The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I re-watched Dark Crystal for the first time in over 25 years, I saw it a few times when it came out, but had mostly forgotten about it.

Sadly, I didn't enjoy the movie as I did when I was a kid. I tried watching the series anyways thinking that maybe a more modern take would resonate a bit more with me, but it didn't, so I stopped after 1 episode.

The show looks amazing though, the puppets are first rate.

It's okay, you're just a bad person.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Just finished it and think it was a 9/10. It was weird since, like the movie, it was rated PG and the story is obviously meant to follow tropes that pre-teen to teens would follow and like; but at the same time there are some very dark themes that are eye opening even for adults (just like the movie). We had dismemberment, impalement, murder, and suicide to name a few.

They absolutely nailed everything about the look and feel of the original movie for the entire series and anyone who disagrees that it is a 10/10 on that aspect would need provide a ton of proof. It only really loses a point for me because they chose to maintain the adolescent story/dialogue instead of updating it for the age of the original movie fans. Not a big deal because every single bit of the puppetry was great to watch and really enjoyable.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
7/10

Started out strong but the writing half way in was pretty bad.

The look and feel of it was perfect. Far too much boring dialogue with the gelfings and not enough Skeskis. I think around ep 7 or 8 I would just skip some of the gelfing scenes. I didn't miss much.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
7/10

Started out strong but the writing half way in was pretty bad.

The look and feel of it was perfect. Far too much boring dialogue with the gelfings and not enough Skeskis. I think around ep 7 or 8 I would just skip some of the gelfing scenes. I didn't miss much.

If they had Mark Hamil say 'essence' one more time I would've dropped my score another point.

Zinc

Trakanon Raider
Just finished watching. Agree a few scenes did drag along a bit too long. But I'm happy that they done the film justice.

Hope they do a season 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Took a while for me to finish it. Damn, it's gorgeous. I wish the story was better... But for little kids I think it might be about perfect.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, after watching that (I rarely watch the making of docs) it really gave a context to my unease about the series. The production team and the puppeteers are on another level. The writing staff and voice actors are mostly just average. Except for the one silly nerd inventing podling and writing YA novels. He seems legit.

I guess it sounds like an insult to the writing staff and it sort of is but it's also sort of not. Who the fuck DO you call on to follow up Jim Henson storywise? Well... his daughters. The production and puppeteers carried them though. It seems like they do have the grace to recognize it as true.

It's art in motion taken as a whole. It really is. The only weak point is the writing. I dunno if Peter Beagle is still alive, but I feel like he's the only man that could have done it.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, after watching that (I rarely watch the making of docs) it really gave a context to my unease about the series. The production team and the puppeteers are on another level. The writing staff and voice actors are mostly just average. Except for the one silly nerd inventing podling and writing YA novels. He seems legit.

I guess it sounds like an insult to the writing staff and it sort of is but it's also sort of not. Who the fuck DO you call on to follow up Jim Henson storywise? Well... his daughters. The production and puppeteers carried them though. It seems like they do have the grace to recognize it as true.

It's art in motion taken as a whole. It really is. The only weak point is the writing. I dunno if Peter Beagle is still alive, but I feel like he's the only man that could have done it.

Beagle is on his way out unfortunately. I went to a Last unicorn event with him at a movie theater a few years back, and ordered a shirt and signed book(s) and things. Never got them because some fuckstain was pulling an elder abuse situation on him similar to Stan Lee or something. Beagle appeared to be early stage dementia at the event, but I did very much enjoy speaking to him. He told me about how he came up with the cat character, was pretty funny.

Caliane

starting this. wow the production value...

ps, the whole deception/framing thing seems a bit silly when Gelfings can share their experiences with a handshake.. Tree prophecy, ok lets shake hands and I'll show you... or, nah lets not anymore. They said you killed Mira, well I didn't. let me show you. wow you didnt. well, lets not share this with anyone else. A bit more effort into justifying these actions I guess..

Skesis could go either way. thousands of years of rule, they should know Gelflings can do that. on the other hand, they are arrogant and self absorbed. so they could also have not noticed in thousands of years of rule...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
starting this. wow the production value...

ps, the whole deception/framing thing seems a bit silly when Gelfings can share their experiences with a handshake.. Tree prophecy, ok lets shake hands and I'll show you... or, nah lets not anymore. They said you killed Mira, well I didn't. let me show you. wow you didnt. well, lets not share this with anyone else. A bit more effort into justifying these actions I guess..

Skesis could go either way. thousands of years of rule, they should know Gelflings can do that. on the other hand, they are arrogant and self absorbed. so they could also have not noticed in thousands of years of rule...

They did know. Weren’t they the ones telling people not to Dreamfast with Rian or they would get infected like he was? His dad didn’t even do it, he said something like “they’re right he’s infected” when Rian offered to dreamfast with him.

I mean, it didn’t really make sense because every person that knew him his whole life are trusting the word of a skeksis over his word and he wasn’t portrayed as a known liar, but they did account for the dreamfasting. Unless I’m remembering wrong, I watched those episodes a couple weeks ago.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, they did address that.

This is a childrens story mostly so there are a fair number of things that you have to agree to overlook as not being super consistent with internal logic. Kids won't notice that, they'll just take it at face value the whole way through.

I thought at first it made it less. But really it just made it a little bit different that what I was expecting.

It surprised me in the making of docu that someone mentioned they wanted to incorporate a love story bewteen rian and deet. That was another one that came across as child like. There wasn't any real focus on it until dee was making those bombs and they had that exchange where she got shy. I kinda thought it was an afterthought or a touch of color, not a theme... but it would make perfect sense if you were 6-14 years old.

Caliane

yeah, they address in the fact, Skesis are just idiots I guess.

Finished this up. 10/10 for me. recommend to all your friends.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally finished this after leaving the last few episodes unwatched for months and months.

Did they ever give a concrete confirmation that a second season is in production?

iannis

Musty Nester
No idea. It could not have been cheap to make, and Netflix doesn't seem to be throwing money into the air these days.

He nice if they did.

Goatface

We can confirm that there will not be an additional season of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. We know fans are eager to learn how this chapter of The Dark Crystal saga concludes and we’ll look for ways to tell that story in the future.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

We can confirm that there will not be an additional season of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. We know fans are eager to learn how this chapter of The Dark Crystal saga concludes and we’ll look for ways to tell that story in the future.

Good

long live the Skeskis

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?

Caliane

balls

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

They'll probably do a comic like they did for Farscape to continue the story post PK Wars