The Division 2

Brikker

Trump's Staff
For anyone knowledgeable about this game, is there a "best" specialization? Especially for a primarily solo player.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I assume you're asking about the 6 specializations? Not really a best one, it just depends on what build you're making for whatever play style. Sniper is good for mmr and rifle builds, Survivalist is good for healing/support, Demolitionist is good for explosive builds like seeker mines/explosive sticky/mortar turret, Gunner is good for most gun/tank type builds, Technician is good for all skill builds, Firewall is good for burn builds and some tanky builds as it provides buffs to those behind you.

There's viable builds for just about everything. Any type of build can be used for solo, even the cc ones if you hybrid built it for damage. Just a matter of what you want to use.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Grenade Launcher was EZ mode compared to sniper rifle and crossbow when the game first came out. No idea if they ever re-balanced them. The other specializations weren't out then and I decided not to grind for them after they made it a tedious slog.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I don't pick specializations for the special weapon, but for the 4-6 unique talents in them that can help your build. But yes demo was a monster in the beginning, think it's been adjusted slightly down, but it should still do decent damage, tech rockets and gunner minigun should also be decent I think.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it seems like to me the talents are what really matters. I don’t even see people barely using the weapons. I don’t think I’ve actually even remembered to use them in like two months of play.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So what is the general progression for a fresh
40? I'm running Tactician to get skill points for it and I prefer Rifles and MMRs typically. I did a couple level 4 Control Points in NY and it was rough. Multiple deaths but beat them eventually. Got some set pieces but nothing I'm using yet. I'm running seeker mine/assault turret with +skill gear right now.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
It’s a lot more fun to call for help for a lot of stuff like the level 4 CPs in my opinion. Some of them can be pretty crazy / worse than others.

You can usually get a full group in like 5-10 minutes of waiting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
So what is the general progression for a fresh
40? I'm running Tactician to get skill points for it and I prefer Rifles and MMRs typically. I did a couple level 4 Control Points in NY and it was rough. Multiple deaths but beat them eventually. Got some set pieces but nothing I'm using yet. I'm running seeker mine/assault turret with +skill gear right now.

Personally, I always run the daily PvE quest. That usually involves running a mission, donating 50 supplies, and doing like 3 side quests in a certain zone. Also you have to kill named, but doing the mission usually takes care of that. I like doing bounties because they are fairly easy to solo except for heroic ones.

Progression at this point unfortunately is to just keep improving your gear and your SHD level. Eventually you will hit a wall as far as gear is concerned where you will no longer get upgrades except rarely. I don't think I have changed my main loadout in about a month.

Max out your recalibration station whenever you can. Try to keep anything with 2 or 3 perfect rolls instead of breaking those down, you never know if you will need it for some build. For yellow skill build obviously you want anything that has +1 skill tier and +skill damage, I think China Industry is something you want to look into.

I have been doing Season 1, it's a reasonable filler. I run timed missions to rank up, its pretty easy to get 60 levels because it resets after a week, so in reality you only need to get about 30 levels a week, which is not hard to do at all. The rewards are meh, but you do get 1 exotic cache.

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
You can go some different routes, there's a lot of options to use.

If you prefer rifle/mmr then you can just use the meta rifle build which is using bakers dozen/classic m1a rifle, which does the best damage right now but will be nerfed soon. They tried to nerf it last patch, but because it was left out of the notes they caught backlash for it and rolled it back, but they will nerf it. But you can build it for 60% crit chance(that's the cap) crit damage, head damage, fox'a prayer kneepads, contractor's gloves. providence pieces the rest.

MMR build can use 4 piece aces and eights gear set, pristine example airaldi holding chest for perfect focus. Or full set airaldi, 1 piece providence. For the mmr use the nemesis exotic, or white death for highest headshot damage(gets like 25% more than other mmr's. For skills on these builds typically something to heal and revive hive.

