The Beer Thread

Tea_sl

shitlord
In terms of fruit flavors, now I'm curious if a grenadine flavored beer could be pulled. Love that shit in coke, wonder if it translates.
Grenadine is basically just concentrated pomegranate juice with additions to taste. I'm sure I've seen a pomegranate beer before somewhere. I'd make one myself, but I don't go in for the fruit beers too much.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
does Sam Adams give anyone else heartburn?
No, but several members of my family have bad allergic reactions to budweiser products, rashes, hives, swelling, etc. They must do something in the brewing of their beers that not many other companies do. Bud/bud light is the only beers that do this to my dad, my uncle, and a few of my cousins(but not me). Possibly something to do with budweiser being brewed with a large amount of rice maybe...no clue really what causes it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I don't understand the dislike for grapefruit flavored beer. Sure, if you don't like grapefruit juice then you probably won't like it, but there are plenty of beers with flavors like orange and lime and no one has a problem with them. It seems like grapefruit is a logical extension of that. I'd like to try it some time.
Oh for me it's specifically grapefruit. I'm not going to pour other juices INTO my beer, but if it's brewed with it, then sure (beercocktails or whatever just don't seem to work out). I like the hopflavors that come across as citrus (and grapefruit), but that's because of the bitterness with it as well.

quse

the pupe
I'm pretty sure the Stiegl is beer mixed with fruit sodas. The ABV on the grapefruit flavor is like 2.5%, so it's pretty much just a delicious carbonated drink.

Something like Shiners Ruby Redbird is brewed with the fruit juices, I think. The Redbird is a pretty good summer beer; it's grapefruity but doesn't actually taste like grapefruit (to me, at least).

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't understand the dislike for grapefruit flavored beer. Sure, if you don't like grapefruit juice then you probably won't like it, but there are plenty of beers with flavors like orange and lime and no one has a problem with them. It seems like grapefruit is a logical extension of that. I'd like to try it some time.
Only thing I can think of that has hints of fruit is Three Philosophers, which has some cherry undertones to it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Only thing I can think of that has hints of fruit is Three Philosophers, which has some cherry undertones to it.
There are tons of beers with fruit flavors ranging from subtle hints to dominating taste. However, I'm not even talking about the beers that have undertones of fruit flavor in their flavor profile; rather, I'm talking about fruit-flavored beers. For example, there is a bar in my area that serves orange, raspberry, blueberry, and peach beers, all of which taste pretty good. I don't see why a grapefruit variety would be any different.

I know a lot of people look down on fruit-flavored beers, but I think they have their place and I enjoy them occasionally, although they tend to be so sweet that I can't drink many of them in a sitting.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I enjoy a few fruit flavored beers, though I find that when it's any sort of citrus fruit I prefer it to be more of an undertone than out in front flavor. The threshold for when the flavor crosses over from delicious to blah is much lower than it is with beers flavored with things like apple, strawberry, or certain types of grapes.

Speaking of apple beers, I've been sampling a few of the new ones that have been cropping up lately, but none of them have been able to tear me away from Unibroue's Ephemere Apple. The balance between the "apple" and the "beer" is, for me, perfect. It doesn't cross over into cider country the way a lot of apple beers do. Lot's of carb and light on the palate.

5861429828_1da598afc6_z.jpg

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of beer with fruits. I have been seeing this Shandy stuff all over the place lately. Apparently it is beer made with lemonade? Has anyone tried it? To me it sounds just awful, and I can't really wrap my head around it.

I am a huge fan of IPA's as well as darker beers and stouts. I consider my taste in beers to be pretty wide open, but I have a hard time with the thought of this.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Speaking of beer with fruits. I have been seeing this Shandy stuff all over the place lately. Apparently it is beer made with lemonade? Has anyone tried it? To me it sounds just awful, and I can't really wrap my head around it.

I am a huge fan of IPA's as well as darker beers and stouts. I consider my taste in beers to be pretty wide open, but I have a hard time with the thought of this.
If you like IPAs and stouts you'll probably hate a shandy. I know a few people here have mentioned trying Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and hated it. I enjoy it, but I consider it more like a Mike's Hard Lemonade than I do a real beer. Go into it with that frame of mind and you might enjoy it. I don't drink a shandy with the expectation that it will taste like a nice, hoppy, full-flavored beer. I drink it because I want something sweet, cold, and refreshing on a hot summer day.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, I keep a 6er of Shandy in the fridge to swig when I'm sweating my ass off on the deck, grilling in the summertime. Perfect beer for something like that. Light, refreshing, and better tasting than a typical light beer.

