The Boys

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
he is a kiwi, that's his natural accent. the accent in the show was cockney, and it was decent. a few times he'd dip into his natural accent here and there but most people wouldn't notice that he switched accents, just that his overall accent is a little odd

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Even Shue was excellent in this. You could see how she cringed and afraid of this homelander dick. Also being a corporate bitch. Im kinda sad to see her go.

i thought she was his "mommy" for a while, like he wanted to suck on her titty milk and was jealous of her new kid for taking her place. that relationship was great though, they were just so weird together and their scenes together in the finale were fantastic.

did they ever reveal who the daddy of her baby was? i wonder. also did that baby survive? i can't see homelander giving two shits about him, which basically means Butcher murdered a baby.

• 2Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know I'm a few days late on this discussion, but since I've been on a few flights in my day, and I slept at a Holiday Inn Express once...

On commercial flights in the US, there has to be at least two people in the cockpit at all times. So when one pilot has to piss, they block the aisle with the food cart and empty out the front lavatories so no one is hidden in them, and the pilot uses one of those while a flight attendant stands watch. Furthermore, another flight attendant HAS to go into the cockpit and lock the door behind them during that time. If they only have rear lavatories, obviously they adjust slightly, but same concept.

To talk about the show some more, as I said before, I loved Homelander's laser vision, except the very first time they showed it. If you remember, he melted that thug's gun while the thug was still holding it and waving it around some. It made it seem way more "Superman-ish" than later depictions of his vision. The guy should have jerked his hand back because it got hot, and then since the heat vision wasn't on the gun anymore, it sliced his fucking hand off or something. And since immediately after that Homelander tossed a guy hundreds of feet in the air to smash-land on a car (clearly dead), it isn't like they were trying to make us think Homelander was all goody-two-shoes at that point, or playing for the cameras even. Was just weird to me that he did the dumb "melt the gun" trope.

However, that scene also gave us the fucking phenomenal one of Maeve smashing the truck to pieces. That was the best fucking depiction I've ever seen of that sort of thing, and I watched it multiple times just because it was so awesome. Granted, the physics of it are completely fucking ridiculous unless she has some sort of additional power like Blob from X-Men where once he plants his feet he can't be moved, but obviously we aren't dealing with normal physics in some of these scenes. It was so fucking awesome that I don't care what it defied.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
i love how unabashedly you wave your fanboy flag man. great to see adults have some joy in their life.

• 2Like

j00t

I know I'm a few days late on this discussion, but since I've been on a few flights in my day, and I slept at a Holiday Inn Express once...

On commercial flights in the US, there has to be at least two people in the cockpit at all times. So when one pilot has to piss, they block the aisle with the food cart and empty out the front lavatories so no one is hidden in them, and the pilot uses one of those while a flight attendant stands watch. Furthermore, another flight attendant HAS to go into the cockpit and lock the door behind them during that time. If they only have rear lavatories, obviously they adjust slightly, but same concept.

To talk about the show some more, as I said before, I loved Homelander's laser vision, except the very first time they showed it. If you remember, he melted that thug's gun while the thug was still holding it and waving it around some. It made it seem way more "Superman-ish" than later depictions of his vision. The guy should have jerked his hand back because it got hot, and then since the heat vision wasn't on the gun anymore, it sliced his fucking hand off or something. And since immediately after that Homelander tossed a guy hundreds of feet in the air to smash-land on a car (clearly dead), it isn't like they were trying to make us think Homelander was all goody-two-shoes at that point, or playing for the cameras even. Was just weird to me that he did the dumb "melt the gun" trope.

