The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Pro generally seems to hit 1800p30 checkerboard, so for a multiplat of that sort there's absolutely zero chance of the Xbone X hitting 2160p30 native. It'll be 2160p checkerboard with higher res shadows or some other PC graphics option(s) turned on.

Maybe, we'll see. The Pro has a couple dozen native 4k games, I don't see why the X won't do better. You gotta remember that the games still have to run on the OG Xbone also.

The Division is running in native 4k, with improved shadows/reflections on the Pro and it's mult-plat, btw. You don't think the X can do at least that with a significant hardware advantage?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So the X will be a cool option 2 years from now when its not retardedly expensive for what it is. By that time I think Sony answers, but they probably don't need to as their system is already in homes across the world and their exclusives shit all over MS's.

I wish there was a reason to own this. 4k is fucking retarded at the size these tv's are anyways. Plz make affordable REAL 4k projectors thanks.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So the X will be a cool option 2 years from now when its not retardedly expensive for what it is. By that time I think Sony answers, but they probably don't need to as their system is already in homes across the world and their exclusives shit all over MS's.

I wish there was a reason to own this. 4k is fucking retarded at the size these tv's are anyways. Plz make affordable REAL 4k projectors thanks.
~2-3 years from now we will be onto the next gen with PS5 and Xbox4k

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Division is running in native 4k, with improved shadows/reflections on the Pro and it's mult-plat, btw. You don't think the X can do at least that with a significant hardware advantage?
The first Pro patch for the Division was just a 4K UI rendered over a 1080p upscaled game. The second Pro patch made the whole thing render at 4K, but what they meant by "4K" was really 1800p (possibly 2160p, but that's pretty unlikely) checkerboard. Either way, it's definitely not native 4K unless there was a miracle patch after 1.6.

I still maintain that both Sony and MS need to shut the fuck up about 4K, even more so now that 4K has become a buzzword that can mean anything from 1440p checkerboard to 2160p native. 1080p60(ish) is far more attainable, especially for the Xbone X.

spronk

FPS noob
for some bizarre reason PSVR refurbished units are $199 at gamestop
http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-vr-gamestop-premium-refurbished/138248

IT IS refurbished aka used by some filthy gamer, and I think its online only - dunno if they sell units in store. Might be a price error, might not be - trade in value dropped to $75 . Will you get a unit filled with eye-herpes bacteria? Who knows?

mass effect andromeda used ps4 is also $15 ($13.50 pur pro), can pick up in store
http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/mass-effect-andromeda/136497

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I might bite at 199 if it was an actual Sony refurb. I don't think I can with Gamestop.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
You do realize that it's going to work on every game on the console going forward, right? Any anyone who has played the same game on an Xbone and a Pro can tell you the difference absolutely is massive, so it will be an even bigger difference with the X.

And based on the usual Steam survey, the average PC gamer is using a shit computer that can't compete either in power, resolution, or price with the X. And even if you have a beast of a rig you aren't going 4k in most games anyway.

Finally, in the U.S. the Xbone and PS4 are very close in sales and between the people who just prefer the ecosystem, people who don't want to fuck with a PC and people who just want the most powerful console I bet it sells pretty well here.

When RDR or the Witcher hits the thing in glorious 4k I have a feeling a lot of opinions about the system will change. I'm not fully on board yet, but having had first hand experience with the Pro has my interest PeAkEd for sure.

In the end its just old games in a higher resolution, at a premium price.

I'm aware the average steam user has a shitbox, are you aware how many poor fucks use steam? Their averages are not representative. The global average income is something like 10k/yearly, do you live off 800$ a month?

As for your argument about people not wanting to fuck with PC's, I understand there are a lot of stupid people, I just don't use them as an example.

When it comes to playing games in 4k the PC will always be superior. When it comes to improving old games through new tech, the PC is also superior since you can screw around with the ini and mods and whatnot.

Consoles are simply not winning the GFX battle, ever. I'll buy a console based on exclusive games, portability, but sure as heck not because I expect it to outperform a PC.

You gotta remember that the games still have to run on the OG Xbone also.

That is a terrible argument to make pro-console.

If (when) the X fails they'll continue to design games for their best selling platform, so you'll end up with games designed for a years-old console, with some small gfx tweaks.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's going to be a consumer based specific decision, but the Xbox One X makes literally no sense to purchase if you are a computer guru with a good gaming rig. All the games will be playable on PC (Exclusives) and I can either stream those with a different solution than Steam Link, or play on PC, or hook my PC into my home entertainment system. Let's be real. Playstation has the lock on ALL the good games worth talking about for the next year. Halo 5 and GoW4 were bombs. Sony has a plethora of content that you CANNOT play on the PC for some, and a better overall, less confused UI service.

