The Boys

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No it fucking wasn't. Take it from an actual English person, if he was trying to do a cockney accent then he failed.

Fucking Don Cheadle in Ocean's 11 did a better job of doing a noticeably cockney accent. I genuinely had no idea Butcher was meant to be cockney

Let me guess, you probably think this is a good effort too

i mean, this is a silly thing to get upset about but whatever. idris elba is cockney. he's legitimately cockney in that he was born and raised within earshot of the bells of st. mary-le-bow. but you get people who haven't grown up hearing that accent everyday and they just do a michael caine impression with cockney rhyme and move on. it's like doing an impression of sean connery and saying you're doing a glasgowegian accent.

so is it decent in the sense that people NOT really familiar with an actual cockney accent? yeah it's fine. what the cockney accent represents and what it actually is are two different things really. people relate cockney accent to blue collar everyman, the same way people NOT from new york consider the new york accent the blue collar everyman. it's not really, but that's what people hear.

j00t

Butcher and Frenchie are supposed to sound a certain way. Frenchie in the comics is always known to not be french and butcher is known to sound like a shitty Michael caine. It's mentioned in the comics.

Quit bitching about their accent
i wasn't bitching. i was absolutely fine with their accents. i kind of figured that was the joke with frenchie.

Oldbased

> Than U
I don't think it is the fact this is so terribly good but rather the shit we've had as of late has been so terribly bad.

j00t

I don't think it is the fact this is so terribly good but rather the shit we've had as of late has been so terribly bad.

i think it's both. i've been catching up on some older shows that i never got around to that have all been really pretty good. but this is fresh. it's a new idea on an old trope and it hit at the perfect time with the MCU finishing up end game. don't get me wrong, all the mcu movies have been pretty great (captain marvel excluded) but we've just been getting so many superhero movies and shows that it's hard to get excited like i used to.

and then the writing and the characters are so good. homelander could have been pretty one dimensional but the way he was written and acted gave him some pretty extreme depth. he's got some of the least screentime but he might just be the most fleshed out character.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
i mean, this is a silly thing to get upset about but whatever.

Are you British? Because if not then you have no idea what you're talking about.

And Elba being from east London does not mean his accent is cockney. Not with the various multi cultural influences on the accent/dialect

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Are you British? Because if not then you have no idea what you're talking about.

And Elba being from east London does not mean his accent is cockney. Not with the various multi cultural influences on the accent/dialect
idris elba absolutely is cockney. if you are raised within earshot of the bow-bells, you're cockney. he was. i don't know how to tell you any different. so if you refuse to accept reality just on principle of me not being british then there isn't really any reason to continue this discussion.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oye

if ya'll gonna bitch about these accents, at least give us a reference point

story-27770-27770-xlarge.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Listening to British people try to convince everyone else that there is some real distinction between different British accents always reminds me of listening to Asians try to convince everyone else theres some real distinction between different Asian ethnicities.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

it's a silly derail. i'm aware.

so uh. what do you think gus has on homelander? you think it's just the fear of a stern grandfather type figure or something more substantial? you think homelander is juicing on compound V and that's where he's getting it?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Maybe they built in a killswitch of some sort in his brain. Either an implanted microchip bomb or hypnotic commands?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
idris elba absolutely is cockney. if you are raised within earshot of the bow-bells, you're cockney. he was. i don't know how to tell you any different. so if you refuse to accept reality just on principle of me not being british then there isn't really any reason to continue this discussion.

So that's a no then.

I mean seriously, this is peak FOH stupidity - almost on a par with Lithose Lithose saying he knows more about UK politics than me because he reads magazines/newspapers.

Just because someone is born in a certain location does not mean that he has the accent of that location. Cockney yes comes from the East End of London, just like Idis Elba, but traditionally Cockney refers to the white working class and is a dialect/accent associated with that group. Both Elba's parents are from Africa, hence his speech/accent was influenced growing up just as much by theirs as it was his surroundings.

