The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Cybsled

You can't read too much into Gamestop allocations. Even 20 years ago, places like EB and GS's per-store allocation was a factor of 1) How much purchasing was able to secure from the vendors 2) anticipated demand 3) how much the home office was sending out to each district/store. They would also funnel more product to stores/districts that were strong profit generators or forecasts (ie, preorders), which is why they would always try to convince virtually everyone to PO (insert product here). Plus, with COVID and depressed store retail numbers, it's quite possible they held more back to support online sales vs. sending the majority to brick&mortar like they did in the past. My guess is it is a combo of:

1) Company financial woes in general (GS has been hurting)
2) PS5 seems to have more buzz than XB at the moment, so they may be anticipating more sales of PS vs. XB (there really isn't much margin on consoles, all the money is in the accessories and games, especially used).
3) Brick and Mortar stores having decreased profitability due to the current physical retail environment (COVID+the general push towards online that was happening even before COVID)
4) Pushing more people to pre-order (this was their model 20 years ago, I imagine it hasn't changed lol). I suspect there will be a magical batch that appears shortly before or after launch and those who pre-order stand a better chance of being next in line even if PO exceeds current projected inventory per store.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
IIRC 6-12 and 2-4 is pretty close to the numbers people were saying GS stores got for PS5 disc vs. discless too. So I'd agree there's not really anything to read into there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
1600730358329.png

• 1Rimshot

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can’t wait to get my PS5 and play the amazing 5 hour long SpiderMan exclusive.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

So much for Gamestop, yet again. 8 Series X allocated, at least 10 wanting one already in line at 9AM.

• 1Rustled

Vorph

Take off your mask and start coughing.
None of them had masks on, and it looked like a bunch of college kids from the local college pushing the 100-case limit that will shut them down for in-person classes, so I'm pretty sure I was the one at risk there.

Anyone get one? I struck out.
Amazon and Best Buy still haven't pulled their heads out of their asses and put their preorders live.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

They're marketing different performance specc'd machines, so just one crappy computer to one slightly less crappy computer, but a schism in performance which is what PC gaming is all about.

Microsoft should just buy Nvidia or AMD.

They build OS's, they build their own PCs, just offer an XBONE OS for people who are scared of a real OS.

As it is, a card takes up the highest vertical profile on the damn thing.

1600789860575.png

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
got one at the microsoft store too, that was the only realistic one and you had to be a bit lucky or early. target, walmart, AAFES, newegg, etc all sold out within a minute so very limited quantities. gamestops site was borked but lasted like 5 mins.

Best Buy and Amazon have NOT yet put theirs up

best buy has two sets of SKUs for each console, the all access version and the pay now one
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xbox-s.../pcmcat1586900952752.c?id=pcmcat1586900952752

amazon live