The Division 2

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I just downloaded this a week or so ago. Used the level 30 boost. I’m up to like 36 and I’m going around doing quests but I really have no idea WTF I’m doing, learning as I go.

Is there any particular hints or things I should be doing that are a big boost in power or whatever a new player might not know about? Or do I just keep concentrating on leveling up and finishing quests above all else.

Gear is kinda confusing, I look at green numbers but I reckon at level 40 I should start building towards particular things.

Hosix

All labs matter!
Just keep leveling.

Builds are starting to pop up that work well. Once you get 40 you can farm pieces to build as you want.

I recently did a mortar build with stinger hive. Using over charge I am actually dealing pretty decent damage. Of course aiming the mortar is ass.

Last edited:

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Eh, just about anything works while leveling.

When you hit 40 though, the easiest progression path is to look out for gear that contains 3 red (primary-weapon damage, secondary 1/2 - critical hit chance/critical hit damage) and stack that gear. Then worry about optimizing that gear with a brand bonus that furthers that goal or has a special "named" item only affix like the Petrov brand "Contractor's Gloves" which have damage to armor on them (which only comes on weapons by default) or "Fox's Prayer" kneepads from Overlord which have % damage to targets out of cover.

https ://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTJEX5DerCvOj3a_m36TRy1gPBAUvrduOIdmXI9j1Y0MpQk1wIXaZ9KOcPa7HzXzp_N5qGmjDj6yEfL/pubhtml? (remove the space after https if you want to save this somewhere)

You can also just youtube up some builds once you've got a full set of reds and can actually kill stuff for more weird stuff like tank builds or healer builds or tech skill builds. But I'd start by just throwing on all of the +damage moar gooderer gear you can find at the start and saving bits of kit that have top end rolls and are focused on 1 or 2 types (reds/yellows/blues). I wouldn't stockpile gear with 1 in each category unless they're all 'god' rolls and you know which one you want to roll off to focus the piece better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It's still just absolutely insane how fast you die currently at 40. Just went pure dps, because no matter what you are dying. Dealing way more damage now, so at least I have some chance with a Providence 3 piece, all red attribute build. Definitely need a higher crit chance though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah even with the OP red builds (M1A, 3 Prov/Grupo/Ceska, Fox, Contractor, Coyote or Hollow Man) you do not want to approach any fights head on. 1-2 enemies you can easily burst down before they can do much damage... half a dozen though, you pop out of cover and immediately can't aim and then die right after.

Massive can eat a dick for deciding to screw over solo/duo players while fixing 3-4 man group scaling too. Especially when you can still run around on heroic and the vast majority of gear doesn't even have one ~max roll let alone approach an actual godroll. Most of the stuff I loot has all three rolls under 50% on the bars.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Eh, just about anything works while leveling.

When you hit 40 though, the easiest progression path is to look out for gear that contains 3 red (primary-weapon damage, secondary 1/2 - critical hit chance/critical hit damage) and stack that gear. Then worry about optimizing that gear with a brand bonus that furthers that goal or has a special "named" item only affix like the Petrov brand "Contractor's Gloves" which have damage to armor on them (which only comes on weapons by default) or "Fox's Prayer" kneepads from Overlord which have % damage to targets out of cover.

https ://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTJEX5DerCvOj3a_m36TRy1gPBAUvrduOIdmXI9j1Y0MpQk1wIXaZ9KOcPa7HzXzp_N5qGmjDj6yEfL/pubhtml? (remove the space after https if you want to save this somewhere)

You can also just youtube up some builds once you've got a full set of reds and can actually kill stuff for more weird stuff like tank builds or healer builds or tech skill builds. But I'd start by just throwing on all of the +damage moar gooderer gear you can find at the start and saving bits of kit that have top end rolls and are focused on 1 or 2 types (reds/yellows/blues). I wouldn't stockpile gear with 1 in each category unless they're all 'god' rolls and you know which one you want to roll off to focus the piece better.

Got it, thanks! Will follow this as I go along.

Hosix

All labs matter!
So I finally completed the Neptune bounty. I only did it on challenging but jfc that was brutal solo. Constant issues where I would kill everything off and have just Neptune. Then BAM! Random bad guys patrol close by ass fuck me.

