The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
In terms of desktops, at $500 the Xbox One X competes with our cheap gaming PC build guide. And for the price, the specs are pretty similar. Our rig has a 3GB GTX 1060, which is about on par with the power level described above (though with significantly less GDDR5 RAM, as mentioned). Our rig also doesn't account for the price of Windows, but the trade-off there is you get a fully-functioning PC, as opposed to the locked ecosystem of a console. And, of course, the ability to upgrade down the line.

Here's how Microsoft's $500 Xbox One X compares to a PC | PC Gamer

funny

Isn't that only comparing price? Their cheap PC build opens saying you'll get 30-60 fps at 1080p and can't really do 1440p/4k. Your link says they expect performance more in line with the $230-$299 RX580 'but better' as that's not a 4k gaming card either. (and then again, the $600 PC in your subsequent post 'The thing with this PC, though, is that it's most definitely not 4K-capable')

We're probably another video card revision from being able to build something that can do what the One X does, current cards need a price drop to hit that level of performance IMO.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In terms of desktops, at $500 the Xbox One X competes with our cheap gaming PC build guide. And for the price, the specs are pretty similar. Our rig has a 3GB GTX 1060, which is about on par with the power level described above (though with significantly less GDDR5 RAM, as mentioned). Our rig also doesn't account for the price of Windows, but the trade-off there is you get a fully-functioning PC, as opposed to the locked ecosystem of a console. And, of course, the ability to upgrade down the line.

funny
can always upgrade

So it's more expensive than the Xbox X. K thx

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Or large windows. FedEx guy surprised me one day but we played it off like it was cool. Just bro things.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider

funny

and consoles have dogshit for CPU's

going to go with the review, this 2 month article also states a 600$ pc will get you 5.8 teraflops

by the time to scorpio launches a better performing pc will be available for 500$, without a doubt

Do you read the shit you link? Both of those articles contridict your stance. The first flat out states you aren't gaming at 4K on that machine, the second says this:

However, you're looking at close to $1,000 for what is expected to be a similarly-performing PC compared to Project Scorpio.

You should stick to trading card games.

Anyway, trying to argue with people about building a $500 PC to match the X is futile, even further it wouldn't matter if you could build one for the same price anyway. You aren't playing at 4K (even checkerboard) on a $500 PC, end of fucking story. It takes a 1070 or higher to get 4K/30 fps...in some games. That's $400 for video card by itself. And on top of all of that you aren't getting games designed specifically for the PC anyway, you're going to get fucking Ubisoft port that runs like ass instead. Enjoy your $500 piece of shit PC.

And while I agree that the CPU in these consoles are shit, it's irrelevant for what they are trying to do. The higher the resolution the more workload is shifted to the GPU, which means tossing in a better CPU wouldn't make a fuck of difference, would raise the price significantly and would make the boxes hotter, louder and larger...sounds like a fucking brilliant plan!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's pretty obvious that when even the PC sites can't get the performance under $500 then you can't. They don't include any of the other features either

So for $500 you can get a PC that performs a bit worse than an Xbox one x, doesn't include a 4K blu ray drive (or any drive in most cases), doesn't include the case, doesn't have any input devices (no KBM or controller).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I doubt mobile will take over, it will just be a side platform, like it is now. I want to sit down in front of my 60 in and be engrossed in a game. Mobile is cool, dont get me wrong, but not something I want to play AAA shooters or mmorpgs or AAA adventure games on. also why download AAA game on mobile to stream on my tv while I can do the same on a console?

Maybe im not getting what you are saying.

I just want a fucking media center that links all this shit together. My internet, google, amazon, netflix, smart phone, and plays games, even my music collection thats in the google cloud. Plus be my cable box and links all that shit into one device.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'm not sure anyone is talking about mobile? The recent posts are comparing Xbox one X vs PC for the price.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd still build a PC for roughly that price and just make it do 1080p60 in most non-shitty optimization games. 4K on a desk is retarded, if you want more pixels you go ultrawide not higher density. Even connecting it to a TV I'm still going with 1080p60 over 4K30 any day.

• 1Solidarity

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I'd still build a PC for roughly that price and just make it do 1080p60 in most non-shitty optimization games. 4K on a desk is retarded, if you want more pixels you go ultrawide not higher density. Even connecting it to a TV I'm still going with 1080p60 over 4K30 any day.

I don't even see the point of building a gaming PC unless you go high end or just play indie games. I mean if $500 was my budget I'd just buy a console and call it a day. I agree, though, about Ultrawide, it's far and away the best PC gaming experience. Of course, people who use tv's don't really have a choice, and if that's the case 4K is so much better than 1080p. I'll never go back to 1080p on anything except Nintendo because they probably won't be full 1080p until the rest of the world is using 8k, the Luddite bastards.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I would be pretty shocked if you could build a $250 pc that would run almost any game at 1080/60

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well yeah, if you are going to piss away $130-180 for a 4K bluray drive in a 1080p60 gaming PC then you're going to come up short, especially since you need to spend extra on almost all the main components to ensure HDCP 2.2 compatibility. Shit's retarded unless you're building a dedicated HTPC.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well yeah, if you are going to piss away $130-180 for a 4K bluray drive in a 1080p60 gaming PC then you're going to come up short, especially since you need to spend extra on almost all the main components to ensure HDCP 2.2 compatibility. Shit's retarded unless you're building a dedicated HTPC.
Even without that, I'm still doubtful of your claim. I'm not saying you are wrong since I don't really follow prices that much, but 1080/60 is still decently hard to achieve. I mean a video card to do that for most modern games would be like $150-$200 alone wouldn't it?