The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
PS5 via Digital Foundry:

CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz RDNA 2
RAM: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive Expandable
Storage: NVMe SSD Slot

Also, this is really strange w/ the fake crowd bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm if the PS5 has a NVMe generic slot that's pretty big compared to the proprietary 1TB only slot on the xbox. Obviously you can just plug some shit via USB but being able to add a 2tb(or more) NVMe directly inside and not have a disk floating around, plus the obvious bandwith limitations of USB makes it a much better solution.

Edit: Nvm he's talking about it and there's A LOT of requirements so guess it won't be generic.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So did I watch the same stream? This told us absolutely fucking nothing.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the generic slot is pretty fantastic news. It's too bad the industry can't adopt a standard nvme cartridge for multipurpose use (expandable storage, maybe game delivery once economies of scale allow it).

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oops sorry he isn't done yet :) My bad. Was in a meeting and had this paused and I thought it was over.

Also confirmed: Mark Cerny is a gay Mr Rogers.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the generic slot is pretty fantastic news. It's too bad the industry can't adopt a standard nvme cartridge for multipurpose use (expandable storage, maybe game delivery once economies of scale allow it).
I edited it but it's not a generic slot per se, they'll be testing commercial drives and release a compatibility list, because they have various requirements like speed(need to be PCIe 4.0 at least) and obviously size(I assume they'll have one of the smaller slots instead of the full length ones).

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

EDIT: NVM I'm 7 minutes behind your reply
The fireworks factory being the games.

giphy.gif

• 1Worf

Malkav

French Madman
I know Cerny is a hardware guy, but god damn that conference is DRY.

We've been on the audio engine for how long?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Jesus Christ they aren't supporting Atmos. Are they.... GOD. SUPPORT THE LICENSED STANDARD! FUCK YOU SONY.

I am going to have an Atmos sound set up, want to use your system with Atmos support in games and movies. THAT'S IT. Not your home grown designed bullshit to bypass having to pay a fucking Dolby license. Which also means, HDR10+ at best.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
LOLOL! WOW.

What a fucking shitshow presentation. Are you fucking serious right now.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
As a member of the vast majority of potential consumers that doesn't own and will never own an Atmos setup: I'm glad that the price of the console isn't going to be inflated by the license fee for it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I'm really wondering what Sony is trying to pull here if anything? They keep doing this carrot on a string thing with the PS5 where Microsoft has already come out with a bam this is what you get.
Edit: Cerny did say they are saving stuff for the reveal but I just want to ride the hype train till release. Don't give me carrots I want the STEAK!

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
As a member of the vast majority of potential consumers that doesn't own and will never own an Atmos setup: I'm glad that the price of the console isn't going to be inflated by the license fee for it.

An Atmos license for bulk products is nothing. Cost of doing business and isn't passed on to the customer anyway. You wouldn't notice a thing. And the functionality of the device would support media playback in Atmos/DTS:X across all streaming services one uses as well as physical media. It's pretty fucking important. Using this as a streaming box goes away. Disney +, Netflix, fuck you name the app, all support Atmos tracks, and it should also be supported from physical media.

You should play a video game in Atmos once. Because while you may think it's a gimmick, I can assure you it isn't and brings an entirely new dimension to the game experience. And at this point, comes standard on whatever you upgrade too or will HAVE to upgrade to to support HDMI 2.1 anyhow. The fact they aren't using what's standard and and end up spending more in internal development of their proprietary audio product rather than just use the already tried and true standard and pay a bulk license fee is fucking assanine.

Atmos will come standard with every receiver on the planet. You will need to upgrade it to support HDMI 2.1 if you run any sort of home audio set up. So that vast majority you speak of is simply not true. Most, if not all, home audio set ups support atmos already and if they don't, they will need to upgrade the receiver to support the new HDMI standard to take advantage of the console's power anyway - so they will have it. After that, you add two speakers pointed up at a ceiling and that can be cheap as shit or you can go as crazy as you want.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm in the middle. While I agree with Dom, and am one that will probably never have a Atmos setup, I think it's pretty dumb that Sony doesn't offer it.