The Book of Boba Fett

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That seemed rather silly when watching it, but thinking more on it, what did Boba do in current Cannon to make him a great fighter?

In Clone Wars TV series and the prequals he was still a kid. The Clone Wars had some episodes of him under the tutelage of "evil" bounty hunters, but mostly to show him learning the ropes of a cutthroat underworld.

Is there anything else in current Cannon? The argument could be made that the Disney Boba Fett learned how to use the trinkets on Jango's armor and then just used his "fathers" reputation, as a great fighter, to get fame/jobs.

P.S. Disney tossing out so much material is annoying as it gave the world depth, even if I never touched the extended universe stuff.
that's sort of my overall point. in legends, boba fett is just a straight up badass legendary warrior, fighting jedi and sith alike without issue. but legends isn't canon anymore, so we're left with exactly what you just pointed out. it's like they wanted to go the extra mile to show that boba fett is significantly closer to dog the bounty hunter than seal team 6.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
that's sort of my overall point. in legends, boba fett is just a straight up badass legendary warrior, fighting jedi and sith alike without issue. but legends isn't canon anymore, so we're left with exactly what you just pointed out. it's like they wanted to go the extra mile to show that boba fett is significantly closer to dog the bounty hunter than seal team 6.

If only I was good at photoshop, so I could try to make a Boba "Dog" Fett the Bounty Hunter mashup.

For this show, the less legacy content you know/have consumed, the more enjoyable the show probably is. I didn't consume any of that legacy stuff, so I find it watchable, but it could have been so much more. The show could have kept him as a huge badass, but extremely hurt by the Sarlacc experience (such as his arm(s) and/or leg(s) were all fucked up). Then less Avatar/Dances with Wolves, and more Enemy Mine.

Alas, Disney hamstrings any direction I would have loved this show to go to. Boba could have been a great anti-hero, if they were given the freedom to go darker and more brutal. I'm thinking Netflix's Punisher type show, where he gets to still be the "good-guy" but willing to go head long into the gray areas. It would fit Boba, better than it fit the classic Punisher's Killem all attitude.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I liked that Tatooine having oceans in the past is now canon. The Tuskens are basically living in a post apocalyptic Mad Max scenario. It does seem implausible that they've managed to survive well enough this long without adapting to off worlder technology beyond blaster rifles and binoculars

They actively hated and destroyed technology in the legends stuff. I think that was based on some dialog from epIV, so I'm hanging onto it.

They're like post apocalyptic amish.

Mando could fight and he was fucking brutal.

Mando was raised by mandalorians and was trained. Boba never really got trained by jango. It's conceivable that he was always just a good gunfighter but not any good at hand to hand.

They should have just used Boba Fett in The Mandalorian to be honest.

I basically consider this to be a season of mandolorian. I think fans of the future will see it the same way. Especially since I think they said it's a 1 season show and we're getting it instead of mando right now.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I can't wait for ep3 of Boba Fett: Community Relations Manager to air.

htg.gif

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Alas, Disney hamstrings any direction I would have loved this show to go to. Boba could have been a great anti-hero, if they were given the freedom to go darker and more brutal. I'm thinking Netflix's Punisher type show, where he gets to still be the "good-guy" but willing to go head long into the gray areas. It would fit Boba, better than it fit the classic Punisher's Killem all attitude.

It would go to Amazon over Netflix. They just picked up MGM and have plenty more cash. Think Bezos might be a fan as well.

I don't see Netflix valuing the IP as much as Disney would want for an outright sale. Star Wars is very overvalued since the sequels. Maybe if Disney started licensing rights to shows, Netflix could do something. Fat chance though since they own a competing distribution platform.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
I mean, it's Star Wars. It's an IP primarily for 6-year olds and has been since 1977. Not sure what Netflix would want with it over Disney?

• 1Worf

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'm just happy that the actor that played Jango, Commander Cody, and a million more iterations of himself is still getting it done.

It's good. As expected.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean, it's Star Wars. It's an IP primarily for 6-year olds and has been since 1977. Not sure what Netflix would want with it over Disney?
If you could get some good writers and the willingness to do it, I would love to see an actual adult themed Star Wars. Imagine a kind of Game of Thrones involving the various factions in the Universe. Having each faction attempting control for their own motives with influences from the outside trying to maintain a balance, as a foundation for a long term story. You could use the Empire as the greater threat that looks to destroy all factions. It could be done but it would take some great writing and directing to pull it off.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Since its been around since 1977, there is surely an adult audience that wants and craves that type of show. They keep trying to bring in a new, younger audience with each iteration - and that may get them more product sales (action figures, plushy toys etc.) but its a pretty big disservice to the fan base thats been established multiple times since then. The only problem I could see would be marketing it to the right audience. I can just imagine now, the dark and gritty star wars gets released and Karen takes her kids to go see it and then is outraged that she didnt think the R rating would apply to Star Wars. Would have to be on the level of the in your face Dead Pool commercials that straight face said "this movie isnt for kids". Even then, I think they would still get backlash from the movie for the same reason. So maybe Mandalorian and Boba are just steps theyre taking towards that?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you could get some good writers and the willingness to do it, I would love to see an actual adult themed Star Wars. Imagine a kind of Game of Thrones involving the various factions in the Universe. Having each faction attempting control for their own motives with influences from the outside trying to maintain a balance, as a foundation for a long term story. You could use the Empire as the greater threat that looks to destroy all factions. It could be done but it would take some great writing and directing to pull it off.

George wanted to do something more mature in the Coruscant-based TV show he began doing test-shooting for right before he hit the brakes and decided to look for a sell.

The test footage looked fairly grimdark for Star Wars and seemed like it'd have a mature for TV tone. No indications it was the next GoT, but Lucas did come up with the idea for HBO series Rome. He didn't execute the idea, but it was his idea. He came up with the concept and floated it around Hollywood first. The Coruscant based TV show may have had some Rome-esque political angles, especially given the Prequels, and also how he had already came up with the idea for the perspective storytelling in Rome from the shopkeeper/commoners and then the elites. I think he would have taken Star Wars in a more serious direction had he went forward with full production on the TV show.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
original Star Wars was not made for babies, it was made for everyone. Mandolorian was made for everyone. i dont even think the prequels were made for babies. lets stop pushing this baby myth. Star Wars has always been a General Audiences IP. George slipped in Ewoks because he liked Ewoks, he thinks they're cool. had nothing to do with babies or toy sales. he like that goofy Jar Jar shit.

• 2Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor

Netflix's most popular property is aimed at an even younger age bracket than that.

When Clone Wars and the other SW shows ran on Netflix, they were massive too.

• 1Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
I enjoy the show, but that's mostly due to my love of the IP. And i consider this a differnt IP than the latest sequel trilogy. The throwback vibe is enough for me to look forward to the next episode. but that's it. I'm not impressed on wehre it's going so far. aside from Fett, the acting is barely above high school theater. the effects are lame. you can tell they aren't giving Favreau much to work with. i suspect we'll get something awesome again in the finale.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fucking A I was just about to download the first episode tonight and then MFF molotov's it.

We can't get a string of positive posts about this show.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It's kinda like boring dune without any intelligence. I personally can't hate it, but there's not much to like.

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't think it's as aggressively bad as some people are making it out to be but there isn't really much going for it either.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Fucking A I was just about to download the first episode tonight and then MFF molotov's it.

We can't get a string of positive posts about this show.
its not bad. i just dont like it because its boring and its all dances with wolves on Sand People. i am giving it til wednesday. if more of the same with no hint at what's going on. then i think i will skip out on it.