The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

iannis

Musty Nester
I thought the skesis and cow dudes always were aliens and gelflings were the indigenous conquered people.

That's why the one eyed witch had her giant ... what are those things called, there's a name for them. the planitarium thing.

It's a fairy tale so it's pretty loose.. .and it's been probably 10 years since I watched it last. I have the impression that it was a metaphor for America. You know, the dichotomy of man and The Savage (brave new world style) on a personal quest to unfuck them and save himself.

Except henson wrote a much happier ending than Huxley!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I guess going by the source material leaves me in the wat.GIF...

I just watched the dark crystal for the first time in its entirety.

The intro was like "these dudes broke the crystal and broke themselves... all the shards were found and put together... but the crystal was complete and turned dark... last shard must be reunited. There were 9 and 9 of the mystics and bird dudes."

so...

Now it was turned dark by the bid guys just being bad... and they are aliens... okay I get that- they looked like aliens when they reformed at the end.

I haven't seen the mystics and are all the bird dudes the same 9? Shouldn't they be?
Or whatever number...

Okay well, I suppose I'll stop bitching here and only half through ep1 lol but I do kinda like discussing plot differences and different takes on things etc

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My girlfriend has never seen the original, you guys think it's required before this or can she go in blind?

Siliconemelons

i would say no- start with the new one, then OG... so in chronological order vs release... but again... I am half and episode in lulzzz

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I’m on episode 7. It’s about as good as PG can possibly get. I can tell this is going to be a slow build for multiple seasons, which is fine by me.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is some top rate muppeting. I am on like episode 7 and its still really good. There were a few cgi scenes that are a bit noticable overall the practical puppet effects are the bulk of it with cgi accenting and overall just really well done.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So I had rewatched the film a couple weeks back in preparation for this (and because it was a nice remastered version) and I spent the first 15 mins of the first episode going 'wait... what??'

The storyline in the original movie was pretty basic --- Crystal is heart of planet and super powerful guardians protect it, crystal gets broken and guardians split into good/evil but are still linked to their original self (hence why they die in pairs). Hero fixes the crystal and they merge back into their proper form as the corruption of the world falls away to reveal the way things should be.

Granted that story doesn't really lend itself to a prequel, but Sigourney Weaver's intro seems to retcon the whole deal.

Siliconemelons

So I had rewatched the film a couple weeks back in preparation for this (and because it was a nice remastered version) and I spent the first 15 mins of the first episode going 'wait... what??'

The storyline in the original movie was pretty basic --- Crystal is heart of planet and super powerful guardians protect it, crystal gets broken and guardians split into good/evil but are still linked to their original self (hence why they die in pairs). Hero fixes the crystal and they merge back into their proper form as the corruption of the world falls away to reveal the way things should be.

Granted that story doesn't really lend itself to a prequel, but Sigourney Weaver's intro seems to retcon the whole deal.

Exactly my point...

But I assume the plot fixes itself? I guess I have to watch more...haven't had time to get back into it...

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I have faith in this development team that the plot will indeed fix itself. The sheer detail put into some of these scenes is just bonkers given that its nearly all practical effect puppets.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I watched 10 minutes of this and shut it off. Puppets just dont do it for me, so cheesey.

• 1Picard

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Finished up the first season and I thought it was great. It get significantly darker around episode 7 or so. 8/10

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Finished up the first season and I thought it was great. It get significantly darker around episode 7 or so. 8/10

Darker than an eye being eaten by a (really shitty CGI) bug in episode TWO?

Ok, I am only on episode 3 but I do not see a clean way for them to reconcile the movie with the series. In the movie the UrSkek were the guardians of the Crystal until it cracked and the shard fell off, separating each one into Uru and Skeksis. In the show, the Skesis are aliens that are not of Thra and we haven't seen an Uru (Mystic) at all.

If they say that the movie is the true story than it means the TV show has to have the the UruSkek coming to Thra over 1000 trine ago, bargining with Ograh (like the narrator said) and then experimenting with the (then clear) Crystal of Truth and splitting 1000 trine ago with the Skesis erasing the history of the Uru and maybe keeping them captive in the forbidden catacombs.

It the TV show narrator is the true story then the narrator in the movie is an unreliable narrator telling the story that the gelfling have passed down to each other since the Skeksis put them down during the Age of Resistance.

I am eager to see if they reconcile them at some point.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It the TV show narrator is the true story then the narrator in the movie is an unreliable narrator telling the story that the gelfling have passed down to each other since the Skeksis put them down during the Age of Resistance.

this is what i've been telling myself. only on episode 2 here tho, so maybe we've just got a ways to go, yeah.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Darker than an eye being eaten by a (really shitty CGI) bug in episode TWO?

Ok, I am only on episode 3 but I do not see a clean way for them to reconcile the movie with the series. In the movie the UrSkek were the guardians of the Crystal until it cracked and the shard fell off, separating each one into Uru and Skeksis. In the show, the Skesis are aliens that are not of Thra and we haven't seen an Uru (Mystic) at all.

If they say that the movie is the true story than it means the TV show has to have the the UruSkek coming to Thra over 1000 trine ago, bargining with Ograh (like the narrator said) and then experimenting with the (then clear) Crystal of Truth and splitting 1000 trine ago with the Skesis erasing the history of the Uru and maybe keeping them captive in the forbidden catacombs.

I am eager to see if they reconcile them at some point.

The origins of the crystal and the skeksis/Uru are revealed in detail around episode 6 or so. If I recall, It's explained that the UrSkek came to earth and were guardians of the crystal and were split in two-- Skeksis and Uru, and only when the crystal is healed can Skeksis/Uru rejoin. Skeksis/Uru are symbiotically linked-- kill a Skeksis and his Uru half dies, and vice versa. Don't quote me, but that's how I remember it. I'm probably missing some details, and haven't watched the original in decades, but it sounds very similar to what you describe in the movie.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The origins of the crystal and the skeksis/Uru are revealed in detail around episode 6 or so. If I recall, It's explained that the UrSkek came to earth and were guardians of the crystal and were split in two-- Skeksis and Uru, and only when the crystal is healed can Skeksis/Uru rejoin. Skeksis/Uru are symbiotically linked-- kill a Skeksis and his Uru half dies, and vice versa. Don't quote me, but that's how I remember it. I'm probably missing some details, and haven't watched the original in decades, but it sounds very similar to what you describe in the movie.

I'm just happy that they get around to it in the first season!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I re-watched Dark Crystal for the first time in over 25 years, I saw it a few times when it came out, but had mostly forgotten about it.

Sadly, I didn't enjoy the movie as I did when I was a kid. I tried watching the series anyways thinking that maybe a more modern take would resonate a bit more with me, but it didn't, so I stopped after 1 episode.

The show looks amazing though, the puppets are first rate.

• 1Like