The problem Microsoft has right now is they may have a great hardware console coming out when compared with price points to a gaming rig that can run things in 4K, but there are hardly ANY DECENT games. So for me, the only highlight of owning one would be to have a 4k player once I upgrade my set and then buy the games on PC and stream is through the Xbox One X in native 4k.

The Xbox One is a horrible piece of hardware with the clunkiest UI I have ever used. They really need to come up with something better than "Here is the teraflops". They need to focus on games, exclusives that matter, and that's hard to do for folks that DO have gaming PC's and they are cross sectioning off their exclusives. And honestly, after the X1, they have a HUGE reputation hit to repair from a PR perspective.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i may not even upgrade to an xbox one X unless there is a fantastic trade in deal, the more i think about it the more i think about how there really aren't any games i would play on xbox one X and for multiplayer the PS4 community is still far superior.

PC ports of their games do still tend to be shitty for a while though. Only the last patch of FH3 made the PC version nice, before that it was apparently suffering micro stutters and all kinds of issues on PC. I did switch my FH3 to 100% PC when the new DLC (Hot Wheels) came out, no problems at all. GOW4 gets a lot of complaints about the shitty PC port and almost no one in multiplayer (i think pc and console are on different servers since otherwise it would be kbm vs controller).

So yeah, I think the hole Microsoft has dug themselves into by not grooming and building great first party game studios is going to keep biting them hard in the ass, which is unfortunate because that path leads down to Xbox being shut down and if you think Sony is lazy now, wait until they have no competition at all.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
They need to focus on games, exclusives that matter, and that's hard to do for folks that DO have gaming PC's and they are cross sectioning off their exclusives. And honestly, after the X1, they have a HUGE reputation hit to repair from a PR perspective.

That's what they did though! Didn't you see the MS press conference?

I mean here is an EXCLUSIVE 3 minute video showing the only press conference that made a point out of having EXCLUSIVE games. I mean. EXCLUSIVE

Granted for the vast majority (all of them?) they were timed exclusives, only console exclusive and on PC too or just plain bad looking. But... EXCLUSIVE

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
In the end its just old games in a higher resolution, at a premium price.

I'm aware the average steam user has a shitbox, are you aware how many poor fucks use steam? Their averages are not representative. The global average income is something like 10k/yearly, do you live off 800$ a month
?

As for your argument about people not wanting to fuck with PC's, I understand there are a lot of stupid people, I just don't use them as an example.

When it comes to playing games in 4k the PC will always be superior. When it comes to improving old games through new tech, the PC is also superior since you can screw around with the ini and mods and whatnot.

Consoles are simply not winning the GFX battle, ever. I'll buy a console based on exclusive games, portability, but sure as heck not because I expect it to outperform a PC.

That is a terrible argument to make pro-console.

If (when) the X fails they'll continue to design games for their best selling platform, so you'll end up with games designed for a years-old console, with some small gfx tweaks.

1) The most graphically intense games on the PC are console ports with higher resolution/graphics...how is that different?

2) The Steam survey is accurate. The average gamer has a shit PC, and the amount of PC gamers who have machines that can play at 4K (even checkerboard) are minuscule. I bet 95% of any gaming enthusiast site can't play games in 4K...including here.

3) People who don't want to fuck with a PC are stupid? Are you 12? Is this Voodoo Extreme circa 1998?

4) Based on your comment on designing games for the Xbone when the fails, you clearly have no idea how these things work. The Xbone and X are the same platform. Regardless of how well the X does or doesn't do, the games will be designed on the OG Xbone anyway, just like what happens with the Pro. No one designs games for the Pro, they design them for the PS4 and add features to the Pro. So in your doomsday scenario the X will get games exactly the same way the Pro does.

5) See the two posts below you for what actual arguments against buying the X look like.

• 3Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
1) witcher 3 a console port? Crysis 3 a console port? GTAV a console port?

2) the average isn't relevant

3) i think it is 1998, if you trying to claim setting up a PC game is hard

4) "So in your doomsday scenario the X will get games exactly the same way the Pro does."

Thats awesome!

5) people are entitled to their own reasons, there are so many to pick from we can't all agree I guess

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
1) witcher 3 a console port? Crysis 3 a console port? GTAV a console port?

