The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
For God of War 2 probably won't hear anything till next year or closer too a PS5 street date, do we even know if they hired a new director yet ? or is Cory coming back?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
rumor is there are two big PS5 events in the next 2 weeks - TLOU2 gameplay next week (confirmed) then PS5 launch lineup a week or two after, probably June 6th, including

Silent Hill reboot
Gran Turismo 7
Horizon Zero Dawn 2
Demon Souls remaster
Ratchet and Clank (sequel?)
Godfall (already announced)

we kinda already know whats likely the XSEX lineup

halo infinite
forza motorsport 8
Perfect Dark
Scorn
Fable reboot
The Medium

Not super excited about either one tbh, need 2-3 more stellar games like God of War 2, Spiderman 2, etc

HZD 2, Silent Hill, and maybe Fable are all I'd probably be into. Demons Souls if its more than what the Dark Souls remaster was

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
HZD is the only thing that peeks my interest. Godfall originally got my attention but it looks pretty generic in its gameplay trailers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Demon's Souls remaster is all I'd really care about, but that isn't going to sell me a console. I'd wonder if they'd do a PC port.

That said, with the kids getting into gaming now, I'm sure their tastes will dictate what we get. For now, the switch is perfect. If Nintendo hits t he next console out of the park too, then we'll probably be more Nintendo. Only problem I see is our PS4 is our "media" machine. We don't have cable - so we use the PS4 for Netflix/Hulu/Twitch + Plex, which is running off my own homebrew server. If the PS5 has impressive media support going forward, I could see myself buying one.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I doubt they will. They never seem to support Dolby features like Atmos and vision.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even just the Roku built into my TV is better for Netflix/Prime/Hulu than both PS4 (no Dolby Vision at all) and X1X (shitty non-standard DV implementation that still doesn't work with many TVs). Once you throw Plex into the mix there's no contest at all between them and Roku, due to consoles' complete lack of support for DTS, not even passthrough. And for all the hype about X1X as a blu-ray player, that's actually rather disappointing as well seeing as the aforementioned shitty non-standard Dolby Vision is only for Netflix, Disney+ (funny, considering Disney is using fake HDR to begin with), and whatever else but does not work with DV discs.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
How about a Shield pro thingie? Upscales to 4k well, atmost too. Or so my friend says.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Horizon Zero Dawn 2 + Demon Souls remaster is a powerful combo, but more is needed

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If pressed I guess I’m mildly interested in Halo, HZD2, and fable. I liked HZD but felt like it was overhyped.

• 1Triggered

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Demon's Souls and HZD2 would get me to buy a PS5 for sure, but I don't see either of those being out this year so I won't lose too much sleep over waiting to buy the console until shortages end. After how Sony has handled the TLoU2 fiasco I'd really like to tell them to fuck off entirely, but I know that won't last a second past Demon's Souls re-release.

Don't care much about any of those MS games listed (maybe Scorn, but I'm skeptical about both it and The Medium), but will still buy a XSEX day 1 if I can get one preordered. Gamepass is enough of a reason to grab one right away, especially if I can manage to get rid of my X1X for more than I paid for it. There's a pretty good chance I'll double dip on Cyberpunk too, so that's another reason to upgrade from the X.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
How about a Shield pro thingie? Upscales to 4k well, atmost too. Or so my friend says.

I thought about getting a new one. If you need/want a media hub sorta deal they seem to get good reviews. And bonus you can stream from PC to TV pretty well, too.

I had the hand-held controller version of their Shield and it was awesome for streaming games to the TV (especially being portable, used to play GW2 on it while visiting inlaws out of town). When the screen broke completely on its own and having nothing to do with the angry pressure of my thumbs, I still had it plugged in and was using it as a media hub to good effect for a while when my old plasma TV apps started not being supported. So, I can vouche for their older version and the concept, at least, as it was cool little device that worked well.

I didn't get the latest generation because it seemed redundant as we have app-boxes x2 for every TV it seems between roku and smart TVs and consoles and BluRay players, and I personally just went lazymode x-box gamepass for gaming with a controller, so it works fine for our main media hub. Rarely I'll still sit at my computer like a punk when there isn't good controller support (or if I want to use my racing wheel). And the rat-race of trying to chase the latest tech for +1 better sound or picture isn't worth it anymore so netflix on my xbox or roku tv is whatever enough for us at this point.

Nvidia Shield seems redundant if you get consoles for gaming or are a hard-disk aficionado so have a decent bluray player as you'll have all the same apps and functionality except for streaming games to PC.

Maybe if you travel a lot and want something portable that isn't a big console or dealing with a phone? That was one of the nicest things about the Shield portable I had, could access apps and load a sim card with movies, plug it in with just a HD connection, and even play PC games if you set it up right and internet wasn't too spotty in the hotel. Then again, last time on a more extended trip I just took the xbox like a nerd and it wasn't too bad either, so, shrug, almost too many ways to do the same things these days.

• 1Mother of God

spronk

FPS noob
COD WWII is free with PS+ this month

its not bad but not as good as modern warfare in MP, SP campaign is decent and short

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
More on Series X backward compatibility

The team was not content to just rely on the increased hardware performance to improve your playing experience. The team developed new platform level capabilities to ensure all of your games continue to get even better. In partnership with the Xbox Advanced Technology Group, Xbox Series X delivers a new, innovative HDR reconstruction technique which enables the platform to automatically add HDR support to games. As this technique is handled by the platform itself, it allows us to enable HDR with zero impact to the game’s performance and we can also apply it to Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles developed almost 20 years ago, well before the existence of HDR.

In addition, the new Quick Resume feature was designed to not only work with new games, but it can also be enabled for backward-compatible titles. Quick Resume enables players to resume exactly where they left off, across multiple titles, ensuring gamers can get right back to the fun in an instant.

All of these advances happen at the platform level and require no additional work from title developers.​

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users