The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
EL OH EL ITS THE X BOX ONE X CUZ THE ACRONYM IS XBOX. WE"VE COME FULL CIRCLE, LIKE 360 DEGREES!

This siht is supposed to be stupid shitpost

borat.jpg

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I understand what you are saying, and while those games are great from a producers perspective, they suck from a gamers perspective.

Actually making games that make the best use of the best tech available would make them superior. You can't design a game to run on a gameboy and make it look like a top end title on other platforms, no matter how many features you patch in.

I feel the desire to make multi-platform games is lowering the potential for really great games. HZD wouldn't look nearly as good if it was designed for older platforms.

Going by how you are using the term "platform" Horizon Zero Dawn was designed for an older platform, the PS4, and it's the best looking game I've played in a long time when played on the Pro. Xbone and X aren't "multi-platform", they are the same platform. Saying that they are different platforms is like saying that a guy with a 970/i3 setup and a guy with a 1080/i7 computer are different platforms. The PC is absolutely no different. Developers make games that can run on an average gamer's computer and then they add all the good stuff for people who are running beast machines. They don't makes game that only run on the highest of high end computers. According to your definition, every PC game you've ever played is multi-platform because it's designed with a huge range of specs in mind. Designing games so that they run on an OG Xbone and then adding additional features that take full advantage of the X is no different than what ANY PC game developer has ever done. Games scale, that's what they do and have always done on the PC, why is it a problem when the same exact process happens on a console?

GTA5, which you mentioned, was designed for the PS3. Nearly two years later they added a bunch of bells and whistles and released the PC version, does it look like a PS3 game to you? Does it suck from a gamers perspective?

If anything iterative consoles are making consoles more and more like the PC, not less, so I don't get your hangup.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If anything iterative consoles are making consoles more and more like the PC, not less, so I don't get your hangup.
This is 100% right. Now that both major consoles are on x86 platform, they should all (theoretically) be backwards compatible going forward. So while the PS5 games won't work on your PS4/PS4pro/PS4finalprobeforewerelease5, all those old PS4 platform games will likely work on the PS5. I imagine the same for Xbox One going forward.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
We can probably assume that the machine that'll be named the PS5 will be the first since the PS4 that'll have software that cannot be played on prior models. If we can also assume that we'll be getting new hardware every 3 years, I hope there's not another Pro. Last thing we need is another console cycle lasting almost a decade.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
thats what I thought too when ps4 first came out, that studios would design their games on PC and then do last minute optimizations for ps4/xbox before launch.

I was wrong, studios constantly dev for ps4/xbox and do all kinds of weird ass, stupid shit to get a PC version out. Destiny 2 for example is being ported to PC by a third party dev studio. Now they are working closely with bungie, and the PC port is supposed to be really good so far, but its still coming out 6 weeks after the console version and who knows if its gonna be parity, and it seems unlikely there will be any single server cloud or cross play. Its 2 platforms - console and PC - as far as gamers are concerned.

That may be the exception and not the rule, but a lot of the great games last year had pretty shitty PC ports at launch - JC3, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, Deus Ex MD, Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3, No Mans Sky - and while most fixed their problems eventually, I wanna play a game at launch with no problems, not wait 3 months for patches.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
We can probably assume that the machine that'll be named the PS5 will be the first since the PS4 that'll have software that cannot be played on prior models. If we can also assume that we'll be getting new hardware every 3 years, I hope there's not another Pro. Last thing we need is another console cycle lasting almost a decade.

What I want to see is the term console cycle to disappear. Now that they've moved to PC parts I want to see upgraded machines every few years that play all the games from the last version, but also play new, better looking games. Basically they should be self-contained, no fuss computers that can play any game that comes out on that specific ecosystem. There is no such thing as backwards compatibility when it comes to the PC and it should be a thing on consoles anymore. Instead of PS4, PS5, they should just do like cars do, it's 2017 model not the Toyota Four Runner 34.

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
What I want to see is the term console cycle to disappear. Now that they've moved to PC parts I want to see upgraded machines every few years that play all the games from the last version, but also play new, better looking games. Basically they should be self-contained, no fuss computers that can play any game that comes out on that specific ecosystem. There is no such thing as backwards compatibility when it comes to the PC and it should be a thing on consoles anymore. Instead of PS4, PS5, they should just do like cars do, it's 2017 model not the Toyota Four Runner 34.

Barring some breakthrough in architecture that would make them change course, I think you will see BC going forward.

You won't see what you are talking about though with getting rid of console generations. Every 6-7 years you are going to see a cutoff where new games won't play on the old hardware. It's kind of the same on PCs with minimum specs, but instead of letting you try and having a shitty experience they will just outright prevent it. I prefer this way since it allows them to have a hard reset on baseline specs every so often without them having to worry about performance on 10 year old hardware.

• 2Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Barring some breakthrough in architecture that would make them change course, I think you will see BC going forward.

