The Beer Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Solid milk stout, but could use a little more 'marshmallow' the mild sweetness and vanilla aroma was all.
Marshmallow Milk Stout | Garage Brewing Co.

Buy-Garage-Marshmallow-Milk-Stout-12oz-can-1.png

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
For anyone that home brews THIS is the secret to good cheap beer.

Current Promotions - Northern Brewer

IPA beer kits for 20$ a piece, we always stock up during these sales. Add-on costs for yeast, water, propane and we can brew 5 gallons for ~$30. Can't beat it.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
The northern brewer kits also make a great base to experiment with by adding various things like another pound of DME, more or different hops, or even a pound of white sugar during the boil to jack up the ABV. I've made some great strong IPAs from their kits

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The northern brewer kits also make a great base to experiment with by adding various things like another pound of DME, more or different hops, or even a pound of white sugar during the boil to jack up the ABV. I've made some great strong IPAs from their kits
Little FYI but Norther Brewer was bought by ABInBev a while ago. They're based out of MN (two retail stores and their main distro center), so it made some pretty big news here. There are a couple other big-name shops you can order from (some of the breweries have their own supply stores too... Bell's does for sure).

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Once you register on northern brewer and place an order, you'll get an occasional promotional email which will get you anywhere from 10-20% off and free shipping. I usually wait for one of those and then place a big order

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
What's the difference between a lambic and a wild ale?

Lambic is a wild ale specific to a Belgian region (Brussels), kind of like Champagne is a specific kind of sparkling wine. The wild yeast present in that region yield a distinct, pleasing result. Most people think of Lindeman's Framboise when they think of lambic, though fruited lambics fall into a different category than standard lambics. It's nearly impossible to find a standard lambic in the US, though Cantillion's occasionally makes it here. You can find plenty of fruited lambics and gueze (a blend of several vintages of aged lambic). BJCP categories 17D-F cover most of the details on lambics.

kudos

<Banned>
Lambic is a wild ale specific to a Belgian region (Brussels), kind of like Champagne is a specific kind of sparkling wine. The wild yeast present in that region yield a distinct, pleasing result. Most people think of Lindeman's Framboise when they think of lambic, though fruited lambics fall into a different category than standard lambics. It's nearly impossible to find a standard lambic in the US, though Cantillion's occasionally makes it here. You can find plenty of fruited lambics and gueze (a blend of several vintages of aged lambic). BJCP categories 17D-F cover most of the details on lambics.
Was supposed to be sort of a trick question. Wild ale is just a US lambic.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
How can you differentiate the taste profiles of a stout versus a porter?
Why is NE IPA an actual category?

Depends on the type of stout or porter, there's even variance within those styles (american vs english porter, irish dry vs oatmeal stout, etc). But at a high level, Kudos is right.

NE IPA isn't an officially judged category, kind of like West Coast IPA isn't an officially judged category. The categories are more broad. American IPA, American Pale, English IPA, etc. Though there are special distinctions within the IPA category, like Black IPA, Rye IPA, etc.
NE IPA is generally understood to be unfiltered (hazy), with most hops added after flameout (during whirlpool or dry hopping). They're supposed to taste "juicy". Alchemist Brewing in Vermont (of Heady Topper fame) was an early pusher of he style.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was supposed to be sort of a trick question. Wild ale is just a US lambic.

Wild ale describes anything spontaneously fermented (fermented by environmental yeast as opposed to adding a specifically cultured brewing yeast). So yeah, you could call an American wild ale as a "US lambic", kind of like you could call prosecco "Italian champagne". Though lambic (or champagne) fans would probably take issue with it.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Three of my beer buddies came by last night for our long-planned deep dive into the Bruery. Little bit of a rough morning, but a good time was had by all. There wasn't a stinker in the flight, everything was good in its own right, and we've just scratched the surface of what they have on the local shelves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Most recent deliciousness I had, limited, obv. "Trail of Totality" by Main and Mill, Festus Mo.
I was hesitant because a lot of times, they seem just a tad off point for their brews. I decided to give it a try because: eclipse fun, cool label, fun beer glasses.
It was very good, tart, blackberries and black raspberries. I need to go by the brewery to see if they have any remaining.

So...tell me...who else has a blackberry you would recommend?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Three of my beer buddies came by last night for our long-planned deep dive into the Bruery. Little bit of a rough morning, but a good time was had by all. There wasn't a stinker in the flight, everything was good in its own right, and we've just scratched the surface of what they have on the local shelves.

They're one of my favorite breweries around right now. Everything they make is awesome. I have to go to Orange County for business somewhat often and I stop by every time. Love the way you can build your own flights there for like $7.

So...tell me...who else has a blackberry you would recommend?

You looking for sours? Cascade makes a really good one. But it's pricey.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user