The Boys

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Mostly related because of the obvious inspiration behind Soldier Boy, but shortly after this came up in my Youtube feed:

Can also ruin it by dragging a 4-5 season story out for 8-10 years
For sure, I kind of spaced last night while working on something, because that was where I was heading. Season 3's effective reset means we're at the halfway point between targeted seasons, but the actual plot treaded water. There's only so much teasing of getting Homelander before it's downright stupid, and we kind of already saw that when Butcher had him dead to rights, only to throw it away on the weakest sell on who they were trying to build up (99% off screen in interviews and press releases) as "worse than Homelander."

What really took the cake for me was Homelander just walking right by Butcher in the end with his wife's son and disappearing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the final go against easily the greatest threat to the entire planet was brushed aside in favor of a guy who still has to walk everywhere.
well, i think with kripke we have supernatural as evidence that he sticks to plans regardless of how popular what he's working on is. with supernatural, he had a 5 year plan and he stuck to it, then he moved on. he was in sort of a consultant position i think until season 7 or 8? but he left supernatural after his 5 year plan despite the CW blatantly telling them all that they would renew the show indefinitely for as long as they wanted to keep doing it.

i don't like kripke as a person but i think we can trust what he says based on his track record. he'll do 5 seasons and move on. whether the show continues without him is a different issue and THAT'S when i think we'll see plotlines dragged out for too long
Good point. And I certainly recall a dramatic drop in quality for a while that lines up with around those seasons where he would have not been involved. I haven't seen the last few (several?), so I can't really say, but I'm glad they ended it when they did seeing the current state of CW.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Good point. And I certainly recall a dramatic drop in quality for a while that lines up with around those seasons where he would have not been involved. I haven't seen the last few (several?), so I can't really say, but I'm glad they ended it when they did seeing the current state of CW.
pretty much everyone agrees that the leviathan arc in supernatural was the worst, including jarod and jensen. i didn't 100% like the last season and the last episode was a lot to take in (you kinda hate it at first but after ruminating on it you end up being okay with it) but there were some genuinely good seasons in there. but yeah, when you have 15 seasons there are going to be plenty of bad episodes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I was starting to wonder if I should watch Supernatural, but 15 seasons? I had no idea it was around for that long.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I was starting to wonder if I should watch Supernatural, but 15 seasons? I had no idea it was around for that long.
It's worth watching the first five seasons for sure. It has a good story arc that comes to an end and is a good stopping point if you've had enough.

The later seasons have lots of amazing episodes mixed in. Similar to Stargate, Supernatural never took itself too seriously and had a lot of episodes that incorporated fun gimmicks or poked fun at itself.

It's a great show to toss on while you're cleaning or doing laundry or whatever.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Shows my Age. WB/CW/UPN/MynetworkTV/Whatever networks that were alwasy buying each other and being the broadcast alternative never had good shows when I was a teen. Just Steve Harvey and DL Hughly and shit, mixed with Wrestling and American gladiators rip offs with Terry Crews. I guess they had Buffy which got huge. Then they took off making shows the last 20 years after I got out of high school and I dont think ive ever even clicked past theyr channel. Supernatural, flash, Arrow shit, gossip girl and shit. Seems like they made some decent shit but it blows my mind how many seasons of these shows, and how many people watch them when I have zero cultrual awareness of them.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shows my Age. WB/CW/UPN/MynetworkTV/Whatever networks that were alwasy buying each other and being the broadcast alternative never had good shows when I was a teen. Just Steve Harvey and DL Hughly and shit, mixed with Wrestling and American gladiators rip offs with Terry Crews. I guess they had Buffy which got huge. Then they took off making shows the last 20 years after I got out of high school and I dont think ive ever even clicked past theyr channel. Supernatural, flash, Arrow shit, gossip girl and shit. Seems like they made some decent shit but it blows my mind how many seasons of these shows, and how many people watch them when I have zero cultrual awareness of them.
Remember back in the late 80's, early 90's, where you would get home from School (if you're in that age range) and watch like.. Fresh Prince or Full House or some shit? Some people are still in that mindset 20 years later. Hell, my fathers side of the family had a tradition of going to my grandma's for lunch, then sitting back in the living room and watching As The World Turns or some shit. In comparison, I havent had a subscription to Cable TV since... 2008, I think?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Okay, after this season it has to be said.

While the idea of having all the boys remain normies is interesting in theory, the show suffers greatly when they aren't all supes and season 3 proved that beyond a doubt. The best parts of the season were Butcher and Hughie going toe to toe with supes while on V and the hijinks that ensue like the naked teleporting. It would have been even better if MM and Frenchie could get in on the action. The whole show just doesn't make sense when it is about Butcher trying to kill Homelander but is utterly helpless against him for 99% of their interactions.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

While the idea of having all the boys remain normies is interesting in theory, the show suffers greatly when they aren't all supes and season 3 proved that beyond a doubt. The best parts of the season were Butcher and Hughie going toe to toe with supes while on V and the hijinks that ensue like the naked teleporting. It would have been even better if MM and Frenchie could get in on the action. The whole show just doesn't make sense when it is about Butcher trying to kill Homelander but is utterly helpless against him for 99% of their interactions.

I think that's what makes it compelling.

A group of regular dudes trying to kill God. Was hoping they'd come up with something better than "lol now we're all supes" or just taking his power away somehow with a deus ex kryptonite.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I think that's what makes it compelling.

A group of regular dudes trying to kill God. Was hoping they'd come up with something better than "lol now we're all supes" or just taking his power away somehow with a deus ex kryptonite.

