The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
There is none?
Was curious. Because I know you play a lot of games. And I see a lot of user reviews on amazon complaining about it on this display.

First, I know that not everyone's going to encounter this, and it's entirely possible I got a bum screen. But hear me out.

I had this for 3 months without any major issues. I started to play co-op Borderlands 2 with friends a couple hours at a time, a couple nights a week and for a little longer on weekends. And when I wasn't playing, the TV had other exciting dynamic things to display.

Now I have burn-in. On a white or light-colored background, you can see the ghost elements (and once you've noticed them, it's hard to not see).

The quick-start guide in the manual says "avoid displaying the same image for long periods of time" and calls out some things like sports and video games that are problematic. But it never occurred to me it might be something like playing the same game for 10h over a week's time. And I know it was that light because my friends' schedules meant our window was ~9:30-12 or so on certain nights.

If the manual had said anything like "as a general rule, avoid anything that shows the same things for more than an hour without a break" I'd have taken that seriously, and if I didn't, it'd be my own fault. But I had no idea, and there's no guidance.

I talked to Panasonic customer support and said "Hey, what's the scoop, this was pretty light usage, what do I do?" Their response was "Screen burn-in is not covered in your warranty."

That's it. 3-month old thousand-plus-dollar TV having burn-in issues under what I felt was entirely reasonable usage, and that was their response. If you have this TV and don't have this issue, that's totally awesome. But at the very least, know that you're operation without a safety net or a spotter or instruction on how to avoid the fall.

I had this tv for 3 mounths and it has Major Image retentions burned on the screen.I watch sports every weekend and has caused the score tool bar outline to burn in the screen. I called Panasonic and they told me its not covered by warranty. They said that on there manual Page 2 that you can not watch any tv content containing a Stationary logo for a long time. Basicly you can not watch any tv at all, because last time I check every channel has there stationary logo on, ext discovery,tnt,tlc,channel 7,espn,nfl network. Avoid this tv and This Brand..

I bought this TV and did everything they recommended to avoid image retention. After waiting 9 months before playing video games, I finally played one and after 3 weeks the logo was burned in. Used picture orbiting, watched a lot of regular TV, did the wipe bars, and after 2 months it's still there when the TV background is white in that area.

I called Panasonic customer service and they took forever to respond (had to email, phone, and use live chat). Finally when I spoke to an agent he and his supervisor told me burn in was not covered. They actually said that the manual indicates not to watch anything with static images. I'm sure it doesn't say that periodically watching images with a static display, even over a matter of weeks, will cause irreparable damage, and really that should go on the box.

Basically, if they aren't going to stand behind their claim that their technology isn't going to suffer burn-in issues any longer, and you don't want to be paranoid whenever you watch something with a static bar or image, or want to use your TV to play games, get an LCD instead
About 20% of reviews are complaining about this, or the display completely failing after 3-9 months. With that said, it's technology. It can and will go bad. But that is why I asked.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The display just came out this month (April)... it's impossible for it to have failed after 3-9 months at this point in time. What TV are you reading about?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had a LG Plasma for about 2 years now and my TV sits on ESPN for a good 10-12 hours a day on the weekends during football and college basketball season. If you're familiar with ESPN, they always have the same scroll graphic + logo across the bottom of the screen constantly. If I switch to an all-black screen I can faintly see the logos for a minute or two, but as soon as a new picture comes on the screen they are gone. Buddy of mine passed out drunk once with Rockband paused on his Samsung plasma, sat paused, whole screen still for like 12+ hours. The image was gone within minutes after changing the channel.

Burn in is nonexistent in any halfway decent, modern Plasma TV

Also, neither of us did any of that weird 200 hour color burn-in crap either.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The display just came out this month (April)... it's impossible for it to have failed after 3-9 months at this point in time. What TV are you reading about?
Well, you did say it was the exact same panel from last year's top of the line models.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
My almost 4 year old Panasonic Plasma has no burn in at all. The motion adaptive anti burn in technology works great.

Best TV I've owned, by far best picture and least problems I've dealt with.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I said it's being reviewed as having a picture as good or better than last year's flagships. Not that it had the exact same panel. I posted months ago that it may be using the GT50's panel as part of it, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore.

Also Ut was definitely looking at a completely different model. Either way, burn-in is next to non-existent on modern Plasmas and any customer notes about it for models in the past couple years are probably extreme fringe cases.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P...owViewpoints=1

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You do realize the ST50 and the ST60 are the exact same set with a model switch right? The ST50 had glowing reviews for the first couple of months as well. How long have you had the set? A few weeks?

