The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well yeah, I was talking about Televisions, not PC Monitors. 4k, which is dumb as fuck and should just be called 2180p or whatever, is definitely great for Monitors.
Yeah I'm hoping they drop the 4k nomenclature because it implies 4k height instead of width.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nobody I know says HD anyway even if it's plastered all over marketing. We're counting pixels here boys, if you're telling me how many pixels it has just tell me how many it has.

Siliconemelons

They pretty much did. They're trying to rebrand it as "Ultra HD", but it's not sticking very well.
I agree, because for a while there was 2k and 4k as they where deving all the new stuff, and now that its getting close to retail 4k is actually what 2k was... and we had hight numbers for SD 480, HD 720 and 1080... and because 2k may not sell as much, they go with width and say 4k? bah...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well yeah, I was talking about Televisions, not PC Monitors. 4k, which is dumb as fuck and should just be called 2180p or whatever, is definitely great for Monitors.
My PS3 sits on my desk next to my PC and uses a standard lcd panel. I expect I'll be doing the same for many years to come; I don't go in for all that couch-gaming nonsense.

And they've started calling it 4K2K now. :/

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This is never going to matter for the longest of times anyway. No one is recording in this format, and most of those folks finally converted over to HD anyway. Anything else will be upscaled.

I would say we are at least 10 years before this becomes even close to mainstream.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The problem with that Samsung is who the fuck wants that giant piece of shit? You can't even fit it into your pocket. When I saw it in the store I just laughed, why not have a regular phone (iphone even) and a tablet?

I still maintain the fact that they will hit a wall when it comes to thermal dissipation. Same thing happened with the CPU market and I guarantee it will happen in the smartphone market.. you can only go so far before you're holding a tablet up to your head to make phone calls.
The note 2 wasn't to show that it specifically was a gaming machine, but to show the massive leap on technology in the tone since the release of the current generation. The 720 and ps4 already use 2 year old hardware and they are a year from release.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The note 2 wasn't to show that it specifically was a gaming machine, but to show the massive leap on technology in the tone since the release of the current generation. The 720 and ps4 already use 2 year old hardware and they are a year from release.
And that 2 year old technology has more processing capacity than the next 10 years of smartphones.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know. The thing is when does that stop being a phone and start being a tablet?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
It's not dumb. It's fucking math and science that 4k is nonsense for regular sized TVs. You can also have a wider color gamut without going to 4k, that's purely in how you encode the video and has nothing to do with resolution.

Audio has also dick all to do with video resolution.
point is there is more to the move to 4k than the bigger resolution if that doesn't tickle your fancy. whatever encoding is irrelevant if the TV isn't capable of producing the color. they recently finalized rec. 2020 that specifies all TVs being sold as 4K or ultra HD are going to have to be capable of a much wider color range than we've ever had before. it's probably more exciting than the resolution upgrade is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020

velk

Trakanon Raider
I know. The thing is when does that stop being a phone and start being a tablet?
Not at the current sizes. The note2 is an awesome piece of hardware, and has the sales figures to show for it. I have had a lot of people who thought that it would be too big to use as a phone or put in a pocket be very surprised when they found that wasn't true when they tried mine out. I've also had a bunch of people upgrade to it after using it for a bit ;p

velk

Trakanon Raider
And that 2 year old technology has more processing capacity than the next 10 years of smartphones.
Now that is a ridiculous projection - they are using oct core 1.6GHz right ? You are really suggesting that will be beyond smartphone processors in *TEN YEARS* ? They are using lower spec 1.6GHZ quad right now in things that are already available. GPU is more questionable, given we have not even sketchy specs, but ten years ? Seriously ? ;p

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Now that is a ridiculous projection - they are using oct core 1.6GHz right ? You are really suggesting that will be beyond smartphone processors in *TEN YEARS* ? They are using lower spec 1.6GHZ quad right now in things that are already available. GPU is more questionable, given we have not even sketchy specs, but ten years ? Seriously ? ;p
Ok maybe ten years is a lot. Maybe 7 or 8 would be more realistic. And I'm including the entire package of cpu and gpu into a platform's processing capability.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Ok maybe ten years is a lot. Maybe 7 or 8 would be more realistic. And I'm including the entire package of cpu and gpu into a platform's processing capability.
so you acknowledge that smart phones in 7-8 years will be on par as the PS4/Xbox720, but you don't believe that eventually smart phones will dock to TVs/monitors and replace traditional PCS and consoles?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What I still can't fathom is why anyone wouldwantthat to happen.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
What I can't fathom is why the fuck you don't want it to happen. Fuck being chained to a desk.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
4k may never go mainstream. There is already a strong threat for a straight jump to 8k. Either way that shit is a good 10 years off from even being close to mainstream. It's hard enough to get people to switch from DVD to Blu-Rays. Getting people to move away from their 1080p TV's will be even harder.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
hopefully 4k blu rays are able to be downscaled and played on 1080p TVs so i can stop buying the 1080p without having to spring for the TV just yet.