The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's only video that are using long sections of audio that they own the copyright for, so it doesn't affect every video.

xrg

Golden Squire
That's a bit of a weird concept to generate revenue off what is basically word of mouth free advertising. I suspect it will probably just lead to people not doing speed-runs and Let's Plays of Nintendo games.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That's a bit of a weird concept to generate revenue off what is basically word of mouth free advertising. I suspect it will probably just lead to people not doing speed-runs and Let's Plays of Nintendo games.
Why? If anything it would be people using a different video service to host their let's plays(something quite a few do anyways). But what does a Let's Play author care if the website his viewers see has a commercial on it? What is the negative effect?

xrg

Golden Squire
Normally the ad revenue on their channel goes to them -- for some of the bigger ones it's their primary source of income even. For Nintendo games, it'll funnel to Nintendo instead. So, I'd just assume people would be like the dude in the article and just LP non-Nintendo games instead.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Normally the ad revenue on their channel goes to them -- for some of the bigger ones it's their primary source of income even. For Nintendo games, it'll funnel to Nintendo instead. So, I'd just assume people would be like the dude in the article and just LP non-Nintendo games instead.
Oh. Gotcha.

Cor_sl

shitlord
This is the thread where we were discussing handheld gaming and stuff, right? I can't remember. My apologies if it isn't.

--

I just got this App Annie gaming report in my inbox and it really surprised me.

http://files.appannie.com/reports/AA...ort%201Q13.pdf

TLDR; consumer spending on games for iOS App Store and Google Play was close to 3x that for gaming optimized handhelds in 1Q13.

I knew smartphone/tablet gaming was popular, but I didn't realise it was this popular.

--

Also, the npd numbers for the US came out today.

The 3ds sold between 100-105k units (compared to 125k in April last year), and the Wii U only sold 37-38k, a disastrously low number of units.

The PS3 and the 360 didn't perform too well, either, with the 360 hitting a low of 130k units and the ps3 selling around 100k~. I'm guessing prices cuts will be coming for these two consoles soon.

It'll be interesting to see whether this sharp drops in sales is due to generation fatigue or fatigue with gaming consoles in general.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nintendo is pretty much fucked. If they dont go the way of Sega and just become a publisher they will be fucked even more.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The 3ds sold between 100-105k units (compared to 125k in April last year), and the Wii U only sold 37-38k, a disastrously low number of units.
Nintendo's fixed this all up by making the next Sonic games Nintendo platforms only. Crisis averted!

The PS3 and the 360 didn't perform too well, either, with the 360 hitting a low of 130k units and the ps3 selling around 100k~... It'll be interesting to see whether this sharp drops in sales is due to generation fatigue or fatigue with gaming consoles in general.
That we've run out of people willing to pay $300 for eight year old hardware doesn't say anything about how many people are still willing to pay ~$450 for zero year old hardware.

That said, I fully expect the market to shrink this upcoming gen, but a PS1 size market is hardly the apocalypse.