The Beer Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I enjoy both. When I'm back in Cincinnati they're usually the best you can find on tap with the exception of Two Hearted Ale.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think Gumballhead is actually pretty dang good.
I went the other way, I like Zombie Dust (and if it's on tap I'll try to get a glass), but something about Gumballhead just tasted off to me. I'm thinking the wheat/hop mix isn't something I care for, but a ton of other people love the beer. I've met the brewer at FFF a few times when he was at Surly, and so I want to try to support them. I see a wider distribution of WarPigs, so I end up ordering that when I can.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've been trying to find the Cigar City Cubano Style Espresso Brown Ale this year and am having no luck. It's delicious, it's seasonal, and I can't get my grubby hands on it this year here in CT. Infuriating!!!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've been trying to find the Cigar City Cubano Style Espresso Brown Ale this year and am having no luck. It's delicious, it's seasonal, and I can't get my grubby hands on it this year here in CT. Infuriating!!!
Check their page/social media to see if they've pulled back distribution?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I lived in Tampa for years. Cigar City is awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is one of my favorite coffee beers

It's hard to go wrong with any Modern Times.

I've been on a Belgian kick lately. This has been a staple.

item7265_575x575.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
As my New Years resolution, I've decided to try a new beer every time I hit the packy. This week is...

edit: This shit ain't bad!

IMG_20210128_175659.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
had a beer tasting last week and a friend brought a 2014 bourbon county. All I can say is wow - it was liquid dark chocolate.

missing from the pic is a 2016 Firestone Walker Sucaba (also insanely good)
1611876464781.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Anyone like Gnarley Barley's Jucifer IPA? It's my go to, I have no idea how long it's been around, but it's just finally available in my area and everywhere has it. Delicious.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I just can't get into chocolate stouts. I don't enjoy many stouts at all, but add the chocolate and I'm not going to like it. I've even made stouts, varied the amount of chocolate, changed the formula, blah blah blah. Nah, give me an ipa or a brown ale instead.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I can appreciate stouts for what they are, but have to drink them as a “dessert” or with light appetizers. They’re like a damn meal all by themselves.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I can appreciate stouts for what they are, but have to drink them as a “dessert” or with light appetizers. They’re like a damn meal all by themselves.
Yeah, especially as you get to those "pastry stouts". The Sam Smith one isn't as bad, but some of them are just sugar bombs.
I love this beer: Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle - Lupulin Brewing Company - Untappd
but MAJOR sugar overload.

Honestly, the GI Bourbon Counties aren't normally sugar bombs and are super balanced despite being ~15%. They're great examples of the heavy stouts without the extra sugar.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've found myself in a beer rut lately. I like what I like and I find it hard to try new beers when there are literally hundreds of them in the beer shop. So I've been bringing my wife with me on my weekly runs to the local beer shop for the last several weeks. She doesn't drink beer and knows nothing about it, so I have her pick out something new for me to try based on the label.

I'm enjoying trying new things, but there are A LOT of mediocre beers out there. These are the last couple she picked:

campfirevan.png

Monument Campfire Series Vanilla Porter. Not very much vanilla flavor. I've had much better, such as Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.

nordic jam.jpeg

Two Pitchers Brewering (never heard of them till now) Nordic Jam. This is interesting because it has the fruit flavor of a sour (especially elderberry), but it isn't sour at all. It would be a decent summer beer to drink by the pool.

fuggly sweater.png

Ithaca Beer Fuggly Sweater. Just a really generic Christmas seasonal. I had a six pack of Troeg's Mad Elf in the fridge at the same time, and I had to force myself to drink this. Not bad, but not something I'd take over Mad Elf.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've found myself in a beer rut lately. I like what I like and I find it hard to try new beers when there are literally hundreds of them in the beer shop. So I've been bringing my wife with me on my weekly runs to the local beer shop for the last several weeks. She doesn't drink beer and knows nothing about it, so I have her pick out something new for me to try based on the label.

I'm enjoying trying new things, but there are A LOT of mediocre beers out there. These are the last couple she picked:

View attachment 336642
Monument Campfire Series Vanilla Porter. Not very much vanilla flavor. I've had much better, such as Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.

View attachment 336644
Two Pitchers Brewering (never heard of them till now) Nordic Jam. This is interesting because it has the fruit flavor of a sour (especially elderberry), but it isn't sour at all. It would be a decent summer beer to drink by the pool.

View attachment 336645
Ithaca Beer Fuggly Sweater. Just a really generic Christmas seasonal. I had a six pack of Troeg's Mad Elf in the fridge at the same time, and I had to force myself to drink this. Not bad, but not something I'd take over Mad Elf.

What region are you in?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Any beer place with a decent variety of craft brews has a guy who orders it that likely knows what they buy and why. I suggest striking up a conversation with staff at your favorite place and seeing what they recommend. The best places around here (NJ outside Philly) run instagram pages where they post things as they get them. There are certain breweries' beers that are literally gone in less than an hour from the post going up, usually even after the store imposes a limit (4, 2, or sometimes even just 1 beer each)