However, that scene also gave us the fucking phenomenal one of Maeve smashing the truck to pieces. That was the best fucking depiction I've ever seen of that sort of thing, and I watched it multiple times just because it was so awesome. Granted, the physics of it are completely fucking ridiculous unless she has some sort of additional power like Blob from X-Men where once he plants his feet he can't be moved, but obviously we aren't dealing with normal physics in some of these scenes. It was so fucking awesome that I don't care what it defied.

i think the whole point of melting the gun is to be a slow burn on homelander being psychotic. like, lasers come from off screen, aimed at the gun. we automatically compare this to superman doing the same thing and we subconsciously prep ourselves for that kind of character. then, the lasers keep melting the gun. it's not explicitly shown, but it's definitely happening. the metal is melting around the dude's hand, but homelander doesn't stop. the gun just... melts around the dude's hand. all the while homelander is sitting there smiling to the good citizens of new york.

it took the trope of disarming the bad guy and literally disarmed the bad guy.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Even Shue was excellent in this. You could see how she cringed and afraid of this homelander dick. Also being a corporate bitch. Im kinda sad to see her go.

Yeah, especially in the scene in the final episode where Homelander tells her he is the one that gave Compound V to the terrorists, and she turns around and starts making out with him. You can see this look in her eyes that is both like terror and like numb acceptance, the look of someone who has been stuck in situations like that for a very long time. I've been impressed with her a season, but there was something about that moment right there, how well she played the facial expressions of a woman trapped in a relationship like that, that sealed my impression of her acting skillz.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i thought she was his "mommy" for a while, like he wanted to suck on her titty milk and was jealous of her new kid for taking her place.

She was both man, that's what's so fucked up about it. She was stuck in this situation with this manchild and basically gave him an Oedipal complex as her means to control him.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Spreading my damn hole? Looks like he's on board boys!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ladro

Anomaly
I'm actually impressed at how damn good this show was. It seems like in the age of streaming, we're fed a lot of mediocre content just to get it out there. Case in point - Another Life is a fucking terrible show with the same level of production value. This one was so damn good it really stands above a lot of the literal shit out there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finished up this morning with this. Goddamn that was a great last episode and a great lead in to another season. Literally just 8 great episodes in a row with no slowdown at all, hah.

• 2Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
that was actually was made me recognize him. i had NO idea who it was but i recognized his mouth... i was like "i haven't seen a mouth that weird since... OMG IT'S THE DUDE FROM BANSHEE"

Wife noticed the same thing, called him Mushmouth.

Banshee is easily one of the top hidden gems of TV shows, he was AWESOME in that too as a sort of fake hero (criminal pretending to be the local Sheriff)

Here he is 'arresting' an MMA rapist :p

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
the accent in the show was cockney, and it was decent

No it fucking wasn't. Take it from an actual English person, if he was trying to do a cockney accent then he failed.

Fucking Don Cheadle in Ocean's 11 did a better job of doing a noticeably cockney accent. I genuinely had no idea Butcher was meant to be cockney

Let me guess, you probably think this is a good effort too

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

j00t

uh. no it absolutely wasn't australian. he's doing a poor man's michael caine.

• 1Like

Homsar

No it fucking wasn't. Take it from an actual English person, if he was trying to do a cockney accent then he failed.

Fucking Don Cheadle in Ocean's 11 did a better job of doing a noticeably cockney accent. I genuinely had no idea Butcher was meant to be cockney

Let me guess, you probably think this is a good effort too

So what is Frenchie?

j00t

So what is Frenchie?

the dude who plays frenchie is israeli and as best as i can tell, he's using his own accent in the show? it's definitely not a french accent. i haven't heard much israeli dialects though so i can't tell if he's TRYING to have a french accent and failing or just using his own.

Homsar

the dude who plays frenchie is israeli and as best as i can tell, he's using his own accent in the show? it's definitely not a french accent. i haven't heard much israeli dialects though so i can't tell if he's TRYING to have a french accent and failing or just using his own.
Butcher and Frenchie are supposed to sound a certain way. Frenchie in the comics is always known to not be french and butcher is known to sound like a shitty Michael caine. It's mentioned in the comics.

Quit bitching about their accent