You won't see what you are talking about though with getting rid of console generations. Every 6-7 years you are going to see a cutoff where new games won't play on the old hardware. It's kind of the same on PCs with minimum specs, but instead of letting you try and having a shitty experience they will just outright prevent it. I prefer this way since it allows them to have a hard reset on baseline specs every so often without them having to worry about performance on 10 year old hardware.

That's what I meant when I said "I want to see upgraded machines every few years that play all the games from the last version, but also play new, better looking games". I don't expect the Playstation 2017 to be able to play games released on the Playstation 2019, just the opposite. Basically, like you say, a mirroring of the PC system where you upgrade your machine periodically to play the newest games but still have all of your old games available on the old system. If developers wanted to support the old systems they still could, but otherwise it's upgrade to play new shit or don't and play what you have.

I know a lot of console only people hate the idea of upgrades, but as someone who dropped like $1200 on video cards last year I feel like I've gotten a hell of a lot more value out of my $400 PS4 Pro purchase (even having already owned the PS4) than I probably ever will my video cards. Dropping $4-500 bucks on a new console every couple of years wouldn't bother me in the slightest and it keeps them from lagging behind in the tech department. I'm honestly excited for the way things are going in the console space, they start adding keyboard/mouse and some MMOs/RTS, etc. I might drop the PC altogether.

• 2Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's what I meant when I said "I want to see upgraded machines every few years that play all the games from the last version, but also play new, better looking games". I don't expect the Playstation 2017 to be able to play games released on the Playstation 2019, just the opposite. Basically, like you say, a mirroring of the PC system where you upgrade your machine periodically to play the newest games but still have all of your old games available on the old system. If developers wanted to support the old systems they still could, but otherwise it's upgrade to play new shit or don't and play what you have.

I know a lot of console only people hate the idea of upgrades, but as someone who dropped like $1200 on video cards last year I feel like I've gotten a hell of a lot more value out of my $400 PS4 Pro purchase (even having already owned the PS4) than I probably ever will my video cards. Dropping $4-500 bucks on a new console every couple of years wouldn't bother me in the slightest and it keeps them from lagging behind in the tech department. I'm honestly excited for the way things are going in the console space, they start adding keyboard/mouse and some MMOs/RTS, etc. I might drop the PC altogether.
Gotcha, I agree on the upgrade. You still don't have to buy a new console every 3 years, games coming out on PS4 still play absolutely perfectly on the OG model. Giving people that have the money and want an improved experience the option to upgrade is fine. As long as they don't overly fragment the market and make Devs have to account for dozens of console configurations.

And I'm pretty sure consoles already have KBM support, the games themselves just need to support them.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They do have kb/m support at the OS level, and Microsoft has been promising it for games since last E3 but there's still no sign of it actually happening. Sony... yeah, it's never going to happen outside of things like FF XIV.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They do have kb/m support at the OS level, and Microsoft has been promising it for games since last E3 but there's still no sign of it actually happening. Sony... yeah, it's never going to happen outside of things like FF XIV.

There's a surprising amount of "data entry" stuff that PS4 allows for KB, wife's added a spare to her PS4 because of getting into ESO recently and I swear every other game allows it for something minor like name entry. Tempting me to get some stupid wireless KB for such things in the future.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
People mad the PS4 pro and Xbox X going to better than their Alienware from Newegg?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's a surprising amount of "data entry" stuff that PS4 allows for KB, wife's added a spare to her PS4 because of getting into ESO recently and I swear every other game allows it for something minor like name entry. Tempting me to get some stupid wireless KB for such things in the future.
You can get a wieless Logitech shit unit like me for like $10

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
People mad the PS4 pro and Xbox X going to better than their Alienware from Newegg?

In terms of desktops, at $500 the Xbox One X competes with our cheap gaming PC build guide. And for the price, the specs are pretty similar. Our rig has a 3GB GTX 1060, which is about on par with the power level described above (though with significantly less GDDR5 RAM, as mentioned). Our rig also doesn't account for the price of Windows, but the trade-off there is you get a fully-functioning PC, as opposed to the locked ecosystem of a console. And, of course, the ability to upgrade down the line.

Here's how Microsoft's $500 Xbox One X compares to a PC | PC Gamer

funny

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
In terms of desktops, at $500 the Xbox One X competes with our cheap gaming PC build guide. And for the price, the specs are pretty similar. Our rig has a 3GB GTX 1060, which is about on par with the power level described above (though with significantly less GDDR5 RAM, as mentioned). Our rig also doesn't account for the price of Windows, but the trade-off there is you get a fully-functioning PC, as opposed to the locked ecosystem of a console. And, of course, the ability to upgrade down the line.

Here's how Microsoft's $500 Xbox One X compares to a PC | PC Gamer

funny
you can't compare raw specs between PC and console for performance though because consoles have lower level APIs that allow devs to get more bang for their buck from the hardware, or at least should in theory.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
and consoles have dogshit for CPU's

going to go with the review, this 2 month article also states a 600$ pc will get you 5.8 teraflops

by the time to scorpio launches a better performing pc will be available for 500$, without a doubt

Last edited: