The Boys

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
There's only 3 episodes left in the season and it feels like nothing at all has happened this season.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
my assumption, is that it was filmed with the understanding it would drop all at once. they finished filming (from what i understand) right around the beginning of the year. i wonder if covid screwed up post production and in order to completely finish everything it would have delayed the release, so amazon just started dropping them one at a time just to get it out.

the individual episodes are entertaining, but there's no bomb under the table. there doesn't seem to be anything that's driving to the finale.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I don't see how binge watching stupid cunts being bitches to each other for hours on end would be any better than weekly installments. Boring is boring.

j00t

I don't see how binge watching stupid cunts being bitches to each other for hours on end would be any better than weekly installments. Boring is boring.
on paper, you're right. boring is boring. in reality, though... binge watching a show vs weekly episodes does have an effect on how the viewer processes it. if something is designed to be watched several hours at a time (2-3 episodes a sitting), then you don't have "filler episodes," you have "filler moments." and a lot of those moments might just be foreshadowing something that doesn't show up for an episode or two and it comes together nicely. vs watching weekly and having 1/4 of your episode being something like the movie studio stuff. the payoff is going to be maeve doing SOMETHING but we're not going to see that for another couple episodes (weeks) so it just feels like it's dragging on.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
on paper, you're right. boring is boring. in reality, though... binge watching a show vs weekly episodes does have an effect on how the viewer processes it. if something is designed to be watched several hours at a time (2-3 episodes a sitting), then you don't have "filler episodes," you have "filler moments." and a lot of those moments might just be foreshadowing something that doesn't show up for an episode or two and it comes together nicely. vs watching weekly and having 1/4 of your episode being something like the movie studio stuff. the payoff is going to be maeve doing SOMETHING but we're not going to see that for another couple episodes (weeks) so it just feels like it's dragging on.

Even if I could binge watch this show I'd watch all the other good entertainment I have first. This is definitely fallen into the bucket of last resort. It was good last season so I'm hoping it will get good this season. I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat to see the next episode though. Miss a week, who cares? Pause the episode so I can do something equally fun like yard work or the dishes, sure why not.

Plenty of weekly shows don't make me feel so indifferent.

j00t

yeah, i admit that this season has a totally different pacing than the first season. a HUGE draw of the first season was "omg, can you believe how screwed up these superheroes are?!"
there's a lot of draw on that in this season, but it's nothing particularly new. we KNOW homelander is a sociopath and while antony starr is KILLING it, he's not doing anything unexpected. in season 1, the deep's story was legitimately interesting and really well written. they showed him to immediately be a horrible human being with no redeeming qualities, and then by the end of the season you genuinely feel for the guy. this season, it just feels like "hey, we're paying that dude to be the deep... we should, maybe have him do something?"

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Entire season would have been redeemed if Home lander eye beaming the crowd hadn't been a daydream.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
When that happened, the second it started I thought "Oh well there goes the entire theme" and then they daydreamed it. What're they gonna do after he massacres 100 people? Just make him evil Superman and have people try and team up to fight him? Then it's just fucking anime at that point.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You don’t just have someone go psycho in a single episode, unless you’re game of thrones season 8

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This season isn't bad. its just too fucking muddled to be good. There is just way too much shit going on simultaneously which is the opposite of S1 and what made the first season a tightly wound success.

The entire Deep subplot is killing me. I know that it is all about introducing this cult (notice the tie in with Stormfront). But it is sucking up waaaaay too much screentime.
The French guy and the asian killer chick. Again I know this subplot is leading someplace, but fuck it is taking forever to get where it needs to be.
A-Train. Again tooo fucking long to get to the payout.
Maeve and the lesbo girlfriend. At least this one is beginning to hit the ground where she is motivated to go after Homelander.

This still leaves the important shit...
Homelander and Stormfront
Huey and Starlight
Compound V
Vought imploding
Butcher and Becca and Superboy
The crew investigating Liberty the Nazi

Too much shit going on.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Entire season would have been redeemed if Home lander eye beaming the crowd hadn't been a daydream.

When that scene started I was hoping for a killer rampage from Homelander. When it happened I was like FUCK YES finally something interesting, let's see what happens now and they go and fuck it up by making it a daydream.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I knew it was a daydream as soon as the crowd turned against him that they were going to pull a bait and switch moment like that.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's not exciting enough for that. It's really just lame.

This right here is the reason you drop all the episodes at once. If you've gotta kickass ending, drop it all once. I'm thinking that the producers of the show had a fight with Amazon, 'cause no one is watching shit on Amazon right now. Netflix is just simply kicking their ass. Amazon wanted the show to come out a week at a time, because hey, more eyeballs on us. "Hey, look, we have UberShitShow002!"

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont know I think there is a steep downside to dropping shows all at once. Its consumed too quickly and the result is the show has no legs. Imagine if season 1 of GoT dropped all at once? It wouldnt have had nearly the same impact as far as viewers (weekly viewers is a subset of data all its own to begin with) and less people would have been talking about it.

The happy middle is what HBO Max is doing with Raised by wolves. 2 episodes a week. If you run 8 episodes that is a month of programming. A month is a decent amount of time for a show to hit. I mean, think about it, a month is waaaaay longer than 2-3 days, which is the amount of time it takes for most people to binge a show they enjoy.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Counterpoint: House of Cards season 1. Which everyone was talking about. Everywhere.

• 1Like

Cybsled

HoC was also talked about a lot because it was the first major streaming show that matched the stuff put out by regular TV

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Counterpoint :

I found GoT extremely boring in the beginning and just never watched the show because of that. All of this fucking hype over GoT just to see it dashed in S8 (9, fuck, IDK, I didn't watch the show). *shrug* If they had dropped all of the shows at once, I would'a at least given it to episode 3 before I quit watching it. The way it was dropped? Episode 1, boring as fuck... Moving on.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users