any number of problems happened and we take Musk at his word, mankind's exploration of space could have been set back decades

They had some launch attempts before that fail and it all costs money. That successful launch was theirr last one they had money for, after that they were going to be broke.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

This is an interesting tweet. I don't know what the situation with SpaceX was at the time, but SpaceX is definitely a stand-out corporation that has advanced the state of space exploration beyond the typical coattail riding of world-wide technological improvement. If any number of problems happened and we take Musk at his word, mankind's exploration of space could have been set back decades

Musk is known to bloviate exaggerate and goof around on twitter so im not sure how much people should really be taking him at his word

I have a feeling if that one failed theyd find the funding/backing for another try or three

• 1Dislike

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's said the same thing in the Waitbutwhy interviews a few years ago. Think he said SpaceX was already out of money but he pumped in some more of his own cash to make that last launch happen.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Musk is known to bloviate exaggerate and goof around on twitter so im not sure how much people should really be taking him at his word

I have a feeling if that one failed theyd find the funding/backing for another try or three
I agree but we really don't know. It's more of a thought exercise about the great man theory as it relates to scientific progress than anything.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

maybe it's just the change in scale vs the big rockets but that seems like a really violent launch. I have no idea what they were testing beyond the obvious.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
1564988270203.png

I wanna just reach out and touch it, it's so clear.

via:

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
maybe it's just the change in scale vs the big rockets but that seems like a really violent launch. I have no idea what they were testing beyond the obvious.

Maybe for testing they intentionally put it through a less-than-ideal launch to see how it reacts if things don't go perfectly?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

They accidentally contaminated the moon with the one organism that can probably survive there. So weird to think about. In some number of years, is the moon going to be fully propagated with tardigrades? It's just gonna be tardigrade world?

Yeah the tardigrades need to somehow get rehydrated, but hey all it would take is a couple and enough time so maybe some day?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Launch abort system needs to be able to accelerate away from a rocket that may itself still be accelerating, so if the rocket's accelerating at 3-4g you probably want to be able to get the crew module to something like 6g to get away quickly. If it can't out-accelerate the rocket (without the crew module weight) it would just remain sitting on top of it.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

They accidentally contaminated the moon with the one organism that can probably survive there. So weird to think about. In some number of years, is the moon going to be fully propagated with tardigrades? It's just gonna be tardigrade world?

Yeah the tardigrades need to somehow get rehydrated, but hey all it would take is a couple and enough time so maybe some day?
1 billion years from now the sentient descendants of dolphins land on the moon only to be greeted by an army of aggressive

id14727.png

Their response:

d28.gif

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I guess the G forces on that thing aren't so bad.

I think it's just the perspective of it being relatively small compared to the falcon or saturn, which are both around 5gs iirc.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre

Well, let's not get carried away here. Being able to not immediately die in space is not the same as thriving in space. They're not immortal or anything either, so after a period of time they can't revive or reproduce.

• 2Dislike
Reactions: 1 users