It's not something I would ever go into a bar and order, or drink all day long, but it's great when you're doing something that actually makes you thirsty for a short period of time.

just got home with a bomber of (not my photo):

adGLASS.jpg

i love pretty things, native to MA. shown is American Darling Lager

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are tons of beers with fruit flavors ranging from subtle hints to dominating taste. However, I'm not even talking about the beers that have undertones of fruit flavor in their flavor profile; rather, I'm talking about fruit-flavored beers. For example, there is a bar in my area that serves orange, raspberry, blueberry, and peach beers, all of which taste pretty good. I don't see why a grapefruit variety would be any different.

I know a lot of people look down on fruit-flavored beers, but I think they have their place and I enjoy them occasionally, although they tend to be so sweet that I can't drink many of them in a sitting.
They taste like soda to me... which isn't what I'm looking for from my beer lol.

kudos

<Banned>
I enjoy a few fruit flavored beers, though I find that when it's any sort of citrus fruit I prefer it to be more of an undertone than out in front flavor. The threshold for when the flavor crosses over from delicious to blah is much lower than it is with beers flavored with things like apple, strawberry, or certain types of grapes.

Speaking of apple beers, I've been sampling a few of the new ones that have been cropping up lately, but none of them have been able to tear me away from Unibroue's Ephemere Apple. The balance between the "apple" and the "beer" is, for me, perfect. It doesn't cross over into cider country the way a lot of apple beers do. Lot's of carb and light on the palate.

5861429828_1da598afc6_z.jpg
The great thing about this beer is that the initial taste is pure ale but the aftertaste of apple smacks you in the face. I tried to get my gf to like it because she likes ciders and it wasn't happening.

Just grabbed 2 of these today.

rrr_img_38384.jpg

Next time I'm down there for an extended period I think I'm just gonna get a keg of Jai-Lai.
You can't anymore. They don't give kegs out to regular customers anymore. They have too much demand they said. You can get all the 64oz growlers you want though.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The great thing about this beer is that the initial taste is pure ale but the aftertaste of apple smacks you in the face. I tried to get my gf to like it because she likes ciders and it wasn't happening.
I can completely understand why someone who is really into ciders wouldn't be that crazy about it. If you want a cider, there are better choices out there that will give you what you're looking for (like Angry Orchard Crisp Apple, which is what I go for when I really want that). When I'm in a mood for an apple beer though, I still want it to be a beer and not something clearly made to pull in the cider crowd (such as Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat).

kudos

<Banned>
I can't comment on the "they are shitty to their employees" comment, maybe you can link something that you have read? When I visited the brewery I didn't get that impression but also it's not like they are going to shit on their employer right then and there.
http://www.nwlaborpress.org/2011/0617/6-17-11IBT.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comment...ployment_page/

http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comment...in_the_liquor/

Also, their CEO is an enormous asshole. There was an interview with him a couple years that just blew my mind about what a dick he was. He was talking shit about former employees, about rival breweries in the state, about head brewers at other breweries out of state-basically as non-craft beer as you can be.

Their spirits suck too but I must begrudgingly admit their blue cheese is excellent. Still, I've been boycotting their products for quite a few years now though so I can survive without the cheese, there are plenty of alternatives. As for the whiskey, its best usage is cleaning the floor.
http://aleheads.com/2013/06/17/we-do...an/#more-17219

Fuck Rogue.

When I'm in a mood for an apple beer though, I still want it to be a beer and not something clearly made to pull in the cider crowd (such as Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat).
Or Redd's.

Picked up a bottle of this on my hunt for the banana beer:

rrr_img_7032.jpg

Haven't opened it yet, mainly because it's 2PM, a massive bottle and 9.2% ABV. Looking forward to dinner!
What are your thoughts on that? I had it a few months ago and didn't like it at all. The alcohol taste was so overpowering.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You can't anymore. They don't give kegs out to regular customers anymore. They have too much demand they said. You can get all the 64oz growlers you want though.
Ah, they had a keg at the super-liquor store in Ft. Myers, I figured it'd still be available.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Redd's is now my go to beverage of choice, it doesn't seem as sweet as ACE so it's easier for me to drink. I like ShockTop's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat as well but I think the Raspberry Weiss is much better.

quse

the pupe
What are your thoughts on that? I had it a few months ago and didn't like it at all. The alcohol taste was so overpowering.
It was okay, I'm not sure I would buy it again though. The alcohol taste was really, really strong to me as well but I sort of expected it be. Once I got past the alcohol taste (aka 3/4 through the first glass), I thought the beer was pretty tasty.

Oh man, I need that Clown Shoes beer.

kudos

<Banned>
Was a good day to live in Florida. Two releases in one day. Zhukov was gone by 9pm. Publix has buy 2 get 1 free on Fat Tire for the release too. Found the last 3 on my lunch break at work.

rrr_img_38657.jpg