I read reviews for the one model previous because they switch every year, and a friend of mine who is an area sales manager for Panasonic stated there were no changes. I think you got an extra app or too and a stylus pen or something? I really hope it continues to work for you and hope to Christ you never have to deal with Panasonic should something break.

Sean_sl

shitlord
No, they are not the same set dude. There is a substantial jump in quality over the ST50. The ST60 is more akin to the VT50 in quality. They very different sets, the ST60 has a different panel and a different processing board in it. You're pulling shit out of your ass.

I'm done with your shit. You clearly have some irrational, misinformed phobia against plasmas. You also haven't actually read up on the sets, you're just skimming Amazon for any possible fringe negative thing you can find despite the rest of the board telling you that you are *wrong*.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Anyway back on topic. If the nextbox is delayed by 6 months they are in really deep shit. The online always thing didn't bother me that much. I am gonna end up going Ps4 instead if it is delayed.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbanlo

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...5118300-2.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...5566952-2.html

ST50:
- better blue
- better 3D on p24 materials
- slightly better motion resolution w/ dejudder off

ST60:
- better black
- better green
- better apps
- 2 free glasses

no mention of improved sharpness.

From reports on here the ST60 has much worse input lag than the ST50 for gamers out there.
Where did you see it has a new panel and different processing board in it?

Also cnet agreed. To the point they said just buy an st50.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...g-on-the-st60/

I'll make you a deal anyway. Throw a wild jersey on, throw the wild Blackhawk game on it, stand in front of it with a thumbs up, take a picture, post it, and I'll admit you have the best display money can buy.

Sean_sl

shitlord
From people who have actuallyopened the units up. the ST60, and I believe the S60 too, is using a new third-party processor on their boards and the GT60 (not available in the US for some gay reason), the VT60, and ZT60 are using Panasonic's new Hexacore processors.

There's actually been talk about seeing if it's possible to swap a GT60 or VT60 board into the ST60, since the 75ms input lag is too much for the hardcore fighting game people. The S60, which does't have all the smart TV crap, only has 30ms and the GT60/VT60 only have 30-40 ms.

Personally I don't find the lag to be an issue with most of the games I play, I tested a few games from Metal Gear Rising which is 60 FPS and super responsive and Dragon's Dogma which only runs at 30 fps if you're lucky, a lot of the time it goes lower, and I could not notice the input lag at all in any of the games I tried. However, I am not hardcore into fighting games or old school 2d platforming and those games are usually played on specialized displays anyways if you're seriously into them.

I do hope a firmware update can fix it, or there's some way to gut the smart TV crap out of the ST60. Panasonic is putting out the source for the firmware next month so maybe someone will hack it if they don't fix their own shit. Barring that I'd be willing to drop $200 or whatever to swap a GT60 or VT60 board into it if someone figures out if that's actually possible.

It's not a big deal if none of that happens though, since it's completely unnoticeable in most games. Also the set looks totally fucking amazing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll make you a deal anyway. Throw a wild jersey on, throw the wild Blackhawk game on it, stand in front of it with a thumbs up, take a picture, post it, and I'll admit you have the best display money can buy.
This is really the only way out of this, Sean.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Send me the jersey and you have a deal.

Btw, that was 3 months before they had a ST60 on hand to review. Seriously, if you're going to post shit like that, look at the dates on what you're posting.

Also, the ST60 is just the best for price/performance. For absolute image quality and black level the ZT60 is the top end Plasma.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lol awesome pm me your address
smile.png

Edit: any color.
smile.png

Edit 2: we are in negotiations

http://www.google.com/search?biw=768...vpGAsUa_BLM%3A

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
And here i was thinking for a sec the new consoles were getting compared, dammit.
And if Ut had said a rangers jersey, i would have gladly tossed in to help.

Sean_sl

shitlord
And here i was thinking for a sec the new consoles were getting compared, dammit.
And if Ut had said a rangers jersey, i would have gladly tossed in to help.
Only recent rumor is that the X720 might be delayed to Spring 2014. Still another 21 days till Microsoft's conference.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Negotiation complete. We should see a picture on Thursday.

Mn checking ship times. It may not be that soon. No jerseys via prime.

Edit: I'll get it at a sport shop.
smile.png

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
Only recent rumor is that the X720 might be delayed to Spring 2014. Still another 21 days till Microsoft's conference.
Yeah, but was hoping at first seeing all the stats being thrown back and forth.
Oh well, I can keep waiting.
Enjoy a free jersey at least!