The Boys

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Amazon has been cranking out some really great stuff for years now. It's weird how they get so little recognition for it while Netflix spews out endless sewage.

To be fair... When people think Amazon, they are not thinking of their shows. That said, they have won quite a few awards for some of their shows. Getting The Expanse was a big win, not only because it is a great show, but the hype surrounding it give them much needed attention. Netflix does pretty much one thing, and people still tend to think of them as a go to as they have set a standard. Aslo, Netflix has a clunky shitty UI that is better than most streaming services clunky shitty UIs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I think Amazon needs to completely rework their app/interface, because it's hot garbage. And yeah, as much as I dislike the Netflix UI, it's light years better. But I do think Amazon has gotten more recognition when it comes to their shows recently. Fleabag, Undone, Homecoming, this show, The Expanse, Good Omens, there's several others that's just the top of my head and each is a great show. imo they've got to solve their interface problem at some point though, shit is unbelievably bad

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah I think Amazon needs to completely rework their app/interface, because it's hot garbage. And yeah, as much as I dislike the Netflix UI, it's light years better. But I do think Amazon has gotten more recognition when it comes to their shows recently. Fleabag, Undone, Homecoming, this show, The Expanse, Good Omens, there's several others that's just the top of my head and each is a great show. imo they've got to solve their interface problem at some point though, shit is unbelievably bad
does netflix fuck you if you don't use hdmi? lulz i had amazon on old computer and it said something like can't stream hd to non hdmi computer, bumping down to 480p

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Netflix's autoplay preview (when scrolling through shows) hangs up and lags out my NVidia Shield. Whats that Netflix? I want to take 10 seconds to read the words you put on the screen for that show, nope, looks like I'm sitting here for 30 seconds waiting for the fucking trailer to load up and force me to watch 10-15 seconds before I can move on...

I hate it so much I avoid browsing and only use Netflix if I know they have something I want to watch. I would rather Netflix had Amazon's UI, than Amazon have Netflix's auto-preview UI.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Netflix's autoplay preview (when scrolling through shows) hangs up and lags out my NVidia Shield. Whats that Netflix? I want to take 10 seconds to read the words you put on the screen for that show, nope, looks like I'm sitting here for 30 seconds waiting for the fucking trailer to load up and force me to watch 10-15 seconds before I can move on...

I hate it so much I avoid browsing and only use Netflix if I know they have something I want to watch. I would rather Netflix had Amazon's UI, than Amazon have Netflix's auto-preview UI.
The auto preview thing is gross. Nobody asked for that shit. I get the thinking, your customer is just surfing throughwith nothing in particular in mind to watch, the clip entices them to watch whatever show they would have otherwise just scrolled past. But the reality is people just scroll faster so the preview/play shit doesn't kick in. And that's assuming it works correctly, unlike your situation.

The Amazon UI is exactly what you would imagine a Walmart or whatever UI would be like. Like, just google "amazon prime originals" and hit the first link, it's like an Amazon search page rather than a streaming service. And the UI on the Fire devices isn't better. It's further complicated by the mix of Prime content and paid content and content from other services, makes it difficult to find anything non-specific within their UI. Their UI just looks like Bezos told his developers "show me what Sunken Cost Fallacy looks like". a

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Prime Video has, by far, the worst UI. They want you to ask Alexa to search for you rather than just giving you a button for genre/subgenre.

Actually none of the streaming services have subgenres on those stick apps. They exist if you use Netflix on your computer, for instance, but no way to do it with a FireTV or on a PS4. It's actually infuriating if you ever use a tablet or computer to watch Netflix but then try to browse the same way on something you normally want to watch things on... like a TV. Like some developer decided to make it easier to click to find shit on a device that actually has a keyboard to make manual searches easier, but said "Hey, when they don't have a keyboard let's also take away all decent clicking options as well".

But goddamn, Prime doesn't even have a genre option. It actually works okay if you use their remote and ask Alexa but it's so counter-intuitive to not have an option you can click on manually.

Also, why the fuck is FireTV literally the worst stream stick option available? With no support for ANY cable streaming apps? And most Network TV apps don't even work properly with FireTV. FOX and all the affiliate FOX apps (like FOX Sports) won't even load for me. They just give me a "No Network Connection Found" error.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Also, why the fuck is FireTV literally the worst stream stick option available? With no support for ANY cable streaming apps? And most Network TV apps don't even work properly with FireTV. FOX and all the affiliate FOX apps (like FOX Sports) won't even load for me. They just give me a "No Network Connection Found" error.
Same reason FireTV didn't have a Youtube app until this summer, and why they were threatening not to have Disney+. They're fighting a 2 front war by virtually giving these things away to consumers and then on the backend they're pushing competition out as much as possible. Haven't had the issue with apps not working, but the other stuff, they're just sttrategizing for a future where steaming is more silod, which we are fast approaching.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Which is a terrible approach in a market where there are so many options, especially when they offer the worst streaming service.

HAHA! Think you'll get live TV and sports from your cable provider via their streaming service that you already pay for?! Think again! Pay for ours! Even though there are a plethora of other stream stick options that don't try to nickle and dime you like this!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Hate to say it, but that's on your end bro. My new and old Shield (unfortunately) show that auto preview just perfectly. I wish they included a fucking option to turn it off, of course, but in the several years I've owned a Shield, it has never had a problem with that feature of Netflix. Maybe check that your updates are current?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hate to say it, but that's on your end bro. My new and old Shield (unfortunately) show that auto preview just perfectly. I wish they included a fucking option to turn it off, of course, but in the several years I've owned a Shield, it has never had a problem with that feature of Netflix. Maybe check that your updates are current?

Auto updates are on, so everything should be current. It only happens if I slow down to try to read the little mini synopsis, but if I scroll fast enough, it will only hang up occasionally (usually when I hit one of their original series). I guess it could be a remote issue, it's overly sensitive at times, and maybe it just stops sending commands when there have been too many commands issued in X amount of seconds. I guess I will pair the game controller back up to the Shield, now that I have a $5 Steam controller for PC, and see if anything changes.

The Amazon Fire stick does the same thing on Netflix, to a lesser degree, but I guess it has some remote issues, as well.

I guess the new version of Kodi will have Netflix with custom skins, and the autoplay preview can be stopped that way. It's on the beta nightly builds atm.

As an aside, Amazon just updated their app today (on the Fire stick), and took some inspiration from Netflix. When you scroll to their original series, it autoplays a preview....

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The boys are supposed to be at a convention nearby later this year. Hoping it doesn't get canceled by the kung flu.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The boys are supposed to be at a convention nearby later this year. Hoping it doesn't get canceled by the kung flu.
Goddammit. I thought the new season was being released early due to coronachan.

• 2Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Oh shit i didn't realize the thread was so old. I'm getting caught up on seldom viewed threads right now.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Goddammit. I thought the new season was being released early due to coronachan.

God damn it you replied again I saw it in the new threads and got a half-chub

Now I'm doing it too. Fuck

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good news, the show comes back September 4th. Bad news, they are doing weekly releases instead of binge release.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good news, the show comes back September 4th. Bad news, they are doing weekly releases instead of binge release.

Read they would release 3 episode on premier and the go weekly, still sucks

• 2Rustled

Cybsled

I think the binge “whole season at once” thing is slowly going to go away. Weekly releases create metered “must see TV”, which allows discussion and hyping up a show. When everything is dumped at once, you lose a lot of that

• 1Like