The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So Xbox and PS5 are pretty much the same hardware wise, and exclusives are what's going to make a difference...sounds familiar.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
How much is nothing?

Like 6 cents over a unit in bulk. The funny thing is they pay for it with all their other system devices. TV's, Receivers, Blue Ray Players, Movie production, you name it. The cost to them is so fucking miniscule. The outcome is if it weren't for game pass (Which games on it are not up to par of Sony's 1st party titles) it would be the go to device in the house for streaming and media as well if they licensed it. It would put a dent into MS's console - as players could leverage their PC's unless MS actually starts producing decent 1st party games to justify a smaller cost console footprint and take Xbox out of the equation as a go to media hub. Since they are still having issues putting out any 1st party titles worth a shit (Still have to let this one bake a bit since their acquisitions) the domination which would ensue would be palpable.

Instead, they are spending MORE money on internal development for a non standard 3d Audio system, which deters 3rd party dev's from designing tracks around that system anyway as they are looking to hit the standard out of the box, and won't waste resources on 3D audio when it's for one console and easier to track Atmos as the system practically does it for you. Which then reverts to what we have today. 1st party titles possibly using 3D audio, 3rd party reverting to 5.1, and a console which supports jack shit for standard Atmos in media and streaming.

I mean seriously - Atmos licensed divisions of Sony. Check this out. I'll spoiler it to save space in the post. Mean to tell me they won't spend 6 cents to enable it on their console to support all media types and games development? WHY. Because some Japanese ego is up there stating their hard development proprietary 3D platform will be better and they can save 6 cents a console when 1) 3rd party won't develop for it. 2) Physical, Digital, and Streaming media won't support it. 3) They spent more money developing it than buying a standard license. And the biggest 4) It isn't as good anyway.

Sony Advanced Systems CompanySony Barcelona Plant
SONY BMG ARGENTINASony Broadcast & Professional Europe (Netherlands)
Sony Broadcast and Professional EuropeSony Business Solutions Corporation
Sony Comercio e Industria Ltda.Sony Computer Peripherals & Components Company
Sony Corp. Micro System NetworkSony Corporation
Sony da Amazonia Ltda.SONY ELECTRONICS INC
Sony Electronics of Korea CorporationSONY EMCS
Sony EMCS (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.Sony Energy Device Corporation
Sony Engineering CorporationSony Espana, S.A.
Sony Europe B.V.Sony France, S.A.
Sony Global Manufacturing & Operations CorporationSony Home Entertainment & Sound Products Inc
Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Inc.Sony India Pvt. Ltd.,
Sony India Software Centre Pvt. Ltd.Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
SONY INTERACTIVE STUDIO AMERICASony Kisarazu Co.
Sony LSI Design Inc.SONY MAGNETIC PRODUCTS
Sony Manufacturing Company (UK)Sony Mobile Communications Inc.
SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENTSONY NETWORK ENTERTAINMENT
Sony Optiarc Inc.SONY PICTURES ANIMATION
SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT INCSony Semiconductor Company of America
Sony Semiconductor Solutions CorporationSony Siam Industries Co., Ltd.
Sony Sound Communications, Inc.Sony Supply Chain Solutions, Inc.
Sony Taiwan LimitedSony Technology Thailand Co., Ltd.
Sony UK (Consumer)Sony VAIO of Europe
Sony Video & Sound Products Inc.SONY VIDEO SOFTWARE INT'L CORP
Sony Visual Products Inc.Sony-Wega Produktions GmbH

Last edited:
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Seems like BC requires an effort on Sony's part?

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.​

Mick

<Gold Donor>
1584557845437.png

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Wonder how much impact the drive throughput difference will have in real world gameplay. Load speed is probably the most important thing to me anymore, it’s amazing how much time is spent loading new areas or menus.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wonder how much impact the drive throughput difference will have in real world gameplay. Load speed is probably the most important thing to me anymore, it’s amazing how much time is spent loading new areas or menus.
I doubt it'll be that big of a deal, loadings feel like they have diminishing returns, once you're down to like 5secs loading, making them 3seconds instead is nice but also kinda whatever. As long as you're not waiting 20-40secs like HDD loadings, I don't think it's too important.