I finally was able to do cause some random greens patrol was close. They ended up in a shootout with the robo dog who roamed by.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Massive slammed down the ban hammer yesterday for people using the gun turret exploit to boost their dps. 1 week suspension and rolled back their accounts to 2 weeks ago. Apparently there are those who did use it (even gloating about it on reddit) got lucky and didn't get hit, and there are those who didn't exploit and got hit... so it's another massive mess on their hands, and there's still another dps glitch around. Now the community is blaming massive for the bugs and not the exploiters abusing bugs which triggered them to do a ban wave. Oh well I didn't exploit, didn't get hit.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Poster has some legit points, I suppose.

But in online gaming, knowingly abusing in game glitches (or exploits, as we have known them in the MMO community for years) has been bannable since online gaming began. Fuck this guy.

Vorph

Didn't use the glitch, didn't get banned, but I did cancel my Uplay+ last night before the billing happened. I don't know what happened to Massive, but after seeing the state of the game after this expansion--which is worse than The Division has ever been, and that includes the whole of Div 1--I have no faith in them ever getting Div 2 to the level of quality Div 1 was (is) at the end. Hell, even Ghost Recon Breakpoint is in (slightly) better shape now.

I'd be playing Div 1 instead when I get the itch for a game of this type, except Ubi is fucking retarded and despite them having all the user data for all platforms easily accessible they've never even mentioned any possibility of doing cross-save for anything but sharing Div 2 on Stadia with PC. There's no way I'd start over from scratch on PC when I have nearly everything from gear to guns to cosmetics on PS4, but I'd still play the game just to try to max out D3 and maybe one or two other sets I never used. And because, unlike Div 2, it's actually a fun, well-balanced, and mostly bugfree game.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I too have a hankering for some Division again but Div 1 sounds way better right about now.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
So I read on the reddit Division 2 about how people are using the green gear for bonuses with success in builds. This was said by the developers and by some white knights I am sure.

I tried the one set that was focused on tech. It was lame and the DPS seemed to be lacking. My skill build with acosta go bag was much better.

I tried the one that gives the free health pack/armor bonus every 20 seconds? Again my dps dropped so much I would get overrun before I could kill guys.

I checked the leaderboards for shits and grins. Who can run the space museum in 6 minutes? Gtfo. That’s insane!

Back to my all dps red build with a bakers dozen.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So I read on the reddit Division 2 about how people are using the green gear for bonuses with success in builds. This was said by the developers and by some white knights I am sure.

I tried the one set that was focused on tech. It was lame and the DPS seemed to be lacking. My skill build with acosta go bag was much better.

I tried the one that gives the free health pack/armor bonus every 20 seconds? Again my dps dropped so much I would get overrun before I could kill guys.

I checked the leaderboards for shits and grins. Who can run the space museum in 6 minutes? Gtfo. That’s insane!

Back to my all dps red build with a bakers dozen.
Leaderboards are full of people doing the damage exploit with the open world turret bugs and doing like 3 million a bullet.

The sets are pretty bad outside of being a tank and using the Patriot set for the damage bonus the enemies take. The lack of 4 secondary stats, and usually 1 or 2 key dps perks is huge for a mediocre 4pc.

All reds > everything else unfortunately for solo play.

I've tried using my full tank build for shits and giggles. I'm nearly unkillable if I'm not flanked, but nothing dies in a reasonable amount of time. My skill builds are complete garbage because the enemies can dodge seekers like Matrix Agents every time, and the drone gets murdered in half a second.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So I’ve put like 30 hours into this game.

I’ve got two exotic weapons and a green set of matching armor.

I’ve done a ton of heroic and challenging things with people and don’t ever really get upgrades or more exotics. Kinda boring in that sense.

I did a raid for the first time today and beat that, and I don’t even think a named of any kind dropped that I remember.

Is there something in particular I should be doing?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
So I’ve put like 30 hours into this game.

I’ve got two exotic weapons and a green set of matching armor.

I’ve done a ton of heroic and challenging things with people and don’t ever really get upgrades or more exotics. Kinda boring in that sense.