You know who else is from East London? This guy

You know what he's speaking? Not Cockney - but a more "urban" / youth / ethnic / minority way of speaking called Roadman - here's a primer

And here's Idris Elba with a guide to British slang

Now the British slang in the Elba vid has more in common with the roadman slang of the second video (although he does give a history lesson on cockney rhyming slang midway through -doesn't change the fact most of the slang is roadman). Oh and his actual accent in the video does not resemble cockney.

The point I'm making is that just because someone was born in the traditional cockney area does not mean their accent is fucking cockney.

Now take your lesson and fuck off

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Wrong. This is fucking awesome.

And why is Ossoi shitting up another thread with stupid bullshit?

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

j00t

So that's a no then.

I mean seriously, this is peak FOH stupidity - almost on a par with Lithose Lithose saying he knows more about UK politics than me because he reads magazines/newspapers.

Just because someone is born in a certain location does not mean that he has the accent of that location. Cockney yes comes from the East End of London, just like Idis Elba, but traditionally Cockney refers to the white working class and is a dialect/accent associated with that group. Both Elba's parents are from Africa, hence his speech/accent was influenced growing up just as much by theirs as it was his surroundings.

You know what he's speaking? Not Cockney - but a more "urban" / youth / ethnic / minority way of speaking called Roadman - here's a primer

Now the British slang in the Elba vid has more in common with the roadman slang of the second video (although he does give a history lesson on cockney rhyming slang midway through -doesn't change the fact most of the slang is roadman). Oh and his actual accent in the video does not resemble cockney.

The point I'm making is that just because someone was born in the traditional cockney area does not mean their accent is fucking cockney.

Being wrong really bothers you doesn't it

If you MUST continue pm me. Otherwise stop. No one cares about the accents but you

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Being wrong really bothers you doesn't it

And the prospect you might be wrong really bothers you, hence why you replied before watching any of the videos.

It's fine, stick your head in the sand a bit more. If videos are too hard for you then there's always Multicultural London English - Wikipedia

"speakers of MLE come from a wide variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and live in diverse inner-city neighbourhoods such as Brent, Lambeth and Hackney. As a result, it can be regarded as a multiethnolect "

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Wrong. This is fucking awesome.

And why is Ossoi shitting up another thread with stupid bullshit?

2 people going back and forth autistically and neither can accept they might be wrong. As is typical here this is another example of a non-Brit attempting to argue with an actual Brit about something involving Britain that a non-native can not know as well as the Brit.

I can tell a Boston accent, I can recognise a US Southern accent, I can recognise a redneck accent. I can recognise the way they say "Owt" in Canada and not "Out". This passing knowledge does not mean I can distinguish one US Southern state from another or any of the other intricate details or sub regional dialects of those accents.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So that's a no then.

Another example. Ossoi was raped 3-4 years ago now by me, and still tags me with these passive aggressive posts to try and alter the past. He's repeated this line, despite being inaccurate, for years now hoping he can alter the memory of how badly he was humiliated. It doesn't seem to have worked thus far. How sad.

Maybe Ossoi Ossoi , Xevy Xevy and Lendarios Lendarios can form a little therapy circle to get over their trauma. Like the people whining about superheroes did, to try and sort their feelings about why they were angry and humiliated but also still infatuated with said heroes. It might help more, little buddy!

Oh dear. Guys, you can't comment on any media that has anything to do with Britain...Ossoi is very sensitive toward it.

• 2Like
  • 1Ice Burn
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I finished this over the weekend and haven't read much of this thread. I absolutely loved every minute of the show, and I had no knowledge at all of the source material. I have three questions:

- Could all the supes be killed by sticking explosives up their butts, including Homelander?
- Does Homelander have super speed?
- Is Butcher's accent authentic?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I finished this over the weekend and haven't read much of this thread. I absolutely loved every minute of the show, and I had no knowledge at all of the source material. I have three questions:

- Could all the supes be killed by sticking explosives up their butts, including Homelander?
- Does Homelander have super speed?
- Is Butcher's accent authentic?
Probably not.
Yes.
Only if you're a True Briton.

• 2Like