Xbox looks stronger overall, although the storage issue seems a bit shit especially with game makers not bothering compressing shit anymore so you end up with 100gb+ games, but ultimately it's close enough just like the PS4 and Xbox One, that the only thing that'll really matter is exclusives and I'm personnally a lot more interested by Sony's exclusives.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I doubt it'll be that big of a deal, loadings feel like they have diminishing returns, once you're down to like 5secs loading, making them 3seconds instead is nice but also kinda whatever. As long as you're not waiting 20-40secs like HDD loadings, I don't think it's too important.

Xbox looks stronger overall, although the storage issue seems a bit shit especially with game makers not bothering compressing shit anymore so you end up with 100gb+ games, but ultimately it's close enough just like the PS4 and Xbox One, that the only thing that'll really matter is exclusives and I'm personnally a lot more interested by Sony's exclusives.
Well Sony and MS are saying that SSDs should actually drive storage space down since apparently currently there are a ton of duplicated assets that they won’t have to do anymore.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well Sony and MS are saying that SSDs should actually drive storage space down since apparently currently there are a ton of duplicated assets that they won’t have to do anymore.
Well they do that shit on PC too so I don't know how true it is but we'll see. Still don't think the xbox being capped at 2tb internal is such a great idea and then the issue that the special xbox 1tb SSD they sell you is some overpriced shit like the PS Vita proprietary memory cards.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well, load times suck on both current gen consoles - so what they are producing here will be way above and beyond. I agree after we won't care as much, but this is good. My PS Pro was loading quest scenes for 5-10 seconds on trigger in Odyssey and I about ripped my hair out at times.

With that said stock HD space is retarded. Should be 2tb standard especially since both companies are pushing more digital than ever and want ti tilt it that way, than give you a fraction of the space you need.

External drive additions are going to be expensive as fuck.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well, load times suck on both current gen consoles - so what they are producing here will be way above and beyond. I agree after we won't care as much, but this is good. My PS Pro was loading quest scenes for 5-10 seconds on trigger in Odyssey and I about ripped my hair out at times.

With that said stock HD space is retarded. Should be 2tb standard especially since both companies are pushing more digital than ever and want ti tilt it that way, than give you a fraction of the space you need.

External drive additions are going to be expensive as fuck.
Bro just get a PC. You want way too much given the price range these things have to fall in. You’re talking like $300-400 just for the storage space you are asking for.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have one. Still running everything at 60+ frames in 1440p with a 2500k 1070 gtx in ultra. Ha. You are correct though on price point :) I need to remember that. With that said, Dolby should be a feature on every console not just MS and Sony is dropping the ball on that.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Comparing specs is pointless. Sony has won the last few generations with exclusives. Nintendo does it's own thing on weird gimped hardware and outsells everything. It's the games that matter.

• 1Truth!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep. I'll still cave and buy a XSEX though for the same reason I bought my X1X. Better hardware for multiplats alone wasn't enough, but combined with Game Pass they got me. That said, Game Pass will run out in 2022 and without the deals and 1:1 Gold conversion we used last year to max it out for cheap I'm not sure how great a value it really is once you're looking at paying full price or whatever minor sales they have on it.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yep. I'll still cave and buy a XSEX though for the same reason I bought my X1X though. Better hardware for multiplats alone wasn't enough, but combined with Game Pass they got me. That said, Game Pass will run out in 2022 and without the deals and 1:1 Gold conversion we used last year to max it out for cheap I'm not sure how great a value it really is once you're looking at paying full price or whatever minor sales they have on it.
I’m pretty sure MS realizes this and will cut us another great deal.
With that said I’m holding off and keeping to PC for a bit. I have zero desire to upgrade and outside Last of Us 2, not hyped for PS5 either.