Homelander is a god among the supes, though. The comic was still plenty compelling when the boys could stand toe to toe with medium strength supes while still having to connive around the most powerful ones.

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

season 1 is my favorite so far. a band of interesting misfits vs. a god..... high stakes and intense

season 3 final episode homelander got his ass kicked by maeve lol. all the good guys come out unscathed. /yawn

they need to get back to basics

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

season 1 is my favorite so far. a band of interesting misfits vs. a god..... high stakes and intense

season 3 final episode homelander got his ass kicked by maeve lol. all the good guys come out unscathed. /yawn

Making Homelander = to Maeve was so fucking stupid. Honestly hate that more than the fact that the season was almost a complete waste of time.

First season made it seem like they were setting it up for the rest of the 7 to team up against Homelander, which still had the odds stacked in Homelander's favor but gave a plausible way of defeating him while staying true to the story.

Instead, they just weakened Homelander out of nowhere because of shitty writers feels its more important to make a character a gay character a Mary Sue because wokeness than actually write a good story

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Do it! Gets a little dumb mid way through but then it gets back to demons and back on track.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Shows my Age. WB/CW/UPN/MynetworkTV/Whatever networks that were alwasy buying each other and being the broadcast alternative never had good shows when I was a teen. Just Steve Harvey and DL Hughly and shit, mixed with Wrestling and American gladiators rip offs with Terry Crews.

Homeboys in Outer Space was a better show than The Orville, change my mind.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Finished this season. Damn it was such an improvement over last season and then they ruined it with the finale. Fuck Ryan. Collateral damage to get rid of someone who's literally ok with watching the world burn. Will still tune in for next season but that finale was really disappointing after a mostly quality season.

Homsar

Season one was awesome, season 3 could have been on par or been the best season of a comic show ever but went full retard. Only reason I liked Maeve was her trying to kill homelander but instead they bitch out like superman

• 1Like

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Like a lot of things, the finale retroactively makes how and when they introduced Temp V look like a poor decision.

It put Butcher on a level where he was able to kill supes with his bare hands, and he had perhaps the single chance to take out Homelander, but he threw it away because Soldier Boy knocking Butcher's wife's kid out of the way was worth throwing away that entire opportunity and his top priority.

The cost is now he's on the clock unless taking Permanent V is able to convert him fully or some other out, but he's otherwise even worse off than season 1 as a regular human.

Hughie's case is almost as bad because Temp V turned out to only serve a subplot for him to stay being the show's beta male punching bag. Polar opposite to Butcher, Temp V actually made Hughie grow as a character, only for the writing room to declare that as being "toxic," so now he's back to being Starbucks Skeletor's guy who turns up the dimmer switches in the room.

Season 1 was the best for me as well because of the incredible odds staked against The Boys being normal humans against not only the most powerful supes on the planet, but perhaps the most powerful corporation in the world backing those supes up. So the introduction of Temp V should have had much more impact, taking the overarching narrative to the next level just like it would for the characters taking it. Instead, it was like Annie's light show where it teased a lot of potential, only to fall on its ass, along with all the pieces being left pretty much where they were from the start but kind of worse since we saw all that growth and potential get thrown in the gutter.
pretty much everyone agrees that the leviathan arc in supernatural was the worst, including jarod and jensen. i didn't 100% like the last season and the last episode was a lot to take in (you kinda hate it at first but after ruminating on it you end up being okay with it) but there were some genuinely good seasons in there. but yeah, when you have 15 seasons there are going to be plenty of bad episodes.
Seeing Jensen Ackles in this actually made me go back to do a rewatch from the beginning for old times sake, and so far on season 1 it reminded me of what a fun show it is to just have on in between things. However, I definitely remember the leviathan arc after thinking for a moment and that was pretty rough, although it doesn't help that the idea of "Leviathan" = regular guys in skin suits until they CGI'd them as a reveal was plain disappointing given the namesake. It's a shame that despite coming out after Buffy, they never really bothered with the practical effects in Supernatural because it could look stupidly bad even during its time.
Making Homelander = to Maeve was so fucking stupid. Honestly hate that more than the fact that the season was almost a complete waste of time.

First season made it seem like they were setting it up for the rest of the 7 to team up against Homelander, which still had the odds stacked in Homelander's favor but gave a plausible way of defeating him while staying true to the story.

Instead, they just weakened Homelander out of nowhere because of shitty writers feels its more important to make a character a gay character a Mary Sue because wokeness than actually write a good story
The best justification for that stint that I've read is that Homelander was holding back because he didn't want to wreck Maeve as a callback to him saying he'd harvest her eggs. But hypothetically if that was the case, then they needed to first sell him holding back a lot better, and two, it still doesn't remotely excuse that she could make him bleed or stab him in the ear with a pen.

Is one plan going to be to Translucent Homelander's ear canal? Not only did they mess around with power levels for plot to an insane degree, but they inadvertently created a really dumb gap in his armor in the process. The finale left everything totally uneven to where nothing really matters anymore so long as the plot precedes any previously established logic.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
I like that they just call him 'Negan' now. Congrats on being reduced to a guy from a crap show. It's the equivalent to a game of thrones actor now.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

I like that they just call him 'Negan' now. Congrats on being reduced to a guy from a crap show. It's the equivalent to a game of thrones actor now.
The dude spent most of his career just being a corpse on NCIS shows didn't he? I will always think of him as The Comedian in Watchmen.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I don't even think Jeffrey Dean Morgan thinks of himself as 'lead actor from The Losers', or 'One of the many Thomas Waynes killed off in movies over the years' - something like 99.9% of the populace knows him from The Walking Dead.