The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Khane

Got something right about marriage
PS5 might be the first console I've ever bought at launch. Depends on exactly what the launch titles are, but it's looking promising.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
What are they talking about? $500 for a game console seems like a no brainer when people are paying $1400 for phones. (iPhone Pro Max 512gb $1449.00)

Especially with the aging gaming crowd with increasing disposable income... Not unlike a forum that I frequent...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
$500 is definitely not too much as long as the hardware justifies the cost.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah $499 for gamers who spend $1299 on a fucking video card...

These articles crack me up. Get with the times.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Really comes down to what the competition is. Xbone failed not because it had a $500 price tag, but because the PlayStation 4 was $100 cheaper and had better performance (plus exclusives). If xbone 2 comes in at $400 with better hardware than the PS5 at $500 then it might be problematic, but even that is mitigated some by the exclusive content Sony has.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Learn from the audio designers of Borderlands 3 and Gears of War 5 around how a collaboration between Microsoft, Dolby, and our middleware partners kicked off a revolution with spatial sound that turns any pair of headphones into a multi-dimensional gateway to another world. Attendees will dive deep into the audio design pipeline (Project Acoustics) and the relationship to dedicated hardware-acceleration on newer generation Xbox consoles.

The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” [Cerny] says, “it’s been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That's good to see. Game audio has been pretty much neglected for well over a decade. It's probably the most stagnant aspect of game design overall.

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gamers should never be forced to purchase the same game twice

Cool, so when should I expect to be able to download TW3 on my Switch for free so I can take full advantage of the cross-save functionality between it and GOG? :trollface:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That's good to see. Game audio has been pretty much neglected for well over a decade. It's probably the most stagnant aspect of game design overall.

And also confused as hell.

MS has Dolby Atmos but it's licensed. So while we see Netflix leveraging it on the Xbox Console, we aren't seeing many games. The one's that do? They are outstanding from an audio perspective. (With home theater systems - headphones are emulating as long as it has the Atmos track)

3D Spatial could mean a bunch of things before launch, but with Sony, it sucks in it's current iteration because it can ONLY be leveraged with Sony headphones (Gold and Platinum) and literally nothing else on the market, with VSS enabled on the headset. When running through a home set up Atmos enabled it doesn't even activate the speaker set up or coverage pattern.

This is why BOTH consoles should standardize on Dolby Atmos in the same vein everyone but Nintendo standardized on Dolby Digital.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Cool, so when should I expect to be able to download TW3 on my Switch for free so I can take full advantage of the cross-save functionality between it and GOG? :trollface:

I have been a large proponent of Cross Platform licensing in games for a long time now. How publishers have not hopped on this yet must go back to financial stats and tracking - maybe noticiing that people are buying games on 2 platforms at full price.

There is a new model floating about in which instead of paying $59.99 you pay $79.99 and can play the game on whichever platform it releases on. But it requires all publishers to have account based licensing on each platform where quite a few don't. So in that case they would get keys for multiple platforms and could resell the keys if they aren't tied to an account log in to monitor concurrent usage of the license.

Either way, I would have no issue with Cross Platform licensing and having to have an account that integrates PC, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo and needing an account with those publishers and SSO to accomodate. Cross Platform, Cross save should be the way of the future. We have friends now on various platforms and we are completely segmented.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I have been a large proponent of Cross Platform licensing in games for a long time now. How publishers have not hopped on this yet must go back to financial stats and tracking - maybe noticiing that people are buying games on 2 platforms at full price.

There is a new model floating about in which instead of paying $59.99 you pay $79.99 and can play the game on whichever platform it releases on. But it requires all publishers to have account based licensing on each platform where quite a few don't. So in that case they would get keys for multiple platforms and could resell the keys if they aren't tied to an account log in to monitor concurrent usage of the license.

Either way, I would have no issue with Cross Platform licensing and having to have an account that integrates PC, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo and needing an account with those publishers and SSO to accomodate. Cross Platform, Cross save should be the way of the future. We have friends now on various platforms and we are completely segmented.

I'd even split the difference and take a fee of some kind for games I own to be made available on other platforms. The capability is what I want, it'll make sense economically in time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
February update rolling out, featuring revised home UI:

1582654632622.png

More details here: February 2020 Xbox One Update Introduces New Home Interface and More - Xbox Wire

Also, games with gold for the month:

1582654768264.png

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ori and the Blind Forest, the game that most epically punches you right in the feels in the introduction

• 1Like