The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
eh i think you guys are a little too harsh, for at least the next 18 months the X is way more powerful than a PS4 Pro so it makes sense to run games you don't/can't run on a PC on it over a PS4. I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 1 for a few hours a week for a few weeks now and really enjoying it, while mechanically it definitely feels like a 360 game (TWO buttons to bring up the world map? INSANITY) on the visual side it is a technical masterpiece, it looks exactly like any other current gen game and is really great. Hope to finish it and then tackle a few other 360/ps3 games I missed like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. I wish I could play Ni No Kuni 1 and Yakuza 3-5 on my PS4 but nope, unless I wanna do that streaming thing. Plus my X can play 4K UHD blurays whereas my PS4 Pro, for some fucked up reason (Sony didn't want to spend the extra $20), can't.

Most of the multiplat games I'm playing the next year I'm buying on X, like RDR 2, Shadow Tomb Raider, Hitman 2, Metro Exodus, etc. I'll do Battlefield 5 and Anthem probably on PC thru Origin Access, and of course PS4 exclusives like Spider man and TLOU 2 and Days Gone on Pro. Still, I can see a lot of decent gaming time on X for the next year. They do have an insanely massive hole not having any good exclusives but I imagine thats not going to get fixed until 2020 when they launch a new console and all the new studios they bought have exclusives for that console.

Its really nice the cross buy thing too, like I own now a few games digitally on X and can play them on my PC seamlessly - Shadow of Mordor 2, Forza Horizon 3, Forza 7, and soon Forza Horizon 4. Whichever system i feel like. I wish more games would do cross play and buy like Destiny 2, Anthem, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc but thats probably a decade or two away.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I just keep my computer up to date. That's why I can't see myself getting another xbox. That's the only reason for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
eh i think you guys are a little too harsh, for at least the next 18 months the X is way more powerful than a PS4 Pro so it makes sense to run games you don't/can't run on a PC on it over a PS4. I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 1 for a few hours a week for a few weeks now and really enjoying it, while mechanically it definitely feels like a 360 game (TWO buttons to bring up the world map? INSANITY) on the visual side it is a technical masterpiece, it looks exactly like any other current gen game and is really great. Hope to finish it and then tackle a few other 360/ps3 games I missed like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. I wish I could play Ni No Kuni 1 and Yakuza 3-5 on my PS4 but nope, unless I wanna do that streaming thing. Plus my X can play 4K UHD blurays whereas my PS4 Pro, for some fucked up reason (Sony didn't want to spend the extra $20), can't.

Most of the multiplat games I'm playing the next year I'm buying on X, like RDR 2, Shadow Tomb Raider, Hitman 2, Metro Exodus, etc. I'll do Battlefield 5 and Anthem probably on PC thru Origin Access, and of course PS4 exclusives like Spider man and TLOU 2 and Days Gone on Pro. Still, I can see a lot of decent gaming time on X for the next year. They do have an insanely massive hole not having any good exclusives but I imagine thats not going to get fixed until 2020 when they launch a new console and all the new studios they bought have exclusives for that console.

Its really nice the cross buy thing too, like I own now a few games digitally on X and can play them on my PC seamlessly - Shadow of Mordor 2, Forza Horizon 3, Forza 7, and soon Forza Horizon 4. Whichever system i feel like. I wish more games would do cross play and buy like Destiny 2, Anthem, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc but thats probably a decade or two away.

My big issue though is that MS themselves need too learn what "exclusive" means, Sony has known how it works for awhile, Bloodborne, HZD, GoW, Persona 5 all awesome games that were designed(albiet only 1 is not a first party title, but the whole Persona series is a PlayStation exclusive..(Other then PQ but mehh on that game.) And as far as 4K UHD blurays.. how many of these "Ultra-HD" movies were out when Sony designed the Pro ? really don't blame them for not including it, they learned there lesson with the PS3(Game consoles do not need too be full-on media centers, they can be just for games)...

I would rather buy my games on PC then a console, but honestly the only games MS have coming out are all available on PC also...(except for KH3, but after I'd say 6-8months after release of KH3, I bet we will see a "Steam" version of the whole series..), so another, "Why should I care?" *shrug*

and Scarlett will fail before it even releases, MS can sit there and say they have fixed the latency issues all they want, but unless they are working with all ISP providers in the US(and I mean every single one), it's gonna be garbage, streaming games like that does not work for action games, works great for RPG games that are not RT combat.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The streaming game thing for PS was absolute garbage. Ps4 Pro and a gigabit connection and Dark Souls 2 was unplayable with the constant stuttering

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
definitely play hitman 1, its worth dropping a few bucks just to get game pass on alone

PS+ August:

PS4: Mafia 3 (nice!), Dead by Daylight, Here They Lie, Knowledge is Power
PS3: Bound by Flame, Serious Sam 3 BFE
Vita: Draw Slasher, Space Hulk

Here they Lie is also a PSVR game

Mafia 3 is really great, while it drags after 10 hours or so until the end its pretty interesting

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
starting 8/8 gamestop is gonna run a trade promo, get $200 in TC when you trade in an orig XB1 towards an X or $250 for S/PS4 or $300 for PS4 Pro. Starting 8/10 microsoft is gonna run a promo as well, buy a new X and get a free $60 game. so if you have an old XB1, PS4, or Pro sitting around and are thinking about getting an X it might be a good way to fund it. No discounts unfortunately on the X, so it'll be $499+tax.

the cool looking spiderman ps4 pro releases 9/7 (same day as game) but unfortunately no trade promos up for that yet.