I did a raid for the first time today and beat that, and I don’t even think a named of any kind dropped that I remember.

Is there something in particular I should be doing?

If you like the game and endless killing and farming of the same missions... you can go collect all the masks, get all the exotics, farm for different builds, farm for more different builds, even more builds, try some team based pvp if you like that.

Sure, you can finish the game and all content in 30-100 hours depending on how much you can play with pretty much just random shit you find on the ground. The long term game is going for specific builds and just hanging out with people.

Crit builds, tech builds, sniper, lmg, assault, smg builds. Its really up to you but you kinda have finished the game if youve done every mission.

Destiny 2 is free and a solid 60-600 hours if you havent played it and like looter shooters.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Well yeah, I’m cool with farming for stuff, I’d like to do a build or two, was just curious if there’s any particularly best way to get exotics, or just keep doing anything and it’s all random.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Well yeah, I’m cool with farming for stuff, I’d like to do a build or two, was just curious if there’s any particularly best way to get exotics, or just keep doing anything and it’s all random.
A few of the exotics have a (quest) to them where you have to get this part or this and that during certain stages but most of it is pretty random for all of them.

I dont remember the specifics since its been so long but all the data was mined and figured out a long ass time ago. Exotics are cool and all but i highly doubt any build really requires one that cant be outmatched by something else at the nornal high end gun. Just gotta do some googling and see what or where it drops.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
A few of the exotics have a (quest) to them where you have to get this part or this and that during certain stages but most of it is pretty random for all of them.

I dont remember the specifics since its been so long but all the data was mined and figured out a long ass time ago. Exotics are cool and all but i highly doubt any build really requires one that cant be outmatched by something else at the nornal high end gun. Just gotta do some googling and see what or where it drops.
Makes sense, thanks for the info.

Vorph

There's really only two must-have exotics and even then they're only needed for specific builds: Liberty if you want to play the strongest shield build, and Acosta's Go Bag is pretty much required for any skill build to be at all competitive.

First one is crafted from parts you get doing True Sons missions, starting at the capitol building; second is from any faction locked box ( I got mine from the Hyena one right by the White House, but it can come from any in DC or NY). Exotics that are crafted or only drop from specific bosses/factions/DZ/Kenly College shit will drop more or less anywhere once you get them once. Except for Eagle Bearer, I'm pretty sure that's locked to the raid forever, but fortunately it's nowhere close to meta anymore.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Year one exotics can be had from anywhere, they have a chance to drop from every mob or gear and weapon boxes, but the rates are low, targeted loot helps but not as much as before tu8. You can farm bosses for a higher chance, higher difficulty gives a higher percentage. Another source now for year one exotics with god rolls is the exotic chest from the season stuff.

You can also craft/quest for some of the year one exotics, namely nemesis sniper rifle, liberty pistol, dodge city holster, chatterbox smg.
Merciless rifle, sweet dreams shotgun, pestilence lmg, sawyer knee pads, btsu gloves, chameleon ar, are all random drops.
Eagle bearer ar is raid only drop, Diamondback rifle is kenly college drop for finishing it.

Year two exotics can be had in certain ways.
The bighorn ar from legendary levels, 5% drop rate.
Bullet king lmg from riker missions so wall street and tombs, 7% drop rate heroic.
Lady death smg from the named bosses in ny zones the deck of 22 bosses, 3% drop rate.
Acosta's go bag backpack random from any faction crates, 3% drop rate.
Tardigrade chest from true sons missions, 7% drop rate heroic.
Imperial dynasty holster from cleaner missions, 7% drop rate heroic.
Ninjabike kneepads from darkzone supply drops, 3% drop rate.
Coyote mask from season reward level 35 or from boss named coyote from jefferson trade center mission.

All invaded, heroic missions/strongholds apparently have 8% chance to drop all year one exotics, legendary levels have 10% drop rate.

Most of these are junk now since the talent rework, you can't recal, and stats are random just like everything else, there isn't anything there that are absolute required items, but they add a different flavor to builds, like liberty, acostas, coyote, tardigrade, and pestilence.