For a skill build running turret/seekers, can go different routes here, use the gold pieces to build for skill level, haste, power with technician. You can go bomber route with Demolitionist and use artillery turret in it with seekers. You can also go seekers with hardwire set which has the set bonus of resetting one skill when you use another every 20s, you can lower that to 10s with the hardwire backpiece talent, and basically you set out seekers, then drop either a hive or pop shield(these two you can quickly deploy and pack up) and reset the cooldown for seekers every 10s. You can also get skilled talent on chest piece and get the seekers to reset after every skill kill(this talent can go nuts in the art turret/seeker build).

As for progression... get shd levels, fill out the recal library, do the seasonal stuff, raid I guess, while constantly trying to upgrade gear.

New meta this week is going striker drone(it's survival got buffed last patch), with assault turret, build with tech, skill levels, power, haste.
A lot of other builds out there, this thread probably outdated now but has a lot of build examples in it
And the gear sheet is around if you want to put something together on your own.

• 2Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I’m actually doing drone / turret myself right now with 6 skill / overcharge from backpack / good haste. It’s really quite good damage even in heroic...I’ve been able to “solo” some really tough spots just by throwing them out in a group while people are dying.

Not that it really matters, but the only lame part is I don’t think damage for them shows up at the end tally.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'm still just running full Red (60% crit chance - make weapon damage and crit damage as high as possible) with perfect glass cannon etc. I die almost instantly, but everyone seemingly does. DPS is insane though in groups.

I always call for help regardless, CP4s are much more enjoyable with teammates and people usually join in minutes. I haven't played in a couple weeks but I'm essentially doing the manhunt stuff and the season leagues when active.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Swapped to the drone to go with assault turret, seems pretty good. I've been just matchmaking bounties and missions at Challenging difficulty for the most part. Definitely mostly getting carried.

Thanks for the reddit guides, those are handy.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Once you get six +skill the turret / drones are currently a beast. Hope they don't get nerfed. I've never been able to solo difficult stuff so easily. Not that I like soloing, I always call for help or join a random group, but even at Heroic I throw my grenade out to get overcharge, get the drone and turret out, and I can solo tier 4 CPs and other events like I never could before. Even without overcharge they're perfectly capable.

And I've got enough haste that I've got like 12 second cooldown on them, so in a group I can easily dismantle them and get ready for the next battle spot.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Looks like games $10 on Epic Store atm. not sure if its on sale elsewhere but I think i remember someone holding out for a sale.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I've been playing this. Did the main game, side missions, cleared all the zones. Decided to move on to New York after doing the Capitol final mission. Did I miss out on anything by skipping the D.C. black tusk stuff and going to the expac?

Game is really fun overall. A shame you all say it's no good at end game.

Its not that its not good, its good. Its a solid 3rd person shooter. The problem is at end game it gets super repetitive and the loot grind sucks. Even after the update to loot, it even sucked more before.

That skyscraper mode, if true, sounds really good and what this game needs more of. There is only so many times you want to do the same missions over and over again.

• 2Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is probably a dumb question, but until recently I quit playing since around TU4. How in the hell does targeted loot work? I know you go to wherever the target drops are and farm events or whatever, but doesb higher stat stuff drop from the targeted loot in missions, or is it a crapshoot like it is with the world drops?

105 watch running on challenging if that means anything.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're just targeting the slot, gear brand, or type of gun. Everything else is a crapshoot, and will be garbage 99% of the time. After a few days you have a base level of gear for a build that's at least 'functional' and that turns into 99.9+% garbage, and only the couple missions with an early boss that can be reset quickly (for that 1 guaranteed piece of targeted loot) are worth bothering with.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're just targeting the slot, gear brand, or type of gun. Everything else is a crapshoot, and will be garbage 99% of the time. After a few days you have a base level of gear for a build that's at least 'functional' and that turns into 99.9+% garbage, and only the couple missions with an early boss that can be reset quickly (for that 1 guaranteed piece of targeted loot) are worth bothering with.
Yeah that's what I figured, same garbage as before once you get a few loadouts set up. Thanks man!