The Beer Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I tried a Summer Shandy the other day on tap and that is going to be my beverage of choice this summer, that shit is excellent.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A good snakebite is still my summer 'beer' of choice. Spaten lager + Samuel Smith Organic cider.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I saw the Magic Hat summer pack and picked it up. It featured magic hat, and IPA, a hibiscus beer, and an elderberry beer. I FUCKING LOVE hibiscus and elderberry, so even though I don't go in too much on the fruity beers I was like shit yeah. Holy crap they were terrible. The elderberry was terrible, but the hibiscus was basically undrinkable. Terrible.

Holy crap they were terrible. The elderberry was terrible, but the hibiscus was basically undrinkable. Terrible.
Magic Hat in general, I think, has benefited greatly from their super cool looking logo/boxes. Because their beer tastes like piss.

One thing I will say though is that #9 and Sam Adams Boston Lager were what drove me away from big brand beer-water.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I'm not a fan of magic hat in general, but I did like their winter variety pack. #9 makes a nice cocktail:

1 oz bourbon
1/4 oz peach schnapps
5 oz #9

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I drank Miller Lite for the first time in about a year this past weekend... never again.

I'm no beer snob but man I just can't drink it anymore.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Takes me 3 or 4 IPAs to get around to being able to drink coors light (my in-laws drink of choice).

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If I'm just trying to save money while being social at a bar I'll usually drink Miller Lite because of that awesome vortex bottle; it really increases the speed of refreshment.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Speaking of horrible beers.....When they ran out of ACE Pumpkin last fall I was asking the beer guy if they had anything else that was as good as ACE and he told me to buy this shit. It tasted like a skunk that crawled out of the ass of another skunk. Now it just sits in my closet and we use it for penalty drinks.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3P3QU34j9r_3P4VnZD00SR7jIrW3vuyp6oSvSX4sC7xVkf7Qplg.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
(Not my picture)

Delicious beer. If you like extremely dry, extremely hoppy IPAs you have to give this one a shot. I've always thought Great Lake's Commodore Perry was my favorite IPA but this one may top it. It tastes very similar to their normal IPA but with just a tad more hoppiness and dryness to it. After you drink a few you will be (a) pretty heavily buzzed (b) very thirsty.

I hope the brew is here to stay and not a seasonal.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
(Not my picture)

Delicious beer. If you like extremely dry, extremely hoppy IPAs you have to give this one a shot. I've always thought Great Lake's Commodore Perry was my favorite IPA but this one may top it. It tastes very similar to their normal IPA but with just a tad more hoppiness and dryness to it. After you drink a few you will be (a) pretty heavily buzzed (b) very thirsty.

I hope the brew is here to stay and not a seasonal.
I really dig Great Lakes. Have you tried Cane and Ebel from Two Brothers? Or Lenny's RIPA from Schmaltz Brewing (He'Brew).

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
I saw a few posts on people not liking magic hat #9 (I never liked their beers, with that said a tasting at their brewery and a product that travels across country can differ significantly)

Here is another reason to hate them

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/22/ma...over-its-logo/

rrr_img_26364.png

Not that I'm a fan ofwest sixth brewingnor have I ever tasted their beers (I've never heard of a good beer from Kentucky. The south isnt known for craft beers at all)

But ..... this shit is ridiculous. Proposing a court battle over a generic font and astarI have seen on maps all my life is really pushing it....

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, no.

The distributor even told West 6th that they were too similar YEARS ago. Can you imagine if someone did something similar to Coke or Pepsi? I'm not often going to side with magic hat (because they're beer is shitty, especially #9), but they aren't in the wrong on this. The more you read about it (especially the reddit AMA from the west 6th dude) the less it seems like it was Magic hat oppressing the little guy and more a "strategy" West Sixth employed to get some publicity.

edit: as far as the south and beer... Ashville NC (spelling, I know, fuckoff) is becoming the east-coastish mecca of beer with the larger craft breweries expanding there and (one of my favorites) Cigar City from FL is pretty damn good with Hunapa and Jai-Lai. Though JaiLai is basically a clone of Furious, I can dig that for the market. Next time I'm down there for an extended period I think I'm just gonna get a keg of Jai-Lai.

Tral_sl

shitlord
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Shit is awesome. There's also country boys in Lexington that make some great shit.
Confirmed, had it on tap. Good shit.

Getting down to the last few bottles of my "cellar" before I move on Wednesday. Polishing off my 120 minute and bitches brew this weekend. I've got a KBS that I might try to just age for a year+ until I get back from overseas.