The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, when I said 'roughly' I was thinking it'd probably be an extra $50-100 over the PC Gamer cheap build to get solid 60 fps or at least close to it. It's always going to be an apples-to-oranges comparison anyway. Some people will value the 4K bluray player and maybe have a Xbone S already that they can trade in, and the X is the obvious choice. I suspect a lot of people don't give a single fuck about blurays 4K or otherwise though, and probably have at least basic PC peripherals laying around, so it's more of a grey area there. On the far end would be people like me who already have a gpu that can do at least 2560x1080, maybe 1440p60, a couple SSDs and all the other reusable parts. The console can't possibly compete with just needing a new cpu/motherboard/RAM to keep up with fall/2018 Microsoft "exclusives".

Palum

what Suineg set it to
you can't compare raw specs between PC and console for performance though because consoles have lower level APIs that allow devs to get more bang for their buck from the hardware, or at least should in theory.

I'm guessing this is just outright not true for most game studios that develop titles to be cross platform in the first place.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm guessing they're not making much profit on their new systems, at least out of the gate, so that gives the XBOX S a sizable advantage versus trying to put together a PC together that matches it, since you'd be buying all the parts at a cost where each manufacturer is making a good profit.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
tumblr_lj5x3baFCq1qaoe7l.gif~c200

When you turn HDR on for Horizon Dawn.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vaclav

tumblr_lj5x3baFCq1qaoe7l.gif~c200

When you turn HDR on for Horizon Dawn.

Perhaps its my shitty color vision - but HDR really doesn't seem like much but slightly better blacks/brighter whites than last gen. Which had felt like a step back from Plasma.

It certainly looks nicer, but I'd expected it to be awe-inspiring - and with my R/G colorblindness at least - it's barely noteworthy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

So when you're colorblind HDR isn't effective? Well color me shocked.

Shrug, some stuff like blue/whites/yellows (skyscapes) I see exactly like a normal person and the difference isn't substantial to me either. Maybe my LG doesn't have enough RPMs though.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
When is XBOX coming out anyway? Shouldn't you compare PC parts available at that time to it price wise? Even 6 months can make a big difference.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I'm waiting to see how the X and Pro stack up in terms of what developers actually do with the extra X power. There are a ton of multi-platform games that I don't particularly want to play on the PC and right now I'm buying those on the Pro. If the X ends up with better looking/running games than the Pro I'll definitely jump in and grab one.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'll probably get a pro if they actually drop the price. Sub $300 would convince me.

• 1Like