The Boys

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea for some reason there is this strange lack of direction or purpose. Each character "plot" feels like a contained event. Homelander and Stormfront stuff has little effect on anything else. Hughie and Starlight outed compound V but other than that its meh. Frenchie and Kimoko, who cares. Butcher and his wife....yawn. The Deep and Scientology? lame.

I can keep going but I dont want to. Im actually sad this season is turning out like this. Maybe last few episodes will deliver?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yea for some reason there is this strange lack of direction or purpose. Each character "plot" feels like a contained event. Homelander and Stormfront stuff has little effect on anything else. Hughie and Starlight outed compound V but other than that its meh. Frenchie and Kimoko, who cares. Butcher and his wife....yawn. The Deep and Scientology? lame.

I can keep going but I dont want to. Im actually sad this season is turning out like this. Maybe last few episodes will deliver?

I wouldn't even care if a bunch of cool super shit was going down but I feel like i'm watching a daytime soap with poor writing and no twists

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Weekly episodes can work if the season is written for the format, but I get the impression they had no idea until later on that amazon would switch how its released.

I expect the action will pick up sharply in the final episodes.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is the impression I am getting. This feels like it was meant to be viewed as a whole, rather than weekly.

I am waiting for the payoff that involves Supes actually fighting each other to the death. The Boys taking V and getting powers of their own to fight the supes also works. I am tired of the " Making a movie" scenes. I find myself fast forwarding through any part that revolves around the production of the movie. I hope Homelander at some point cracks and destroys the entire movie set.

The scene where Homelander just strafed the entire group of protestors with his laser beam eyes, was one of the best scenes this season. Then Homelander woke up. I am hoping the scene was a prelude to another where he actually does crack. He looks just about ready to go over the edge. I suppose that is another payoff that would make the season a little worth the wait. In fact, the audience having to wait every week does have a bit of a "Homelander going a little bit closer to wanting to kill things" feel to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm absolutely loving this season. Not as much as Season 1 but it's still been fantastic in my opinion.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

Cybsled

Weekly episodes can work if the season is written for the format, but I get the impression they had no idea until later on that amazon would switch how its released.

I expect the action will pick up sharply in the final episodes.

This is highly likely. Every streaming service seems to be experimenting with different show release ideas. Disney+ pushed for that with Mandolorian with 1 episode per week, Raised by Wolves seems to be a double drop every weekly, Netflix and Amazon have been doing "half season now, half season later" drops for some shows. CBS All Access went weekly.

Beyond the subscription motive, the bigger advantage is the show stays in the public's mind longer. This creates discussion, which generates fandom and anticipation. You sort of lose that when you just dump everything out in one load.

I see the "drip model" with flagship shows and the dump model for everything else becoming the norm.

Caliane

yeah.. like the doppleganger shit. I thought at first it was going to be a bit of plot. homelander is hallucinating mommy. Which, to us would just make him look even more crazy. But, then could be actually be him getting Gaslighted by a psychic pokemon. something that could be revealed years from now. Homelander being nuts, could have been him getting mindfucked by someone. but nope. no big story. just a one off.

Jozu

Homelander is such a good actor it covers for a good amount of the nonsense this season. (him fucking doppelganger, stupid emotional vulnerability shit etc) But at some point shit needs to start happening. I guess it has all just been setting up all the pieces, but it has been extremely disappointing as of yet. It could get gnarly the last few episodes so Ill hold out hope.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This season isnt bad, it's just boring. There are some bright spots, like the black noir fight scene this latest episode, but mostly I find myself fighting the urge to fast forward. Like with all the Stormfront/Starlight pussy wagging crap.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Even though the pacing is slow, and thats probably because this dumb idea to release every episode weekly, I still am really enjoying the show. The storyline with the Deep is hilarious.

• 1Like

Jozu

The end to Black Noir fight was pathetic and dumb.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Right, not sure what you expected. He's bulletproof, explosion-proof, super strong, runs faster than a car and all that while being a ninja. What did you expect to happen?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He obviously expected The Boys to find some magical way to thwart and defeat him even though the entire point of that scene was to show how completely hopeless The Boys actually are against real supes in their current state

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think the point of the scene was to show that Butcher only fully functions when he's trying to save someone or avenge them. He goes from mopey suicidal martyr to cocksure badass the moment that Hughie is about to get his head ripped off.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i honestly thought with all the build up of butchers little brother it was gonna turn out that black noir is his brother and he would do some weird shit to "calm" butcher down and he'd join the team. i'm glad they didn't go that super cringe tropey route, but they have got to be building that storyline out for some reason, since they literally forced a cut the moment the aunt was gonna reveal what killed Lenny

butchers plan seems idiotic at best, voight is the kind of company that can digitally go in and erase your "cloud" files, I guess Fring is somehow counting on this reveal in his plans and wants to time it right.

Jozu

Thats what I met when I said the end of the fight with Noir was lame. Not that I expected the Boys to win the fight on their terms or something, Im talking about the reason itself.

Wait dont kill us, I have compromising pictures of Homelanders kid!

Hey, what do you know it worked. Lol.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even though the pacing is slow, and thats probably because this dumb idea to release every episode weekly, I still am really enjoying the show. The storyline with the Deep is hilarious.
First season pace felt like they were going to knock the series out in three seasons. This season feels like they want to milk it for 8. Episodes are individually good but the dramatic slow down of the pace feels weird.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users