• 1Like

flashr66

Blackwing Lair Raider
starting 8/8 gamestop is gonna run a trade promo, get $200 in TC when you trade in an orig XB1 towards an X or $250 for S/PS4 or $300 for PS4 Pro. Starting 8/10 microsoft is gonna run a promo as well, buy a new X and get a free $60 game. so if you have an old XB1, PS4, or Pro sitting around and are thinking about getting an X it might be a good way to fund it. No discounts unfortunately on the X, so it'll be $499+tax.

the cool looking spiderman ps4 pro releases 9/7 (same day as game) but unfortunately no trade promos up for that yet.

Is this for all states? Got a Xbox s I want to unload.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah should be for all states, you'll see the promo go live tomorrow on http://gamestop.com/trade but i'd wait until 8/10 since you'll get a free game with a new X purchase. You have to trade towards an X, ie trade in and buy an X in the same transaction and it would only work on one trade in console.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
definitely play hitman 1, its worth dropping a few bucks just to get game pass on alone

PS+ August:

PS4: Mafia 3 (nice!), Dead by Daylight, Here They Lie, Knowledge is Power
PS3: Bound by Flame, Serious Sam 3 BFE
Vita: Draw Slasher, Space Hulk

Here they Lie is also a PSVR game

Mafia 3 is really great, while it drags after 10 hours or so until the end its pretty interesting

Mafia 3 COULD have been great had they made any missions fun aside from the end of a territory take over. Everything else is bloatware mission structure doing the same exact thing..... every single time. Up until the very well done 5-6 hand crafted story missions in which you have to take out a boss of an area. At least they didn't cut half the game out and repackage as DLC like they did with 2, forcing Daniel Vavra to quit in disgust.

• 1Like

flashr66

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah should be for all states, you'll see the promo go live tomorrow on http://gamestop.com/trade but i'd wait until 8/10 since you'll get a free game with a new X purchase. You have to trade towards an X, ie trade in and buy an X in the same transaction and it would only work on one trade in console.

So I can't trade in two consoles. like a xbox s and base ps4 and get the deal?

spronk

FPS noob
So I can't trade in two consoles. like a xbox s and base ps4 and get the deal?

correct, one console only will get the bump. the trade's been live in store now for a day, $200 for a OG XB1, $250 for any S/PS4, and $300 for a PS4 Pro towards the purchase of an X. If you wait till tomorrow you'll get a free game with the purchase of an X too. Pretty good deal if you wanna move an old XB1 or PS4 towards an X, although honestly there isn't really any compelling reason to own an X other than multi plats will play slightly better on it than a Pro for the next 12-18 months.

Meanwhile Sony announces limited edition "translucent" PS4 Pro, only 50k will be made
Introducing the 500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro, Commemorating 500 Million Systems Sold

looks pretty goddamn ugly
maxresdefault.jpg

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll chalk it up to transparency not photographing well but I have zero care for limited edition console skins. If I have the console I'm not trading in and rebuying a new one. For someone who doesn't own one yet and didn't contribute to the first 500m sure go ahead and buy it as your first one if you like the look. But that shit is getting replaced by a PS5 in 3 years or less anyways.

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I will have to admit, I was upset when I bought my God of War Limited Edition PS4 Pro and it could not play 4k Blu-ray. spronk spronk , What is the reason the One X will only be better then the PS4 pro for the next 12-18 months, new consoles coming out or update???

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I think I might jump on that Gamespot deal and get rid of my older PS4 for $250 credit to the One X. Need to check out what games they have I want to play that might make it worth it. I still have a large catalog of PS4 games I am going to play as soon as I finish God of War, I think Horizon: Zero Dawn is next on the list, been sitting on my shelf for two weeks.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I will have to admit, I was upset when I bought my God of War Limited Edition PS4 Pro and it could not play 4k Blu-ray. spronk spronk , What is the reason the One X will only be better then the PS4 pro for the next 12-18 months, new consoles coming out or update???
I think he's just saying that nothing new is on the horizon for now and the One X is clearly more powerful than the Pro.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If only it didn't also have that terrible controller, I might consider getting one for multiplats and 4K blu-ray. I can't believe one of these companies like Scuf hasn't offered an xbone controller with the correct d-pad/left stick layout, especially since they DO offer an abomination of a DS4 controller that has had the reverse done to it. Makes me wonder if MS put something in the 'official licensed controller' contract that says they aren't allowed to change the design at all.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have an Elite that I use for my main PC gaming pad. It's awesome. The layout on the Xbox controller never really bothered me, though. I use both DS4 and Elite often.