The Beer Thread

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Well... I think it's happened to me. I knew it was coming. I'm over craft beer.

It's gotten to the point where I only want one of three products:

1. A slightly hoppy amber. I'm gravitating towards Innis & Gunn's Oak Aged IPA lately, but even Sam Adams Boston Lager will do in a pinch.
2. An extremely light and quaffable lager, or a slightly bitter/floral craft. Honestly, these days I generally just grab a case of Corona. Feels like I'm 19 again - time is a flat circle.
3. Interesting saisons/farmhouse ales.

My days of of searching out big bitter IPAs, Imperial stouts, yeasty belgians and whatever else are over. The same thing happened to me with whiskey, and the only thing I'll drink now is W.L. Weller.

I think I'm just getting old.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
We decided to take a trip up to Santa Rosa today, and I grabbed myself a case of Pliny. The best part was the price of it. Getting it at the local liquor store or at Whole Foods, they cost me about $8.50 each. At the brewery it was only $5.25. So yeah, I am pretty stoked

opiate82

Bronze Squire
We decided to take a trip up to Santa Rosa today, and I grabbed myself a case of Pliny. The best part was the price of it. Getting it at the local liquor store or at Whole Foods, they cost me about $8.50 each. At the brewery it was only $5.25. So yeah, I am pretty stoked
I'm jelly!

I love going there, picking up a "1 sampler of ever beer we have on tap" and a case of Pliny for the road. One of these days I'd love to try some PTY but no way I'm waiting in line for hours at the brewpub to get it. Hopefully someone around here will have a line on a bar that will be tapping a keg of it instead when I do make it down for the release.

Also if the do the Wild Friendship Blend again I'm pretty sure I'm pulling out all the stops to attend that tasting.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, the flight deal is the way to go at Russian River. I'm due for another visit there. The food there is almost as good as the beer too.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
We were actually planning on having lunch there, but at 11:30 the wait for us would have been close to an hour.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well... I think it's happened to me. I knew it was coming. I'm over craft beer.

It's gotten to the point where I only want one of three products:

1. A slightly hoppy amber. I'm gravitating towards Innis & Gunn's Oak Aged IPA lately, but even Sam Adams Boston Lager will do in a pinch.
2. An extremely light and quaffable lager, or a slightly bitter/floral craft. Honestly, these days I generally just grab a case of Corona. Feels like I'm 19 again - time is a flat circle.
3. Interesting saisons/farmhouse ales.

My days of of searching out big bitter IPAs, Imperial stouts, yeasty belgians and whatever else are over. The same thing happened to me with whiskey, and the only thing I'll drink now is W.L. Weller.

I think I'm just getting old.
As I get older, the more I settle into a few favorites. I used to grab a different 6 pack every time I went to the store, but I was usually disappointed more often than not. At this point in my life, there's about 4-5 beers that I go to 95% of the time when I'm buying beer at the store. I'll still be adventurous at a bar and try something new, but at that point I'm only committed to 1 glass, not an entire 4 or 6 pack in the case that I don't really care much for it.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I went to one of the Dogfish Head Ale Houses last week while down in Maryland for work, and had an interesting black & tan draft: chicory stout + 90 min IPA. I'm not a fan of the chicory flavor, but against the hops, it was very interesting. I had plans to get a few different drafts, but couldn't resist the urge to order another B&T. Great stuff.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I picked up a couple Cubano-Style Espresso Dark Ale from Cigar City. Anyone had that? Opinions?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No but mail me some. When I was in Tampa last summer I must have brought like 12 six packs of various stuff home with me from cigar city.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
LjZkRx3.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Some Crooked Stave stuff has started trickling into my market. Pretty tasty stuff. I've had a couple of versions of the Progenitor now and both would be very approachable to someone just starting to get into sours/wild fermented beers. All those classic characteristics are there but not overly heavy-handed. At least not yet, some aging might accentuate those brett characteristics.

I've liked what I've had from CS so far and am excited to try some more of their offerings.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Took a trip down to the Central Coast this past weekend. Made it to Firestone Walker and a little brewery called Libertine in Morro Bay. Lot of really good sours. Apparently they're growing pretty rapidly and moving to a new spot in San Luis Obispo.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Some Crooked Stave stuff has started trickling into my market. Pretty tasty stuff. I've had a couple of versions of the Progenitor now and both would be very approachable to someone just starting to get into sours/wild fermented beers. All those classic characteristics are there but not overly heavy-handed. At least not yet, some aging might accentuate those brett characteristics.

I've liked what I've had from CS so far and am excited to try some more of their offerings.
Just got my shipment from my buddy in denver... so I'm looking forward to it. I'll post some of them after I try them. First was theFlor de'Leesand it was really damn good.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
Took a trip down to the Central Coast this past weekend. Made it to Firestone Walker and a little brewery called Libertine in Morro Bay. Lot of really good sours. Apparently they're growing pretty rapidly and moving to a new spot in San Luis Obispo.
My in-law's live in Atascadero, between SLO and Paso Robles. We end up at Firestone quite a lot (usually Barrelworks too since that's on our way) - Libertine's is usually on the short list as well, great beers. Other non-wine drinking options I might recommend if you visit the area again is:

- Dunbar's in Santa Margarita (their own brewed stuff is hit or miss, but they usually have some decent guest taps)
- Barrel House in Paso Robles (I really like their Curly Wolf Imperial Maple Stout, but they've got some decent stuff all around)
- Molly Pitcher in Atascadero (they're a younger brewery, but their stuff is decent enough and they also typically have some good guest taps)
- Bristol's Cider House in Atascadero (off shoot of a local winery; they do a few bourbon barrel aged ciders, a dry hopped cider, and some other goodies - definitely not your standard 'hard cider' stuff)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think I've been to Barrel House. I have a friend who lives there so he's taken me to a couple choice spots. I'm usually not very sober.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
One of my local BevMo's near my office had Praire Bomb! and Victory's Storm King on the shelves today. It's going to be a good couple weeks.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
I think I've been to Barrel House. I have a friend who lives there so he's taken me to a couple choice spots. I'm usually not very sober.
With all the wineries, Firestone, and not much else to do in the area, it's almost required to be un-sober when in that part of the central coast. If you ever find yourself going back that way for any of the Firestone releases, let me know - I usually drive up for about half of 'em.