Those actually prove Rafterman's point. That even these games were least common denominated developed (X1) with features added for better hardware to take advantage of that hardware. (Similar to how it will work with the PS4 > PS Pro, and X1 to X1X that Rafterman described). Witcher 3 on launch was a straight up port on PC with limited graphical improvements which needed to be patched in later. (I think all that happened quickly, within a month, but it still took development time and patched after the fact for the PC version to look as good as it does now. Remember with W3 was locked at 30 FPS on PC at launch?)

The same with Crysis 3, and the only reason you saw GTA 5 on PC was because Rockstar released a definitive edition to take advantage of the X1 and PS4 hardware increase, and it was easy to take another 6 months to boost that more for PC and hit a target market that they thought would be financially beneficial to them with low effort to construct. But don't forget that the PC version came out a year and 6 months after the initial launch.

4) "So in your doomsday scenario the X will get games exactly the same way the Pro does."

Well, he's right. MS is setting this up as if you own the X1, X1 Slim, or Xbox 1 X, the games launched will play on all those systems. That means developers will develop for the X1 and patch in features/additions etc to take advantage of the Xbox One X either during, or after the fact. But the likelihood of you seeing developers target specifically the Xbox One X, is slim to none because Microsoft doesn't want that message delivered. They want the message delivered that you can play all these games regardless of if you have an Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, or a PC running windows - all tied into their MS Store. Just like you won't see titles ONLY for the PS Pro. There will never be a game that only runs on the PS Pro and not the PS4. And I would bet the same will happen when Sony announces their next gen.

This seems to be the direction they are all going.

• 3Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
And I would bet the same will happen when Sony announces their next gen.

This seems to be the direction they are all going.
Nah, PS5 games won't require to be played on a PS4. They have to have a cutoff every so often so the old system doesnt cause games to be gimped too much.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Well, he's right. MS is setting this up as if you own the X1, X1 Slim, or Xbox 1 X, the games launched will play on all those systems. That means developers will develop for the X1 and patch in features/additions etc to take advantage of the Xbox One X either during, or after the fact.

I understand what you are saying, and while those games are great from a producers perspective, they suck from a gamers perspective.

Actually making games that make the best use of the best tech available would make them superior. You can't design a game to run on a gameboy and make it look like a top end title on other platforms, no matter how many features you patch in.

I feel the desire to make multi-platform games is lowering the potential for really great games. HZD wouldn't look nearly as good if it was designed for older platforms.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I understand what you are saying, and while those games are great from a producers perspective, they suck from a gamers perspective.

Actually making games that make the best use of the best tech available would make them superior. You can't design a game to run on a gameboy and make it look like a top end title on other platforms, no matter how many features you patch in.

I feel the desire to make multi-platform games is lowering the potential for really great games. HZD wouldn't look nearly as good if it was designed for older platforms.

I agree with you whole heartedly. Problem is, publishers will just continue to patch games for higher end consoles.

With that said, from what I hear, the PS4 > PS Pro patches for games like Horizon and others are amazing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Horizon really looks unbelievable on my 4k with HDR. I'm sure it looks good on the regular PS4 as well. It's the best looking game I've ever played. I just wish the framerate was higher.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah it has been weird this E3 of constantly hearing the drumbeat of 4k 4k 4k 4k 4k 4k but not a single person says 60 fps. Like... 4k is nice and cool and all but as a gamer you will definitely notice 60 fps WAY MORE than going from 1080p to 4k on most TV sets. I'm not a 60 fps purist, I'm totally fine playing all my console games at 30 fps, but I notice the difference all the time when I play my daily FPS on PC (Titanfall 2) and then switch to PS4 for COD/Destiny (UC4 MP on PS4 is 60 fps and "feels" nice).

Microsoft COULD have had a big gaming "aha!" moment if they said the Xbox One X will try to force all games in X mode run at 60 fps and they will do it automatically for older games if possible. Sure, I bet there would be some games that shit the bed, ala dark souls on PC, but the list I bet isn't that large and could have probably been patched. Instead, they really just went the middle of the road, "we will give the power for devs to do whatever they want", which really just translates into "we'll wait until we see how many people buy an xbox one X before we spend any time optimizing for it".

• 3Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
EL OH EL ITS THE X BOX ONE X CUZ THE ACRONYM IS XBOX. WE"VE COME FULL CIRCLE, LIKE 360 DEGREES!

This siht is supposed to be stupid shitpost

• 1Smuggly